ADVERTISEMENT

Stats Keeping App vs Paper Record Keeping on sidelines

Oct 25, 2014
With hoping the season will happen, how does everyone keep track of official stats on the sidelines ? And of the ways you keep track, which seems to be the most comprehensive way, while also being the easiest to work with on the sidelines ?

Is there an app that is better than paper / spreadsheet tracking ?

If you're the official statistician for your team, the first thing I'd recommend is to get off the sidelines and find a seat near the PA announcer and scoreboard operator for home games. That way you can see better (higher angle), and can relay accurate info to them. For road games, try to get a seat in the press box or coaches box, if available.

If you use an app, remember that you get what you pay for. Free apps will probably be limited as to what type of info you can input, and how detailed you can get. If there's a demand from your AD or coach for immediate/"live" stats online during a game, an app will be your only option. When I worked alone, I used paper (graph paper made for easy layout), and just developed a shorthand play-by-play system that could be easily tabulated after the game.

The absolute ideal situation is two people, working from an elevated position. One person can call/spot what's going on, and the second person can write/enter data. That way there's always a set of eyes on the field, and less chance of missing something (e.g., who forced that fumble, who tipped that pass). Obviously, at some schools that isn't possible due to lack of personnel and/or lack of space.

Reactions: cjm3260
I sit in the coaches box and write everything out on a excel spreadsheet that I made. It was easiest for me and my mind to work that way. Then type out the play by play later. Separate it into the information that the coaches want to know like down by down, drive summaries, time of possession. It takes time but is usually pretty valuable week to week.

With hoping the season will happen, how does everyone keep track of official stats on the sidelines ? And of the ways you keep track, which seems to be the most comprehensive way, while also being the easiest to work with on the sidelines ?

Is there an app that is better than paper / spreadsheet tracking ?

We've been shorthanded some seasons so have had to take sideline stats. Hudl has worked well as it's very intuitive. You can also go back and edit once you have watched film.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT