ADVERTISEMENT

State this Saturday

For 1A boys Will have to go with either Moser, Wanders, or Kolacia. West Lyon has to be the team Favorite. Rebekah Topham has to be the favorite on the girls side.

Rebekah Topham is definitely the only given to win. The real question is if she's the best in the State or just in Class 1A. I'd love to see how she would do in the Class 4A race.

Got to see Waymire and Schweizer race at the Heartland Classic earlier this season. That would be great to see Topham in the same race as well.

In their only competition this year a healthy Moser ran away and left Wanders a distant second. Wanders went out fast and opened a gap - Moser ate his lunch in the second mile, and left him big time in the third mile. Moser has not been challenged this year by anyone from any class.

mfp,

Not to discredit your post, but wasn't that the second meet of the season (Keota if I'm not mistaken). I agree Moser has the edge on Wanders going into state, but much can change from the beginning of the season. At this point you'd hope both are 100% and ready to go Saturday. Should be a great race to watch. Being the SICL homer that I am, I'm pulling for Wanders to get the "W"

Yes it was Keota. I agree with your assessment of early season, previous wins don't give you any bonus points,you still have to run the race - I'm not a supporter of any team just an XC fan. I hope the weather is great, and all are healthy and 100% ready for a great race. Best of luck to all!!

Still think St. Edmond wins the team title and Kolacia wins individual. As far as team title goes, wouldn't be surprised if SE win by comfortable mrgin.

I dont think he will win it but watch out for Chandler Austin I really think he will suprise a lot of people, even though he already has high expectations.

Not sure how Chandler could surprise anyone. Boone and he have run well all season. The only surprise would be if he or Boone aren't on the awards stand at the end.

3A seems as loaded as its been in awhile, more than anything that will be a crazy ride for the team title. Not sure how the 1A state title will play out, more than anything it will be who can pull out a number 5 runner in under 17:45 or so.

Should be a great 3A race Saturday, but I can't imagine a race as crazy as last year's. Eight teams went home last year feeling they could have won. 118 won, 152 was 8th. That was insane!

I still think this is St. Eds team title to lose. We'll see on Saturday....

Maybe it's just me but looking at 3A boys this year I think the times aren't as fast (AS A WHOLE) as they have been in previous years. Yes, you have similar or faster times being run by the top individuals for 3A boys, but look at the times across the board for 3A boys teams from the number 1 through 7 runners. Sure I know the 6th and 7th runners (some which might run slower than 18:30) aren't as important since they don't neccessarily score points, but I'm just not impressed by the level of team strength I'm seeing this year from 3A. Teams like Wahlert, Knoxville, etc don't impress me as they have in previous years. I'm thinking Pella's in the driver's seat and Boone's riding shotgun, with everyone else fighting in the back seat for a shot at the armrest.

Hopefully come Saturday I see better results from the other teams I'm currently unimpressed with. Best wishes to all running.

Originally posted by CY82:
Originally posted by CY82:

Great quote from the Eddies coach this morning- no home course advantage- well maybe because the kids can sleep in their own beds and don't have to travel on a bus and we can eat at home. And yeah, we will get a lot more fans at the race and that really helps us alot. DUHH! Tell Dyersville, Council Bluffs that a 4 hour bus ride is good for you. Wow

I would agree that Pella is definitely in the driver's seat. With Bucheit up front, along with their depth, it looks like it will be hard to top them. How about on the girls side for 3A? Who looks to be the front runner?

He was referring to the actual course itself. Obviously it is an advantage to sleep in your own bed and have your own meals. Although, I don't think having more fans should play any part in how you perform--but, that is just my own opinion. But, I'm glad you feel you have to attack SE whenever you can.

St. Ed's coach did state those things you mentioned as advantages to St. Eds, what he pointed out as not being an advantage is that they don't run the course ahead of time as they don't run in Ft. Dodge's invite held on the state course.

More fans may or may not be a factor, depends on the type of runner you are. It can either be annoying or give you that extra urge to run a little bit harder that last mile.
This post was edited on 10/28 10:13 AM by Jako18

Not sure I would claim anyone is in the driver's seat, but in terms of how teams ran at the State Qualifying Meets the final rankings makes a great deal of sense.

If Assumption is without Elizabeth Mallon, that is unfortunate. Never count out Wahlert, they taper well every year from my perspective. DCG is a very talented team. This race could be similar to the boys' race last year, very close and more than a handful of teams going home proud that they ran well enough to have won it.

I don't lways take shots. I graduated with the guys from 2009 and liked all of them- Sandvig, Engler, Flattery, Mann. But he is already making excuses. Just say we love running in our backyard and leave it at that.

Making excuses for what? There is no dominant 1a team, by any means. Probably 4 teams that could win it if they run the meet 4 times. If Saint Edmond finishes 4th, that will not be a disappointment or out of the question. Or if they finish 1st it's not like they have been wire to wire favorites throughout the year.

Originally posted by bdrube:
Making excuses for what? There is no dominant 1a team, by any means. Probably 4 teams that could win it if they run the meet 4 times. If Saint Edmond finishes 4th, that will not be a disappointment or out of the question. Or if they finish 1st it's not like they have been wire to wire favorites throughout the year.

From the Messenger:

No. 1 Gaels ready for state

Host school ready to make a run

This will be the first time the Gaels have run this course, as they do not compete at the Fort Dodge Invitational during the year. Szalat feels like the only true advantages in having the state meet come from not being forced to get on a bus and travel to the site, and having more fans in attendance.

"It seems like the kids really feed of the crowd (at state)," Szalat said.

