ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer and football playoffs should be SEEDED

bumblebee

Hall of Fame
Jun 29, 2001
This set-up in Iowa sucks.

Top-10 CR Washington & Top-10 CR Kennedy have to meet in a substate semi-final?

WTF? SEED THESE TOP TEN TEAMS so they don't have to meet each other until the State Tourney.; Football is even worse---

Why should every crappy PODUNK district in this state be rewarded spots in the playoffs, and a chance to go to state---despite nobody in their respective district is worth a sh#t?

THE BEST TEAMS SHOULD EARN THE BEST SEEDINGS FROM THE BEGINNING---TO-SUBSTATE, ETC.

WE HAVE TO PACIFY SOME CRAPPY TEAM FROM BUMBLEF#$K, IA---EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE NOT RANKED, AND NOWHERE NEAR AS TALENTED AS OTHERS WHO HAVE TO PLAY EACH OTHER EARLY
This post was edited on 5/20 10:33 PM by bumblebee

I understand your probably mad but to be the best and win the state tournament don't you have to beat the best... whether its in the first round or not it all works out.

Either Norwalk or Xavier [sometimes both] have been in the finals each of the last 5 years. Please don't tell me that there is a better team in the state that should have won the state title the last 4-5 years in 1A. Not to mention the previous titles by Pella and Waukee. I don't recall a time in 1A soccer where the best team is not the champions. However i do know of a few instances where the runner up is probably not as good as the 3rd place team.

What I don't understand is why 4-9 City High gets a bye, while 4th ranked IC West and 10th ranked Davenport Central have to play each other FOR THE RIGHT TO PLAY CITY, ON CITY'S HOME FIELD.

Not gonna try to start an argument here with you.. And i only say this from experience.

Look at Waukee, Pella, Norwalk, and Knoxville. From a period of 1998-2004 Pella, Waukee, and Norwalk were all state worthy but each had to beat each other in substate here in central Iowa. those are 3 quality teams that have to beat each other when Waukee/Pella should have been the state championship match for a few of those years. Throw Norwalk into the mix in 2004, 05, 06, when they made their first appearances in state.

Perry, DC-G, and Nevada are the same way.

Think of it this way. Im not sure if you are a D. Central or ICW fan or not but you have to beat the best teams in this state to win it all. So having ICW beat D. Central early on in the tournament would make it easier when playing City High and going on to state without worrying about D. Central. Same thing for D. Central if they upset ICW. Unfortunately it doesn't always work out. But the substate pairings are made early on in the season so idk.

It does suck when you have a tough team in your substate, but to be the best, you have to BEAT the best!

If you're shooting for 2nd place or lower then it sucks, if not then it shouldn't matter.

Originally posted by jaxsdad:
If you're shooting for 2nd place or lower then it sucks, if not then it shouldn't matter.

I guess we should force the NBA to schedule San Antonio and LA to meet in the first round

Your logic doesn't hold water.

This state and it's willingness to pacify crappy teams is amazing.

So a bunch of unranked teams (regardless of the sport) in one district ---can play for a state berth, while 2-3 RANKED teams in another district play each other by the sub-state game?

good lord....do away with this DUMB system. Did backwoods, girls 6-on-6 basketball purists---make the rules here?
flush.gif

This post was edited on 5/21 11:36 PM by bumblebee

You also have to remember that the ranking system in Iowa is not that great. It all depends on where the voting coaches are from and how much time they spend studying ALL teams. One of the "crappy" teams you are talking about just may be the Champion.

Remember that the substate pairings are made far in advance to actual games being played. The substate that has Pella in it now has South Tama playing Pella Christian to go to state. Are those teams worthy of a state birth? Perhaps. But you can't take it away from them since they have done just as much as other teams have. It is okay to have a few cinderella teams.

The method of sub state match ups is a very lazy and unfair one from the state. This is how it is done (we'll use the Bettendorf bracket as an example).

Group teams on general geographical location and THEN sort them alphabeticially :

1. Bettendorf
2. Clinton
3. Dav North
4. Dav West
5. North Scott
6. Pleasant Valley

Now (ready for this crazy method? This is done for ALL sub state brackets. List alphabetically and match up), you set up the bracket.

Teams 1 and 3 get a bye.
Teams 2 and 4 play. Winner plays team 3.
Teams 5 and 6 play. Winner plays team 1.

That's it. Stupid. But that's how it is done. No consideration is made for record, rankings, anything. All done alphabetically.

What is just as bad, is that the team that has a bye, has 6 or 7 days of rest from their last regular season game to their playoff game. The teams that play on Saturday turn right back around and play on Monday / Tuesday with limited rest.

My whole gripe is how does Dubuque Wahlert, Xavier, and such play 1A soccer? They have nearly 4 or more times the enrollment of most 1A schools...

You're right.........Xavier and Wahlert, who play in 2A conference, should definitely play 2A.........I think Xavier is next year.

From the iahsaa website http://www.iahsaa.org/0809bedn.pdf
These figures do NOT include seniors.

Xavier has (fresh - junior) 613, Dubuque Wahlert has 435.

By comparison, North Scott has 764, Dav North has 810, and Pleasant Valley has 834. Bettendorf has 1104, and Dav West has 1644.

Student population is not necessarily an indicator of how strong the soccer program is. If so, Dav West should crush Bettendorf tonight. Anybody want to wager on that?

I'm trying to find a crayon to explain this better. If you want to win a championship, you beat the best teams. If you're really shooting for 2nd or lower then you should wine about having to beat good teams. If you can't win in substate, you won't win a championship...good teams step it up when needed. What people are forgetting is the $$$ that would be involved in traveling if the state organized this any different...at least in the western part of the state. Schools would get maybe 4 fans to travel, and the cost to drive and possibly stay over night would be more than what most schools are going to want to pay. Once again, I'm sorry if a decent team who would have gotten 2nd, 3rd, whatever place at state gets beat out. Don't lose in substate.

Jax,

I am not disagreeing with you. The best team in the state should rise to the top regardless of how silly the parings are.

However, you and I both know that soccer is a game based on competitiion. If a top team plays bottom feeders in substate, they will come in not as sharp as they could be.

Additionally, all teams have good games / bad games all season long. Ask any coach. If you had a game where your players played at 90% in a substate game and lost to a team that played 100%, that does not jive with unranked teams playing no one getting to state.

All any one is saying here is that let us make these game more competitive, more representative of quality of state competition. You would expect that the majority of top 10 teams make it to state - not to have 1/2 of them knock the other half out in sub state.

That's all.

funny how #1 Glenwood gets #2 Norwalk in the first round. There are some flaws, but in the end you will always have to beat the best teams to be champs.

Futbolfan1,

I'm not disagreeing completely either because as a fan I would like to see the best 8 teams at the state tournament. I just think its unrealistic and wishful thinking. I understand the frustration though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT