ADVERTISEMENT

state of iowa matchups for playoffs

ronsss

All Conference
Nov 8, 2003
i dont like the way iowa matches the teams in the playoffs, totally screwed up...i think they should go back to 2 or 4 out of each district, playing each other....the big screw up iowa did in matching, is xavior playing north scott in the first game of playoffs...these are final 4 teams, why are they playing in the first round...just one of the biggest screwups in all the years i have watched the state of iowa playoffs....thumbs down on the state doing that

And you don’t run into those matchups if you go district vs district? Last year it was Pella and Xavier. Next year it will be someone else. As I have always been told you have to beat them all to be champions
Let us look at your example of 2 from every district cross playing 1a vs 2b and 1b vs 2a. Let’s just say we take districts 4 and 5 for example. That would give us North Scott vs Xavier first round.
The only team that should use that excuse would be Independence since they were a district champ playing a district champ.

Last edited:
The Pella-Xavier matchup last year was also under the present RPI system (Pella last year was in Xavier’s position this year, as a strong 8-1 team that didn’t win their district), so that’s not exactly a good comeback to a complaint about the RPI system.

RPI isn’t perfect, and I’d like to see it tweaked somehow (maybe RPI actually takes precedence over district titles, at least for home games ... if you win your district with a 6-3 record, maybe an 8-1 at-large should get that home game) ... but I don’t think it’s a disaster. While some of the pairings (particularly Xavier-NS, Indee-Pella) might look a bit unfair to the eye-test, most other games looked to be seeded just right for the first round. I think we got pretty much the top 16 in the class in.

Just for grins in an earlier post, I used the 2017 playoff model to build this year’s brackets. I took the top two teams in each district (using the 17-point tiebreaker, that eliminated Glenwood from D-9). Since that made 18 teams, I then cut the lowest runners-up based on the 17-point tiebreaker (by far, that easily eliminated West Delaware and Spencer). Again using the 17-point tiebreaker to find the lowest-ranked district champion, that put Lewis Central on the road.

Here’s what a non-RPI bracket could have looked like:

Lewis Central at SBL
Carroll at Norwalk

Carlisle at Dallas Center-Grimes
Harlan at Pella
———
Oskaloosa at Solon
Xavier at Independence

Iowa City Liberty at Western Dubuque
Washington at North Scott

Now the Lewis Central-SBL game looks a little unfair for being the first round. The other 7 games look pretty good. You’d likely have a second round of LC or SBL vs Norwalk, DCG vs Pella (or Harlan), Xavier vs Solon, and Western Dubuque vs North Scott.

i quess the 2017 looks a bit better . i like the 4 teams from each district, it was more games to watch at the end of the season...then u look at that, all it does is gives teams another chance, playing the season was sort of pointless....some say it was too many games, hard on the players...i thought the players like playing the games, fun. the way the state of iowa does things, propably something new around the corner

ADVERTISEMENT