Coach thinks it's a huge advantage. #1, at home, biggest crowd, etc. It is a big advantage- just admit it and go ut and run.

Again, where is he making any excuses? I've known the nutjob for 13 years and he's never made excuses, and wouldn't.

Considering it is in Fort Dodge, St eds and will have a lot of home town support. I really think Kolacia has a good chance at winning the title but it wont be easy. With Reel, Mcclintock, Lastine, Hamilton, McCevoy and Eide to back Kolacia up, i just don t see any other team coming away with the team title.
This post was edited on 10/28 7:43 PM by 40ozPhil

3a boys top 10:
1. Buchheit - Pella
2. Huff - WSR
3. Austin - Boone
4. Mees - Marion
5. Steffensmeir - Ft. Madison
6. Carr - Grinnell
7. Smock - Mt. Vernon/Lisbon
8. Jones - Pella
9. Abrams - Glenwood
10. Yaeger - Boone OR Cunningham - Knoxville (cant decide_
Others: Albert Meier, Boone. Brandon Nelson, South Tama. Alex Ropes, Pella. All can run their way into the top ten if they run to their potential. Should be a great race!

Originally posted by West_Rocket:
Maybe it's just me but looking at 3A boys this year I think the times aren't as fast (AS A WHOLE) as they have been in previous years. Yes, you have similar or faster times being run by the top individuals for 3A boys, but look at the times across the board for 3A boys teams from the number 1 through 7 runners. Sure I know the 6th and 7th runners (some which might run slower than 18:30) aren't as important since they don't neccessarily score points, but I'm just not impressed by the level of team strength I'm seeing this year from 3A. Teams like Wahlert, Knoxville, etc don't impress me as they have in previous years. I'm thinking Pella's in the driver's seat and Boone's riding shotgun, with everyone else fighting in the back seat for a shot at the armrest.

Hopefully come Saturday I see better results from the other teams I'm currently unimpressed with. Best wishes to all running.

Wow, we were certainly wrong about the 3A boys field. 2010 had 6 under 16:00, 13 under 16:30 and 36 under 17:00. Obviously the weather was perfect, but it was very nice in 2010 as well. Yesterday 10 under 16:00, 23 under 16:30, 59 under 17:00.

Never more glad to be wrong. I was very impressed with the 3A boys race. If you go back a few years, the 20th place finishing time would be fast enough to be all-state, if not just outside of all-state placement. Just throwing that out there.

I noticed some individuals had huge races and season or personal bests. Some ran too aggressive at the start and suffered for their judgement. Regardless, many still ran great times Saturday. Hard to ask for better conditions and competition!

I can not recall a season in which the last finisher was under 19:00. That really shows the overall team depth as well.

I do not recall the state meet ever having better weather, which I'm sure contributed to the fast times. Regardless of that, those 4a times blew my mind. Not that Iowa hasn't had deep years or guys capable of approaching sub 15 before, but it really all came together this year. Pretty amazing.

Also, congrats to Larry Mullens Jr. and his 3rd place team finish and two all-state runners. Team trophy and two all-state runners are both firsts under his tenure as coach for SE.

This is the third straight year of this weather. It's been hard, firm ground and 45-50 temps for the last 3 years.

The only difference in 2009 was a bigger breeze.

This year and last year were pretty similar conditions; 2009 the ground was softer (there were a couple places with mud).

A few things were impressive - 4A races were both really fast, at the top and all the way through. 17:43 getting second to last in the boys 4A race is pretty amazing! Winds were calmest early in the day, and picked up by the 1A races, but still a good day.
I noticed Phillip Laux from IC West had a huge improvement - last year he ran for 1A Pekin in 17:11, this year for West he ran 15:46 (which is faster than the 1A meet record!). While the 4A race definitely pulls people to a faster time - some 1A winners of the past may have run something like 15:35 if put in the faster race - it was notable nonetheless.
Next year's 4A boys race could be one for the ages, with so many of the top 10 returning. If all the top guys stay healthy, I could see it taking 14:45 to get the win if the course and weather are good.
All the girls winners return, and it is always interesting to see how the fast freshmen and sophomore girls progress. It is often difficult to maintain early success, but not impossible - Katie Flood is an example; she is even better now that she is in college. Topham was probably the most impressive, hopefully she can continue - and maybe some new talent will come up to give her some competition!

There was definitely some breeze last year too. It's clear weather and course conditions contributed to the fast times. That's why it is virtually impossible to compare xc times from year to year. We could guess Kiel Uhl, Dak, etc... could have run faster but it's just us throwing that out there. Hard to quantify if 15:10 with a soft course and 15 mph winds is better or worse performance-wise than 14:53 with minimal wind and hard ground. Makes for conversation though!

Just a note - the 14:53 was revised to 15:02, as there was a timing error of 9 seconds across the board in 4A boys (not a huge surprise, as I had noticed a 8 second difference between my watch and the initial official results).

I think Uhl and Thomas could have broken 15 if the weather had been even close to perfect in 2004. And I might guess Dak's fast run on the soft course was worth 14:45 (I was not there that year, but based on what I have heard about the course and seeing his margin of victory, it was perhaps the best XC performance in boys state history).

However, the fastest runners from this year are returning, and could even have a race that comes close to 14:45 next year if things go right!

Very excited to watch next years 1A race, with the top 3 teams only losing a combined 6 seniors (if St. Eds stays 1A). Council Bluffs losing 3, West Lyon losing 2, and SE losing 1. The top 2 returning runners are also from Council Bluffs and SE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT