ADVERTISEMENT

So...stats

rc1963

Freshman
Aug 17, 2018
So, I was looking at stats. First of all we have the inequity of goal scoring stats that occurs when a team doesn't play any competition of consequence. The numbers are probably correct, just hard to judge/compare quality when compared to teams that have a tougher schedule - so, it is what it is and hopefully we'll see in post season, who can shine.

But for goalkeeping stats....am I the only one who thinks some teams may not be reporting their stats accurately? The GK with the most saves in the state has 183 and he's played almost 900 min. when you include the goals he's allowed, he's facing a shot every 4 minutes. Who can possibly be playing a schedule, with a back line that weak to allow that many shots on target? I didn't do the deep dive into each opponent and how many they put on frame to see if the stats align. It seems like some may be counting every time the keeper touches the ball as a "save." Just seems hard to believe that we have have a range (for keepers logging more than 500 min) of 183 down to 17. Are they not reporting correctly, not counting correctly? or some of each?

And the value of stats (per the State Stat book)

Out of the 11 Keepers with 9 or more saves in the state tournament, only two have been part of championship winning teams.

Of the 5 individuals scoring 5 or more goals in the state tournament - only 1 has been a part of a state championship.

Anybody still think soccer is a highly individual sport, or that an individual can carry a team? Doesn't look like something to plan on if you're coaching.

I've been really disappointed with the stats this year. In addition to the inconsistency that you mention, it is frustrating when certain team don't even enter any stats. I think there were still dates that were deadlines for stat entry from the IHSAA.
People have friends and family on teams and would like to see if they start, if they play, have they scored, etc.
But, there are teams that have not entered stats for any games yet (Iowa City High for example).

It is funny to see the team with the state's leading goal scorer continually on twitter trying to hype up that accomplishment, when it is the most hollow stat you can imagine when playing the level of competition they have played.

So, I was looking at stats. First of all we have the inequity of goal scoring stats that occurs when a team doesn't play any competition of consequence. The numbers are probably correct, just hard to judge/compare quality when compared to teams that have a tougher schedule - so, it is what it is and hopefully we'll see in post season, who can shine.

But for goalkeeping stats....am I the only one who thinks some teams may not be reporting their stats accurately? The GK with the most saves in the state has 183 and he's played almost 900 min. when you include the goals he's allowed, he's facing a shot every 4 minutes. Who can possibly be playing a schedule, with a back line that weak to allow that many shots on target? I didn't do the deep dive into each opponent and how many they put on frame to see if the stats align. It seems like some may be counting every time the keeper touches the ball as a "save." Just seems hard to believe that we have have a range (for keepers logging more than 500 min) of 183 down to 17. Are they not reporting correctly, not counting correctly? or some of each?

And the value of stats (per the State Stat book)

Out of the 11 Keepers with 9 or more saves in the state tournament, only two have been part of championship winning teams.

Of the 5 individuals scoring 5 or more goals in the state tournament - only 1 has been a part of a state championship.

Anybody still think soccer is a highly individual sport, or that an individual can carry a team? Doesn't look like something to plan on if you're coaching.

I've been really disappointed with the stats this year. In addition to the inconsistency that you mention, it is frustrating when certain team don't even enter any stats. I think there were still dates that were deadlines for stat entry from the IHSAA.
People have friends and family on teams and would like to see if they start, if they play, have they scored, etc.
But, there are teams that have not entered stats for any games yet (Iowa City High for example).

It is funny to see the Dad with the state's leading goal scorer continually on twitter trying to hype up that accomplishment, when it is the most hollow stat you can imagine when playing the level of competition they have played.
Ditto on all you two have said. Just not at a point where we have enough people out there who are willing that understand soccer stats. Also, fixed the part in bold for you, Pine. ;)

Reactions: Pinehawk and rc1963
I get being proud of your accomplishments. The kids and the parents don't make the schedules. I guess the thin is that's not necessarily going to result in team success/championships.

I know there's controversy with baseball stats every year too. I think most schools try to do it accurately. Some don't understand the guidelines/or put someone who does in charge of collecting them. When school's don't post, I wonder if they are trying to fly under the radar or simply don't consider it a priority.

I'd love to see the IHSAA put some teeth into reporting, but in a sport you're trying to keep interest in, the last thing you want to do is give a school a reason to give it up (i.e. too much of a hassle to stat report.)

From the preseason rules meeting...

Boys’ Soccer coaches will be REQUIRED to have soccer statistics updated on the following dates: Tuesday, April 16 at 3 PM Tuesday, April 30 at 3 PM Tuesday, May 14 at 3 PM

All matches played through the previous Saturday are to be included in these statistical updates.

Coaches that fail to comply with these deadlines after a third violation will not allowed to coach in the tournament series for boys.

From the preseason rules meeting...

Boys’ Soccer coaches will be REQUIRED to have soccer statistics updated on the following dates: Tuesday, April 16 at 3 PM Tuesday, April 30 at 3 PM Tuesday, May 14 at 3 PM

All matches played through the previous Saturday are to be included in these statistical updates.

Coaches that fail to comply with these deadlines after a third violation will not allowed to coach in the tournament series for boys.
Wow, that’s a bit harsh, but definitely understand it.

Hey @Pinehawk , what happened with Regina/North Scott? I saw Regina won 4-1.

since north Scott beat PV it makes Regina’s next match really interesting. Was North Scott at full strength tonight? I wouldn’t have been surprised with a 2-1 win, but 4-1 was a shock.

Hey @Pinehawk , what happened with Regina/North Scott? I saw Regina won 4-1.

since north Scott beat PV it makes Regina’s next match really interesting. Was North Scott at full strength tonight? I wouldn’t have been surprised with a 2-1 win, but 4-1 was a shock.

North Scott (3A 9-3) beat PV, beat Xavier and just beat Burlington Notre Dame 3-2.
Regina beat them 4-1 tonight in front of a nice crowd.
I‘m pretty sure North Scott were at full strength.

Regina scored somewhat early on a nice combo. Then followed it up not too long after that, as Wick was almost brought down in the box, but managed to stay on his feet and put it away. NS seemed a bit shocked, and Regina held on till the half. 2-0.
2nd half NS came out hot. They were coming in waves and Regina was holding on.
Refs gave NS a PK, for what, I’m still not sure. 2-1.
NS kept coming but, Regina whipped in a cross, that the NS defender kicked up into his own hand in the box.
PK converted for Regina, 3-1.
NS really stepped up the attack at that point, and Regina was doing their best to fend them off over the next 15 minutes.
With about 4 to go, Regina got a free kick. Wick put it in the upper 90 for the 4-1 win.
Easily the Regals most impressive win of the season I think. Coming off the Nevada win on Saturday.
Regina playing well right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: rc1963
North Scott (3A 9-3) beat PV, beat Xavier and just beat Burlington Notre Dame 3-2.

Regina scored somewhat early on a nice combo. Then followed it up not too long after that, as Wick was almost brought down in the box, but managed to stay on his feet and put it away. NS seemed a bit shocked, and Regina held on till the half. 2-0.
NS kept coming but, Regina whipped in a cross, that the NS defender kicked up into his own hand in the box.
NS really stepped up the attack at that point, and Regina was doing their best to fend them off over the next 15 minutes.
With about 4 to go, Regina got a free kick. Wick put it in the upper 90 for the 4-1 win.
Easily the Regals most impressive win of the season I think. Coming off the Nevada win on Saturday.
Gross. ABC’S: Anyone but the Catholic Schools. 😉

My take on the game is as follows:

Wick was outstanding, strong and clinical, 5 shots 4 goals enough said! There keeper was very good, great reach and very smart on coming off his line. The rest of the team was so so, one creative midfielder but didn't see too much else. NS were missing there best midfielder Chase Porter (concussion), big loss and made a huge difference. NS midfield were wasteful in possession, would love to know the stats on completed passes, not good I am sure. Narrow pitch did not suit NS. Regina had 6 shots on goal, I'm guessing NS had 20. Without Porter NS will struggle against any decent team.

It is funny to see the team with the state's leading goal scorer continually on twitter trying to hype up that accomplishment, when it is the most hollow stat you can imagine when playing the level of competition they have played.
They are a young team/program...they are trying to create buy-in and excitement for their program. Isn't that what we want? For the sport to grow and add programs? The tweets aren't for you Pine. Keep scrolling.

My take on the game is as follows:

Wick was outstanding, strong and clinical, 5 shots 4 goals enough said! There keeper was very good, great reach and very smart on coming off his line. The rest of the team was so so, one creative midfielder but didn't see too much else. NS were missing there best midfielder Chase Porter (concussion), big loss and made a huge difference. NS midfield were wasteful in possession, would love to know the stats on completed passes, not good I am sure. Narrow pitch did not suit NS. Regina had 6 shots on goal, I'm guessing NS had 20. Without Porter NS will struggle against any decent team.

It was not a narrow pitch. It is full size field, larger than the football field. Didn't know Porter was out.
Regina had more than 6 shots on goal, those stats aren't completely accurate. There are players that I know had a shot the NS keeper fielded that are not accounted for in the stats. I can't see the NS stats because they haven't entered them yet. Regina did have the only two goals scored in open play. NS only managed a questionable PK to avoid the shutout.
Of the 17 players the Regals used in the game, 11 were freshman or sophomores.

Last edited:
They are a young team/program...they are trying to create buy-in and excitement for their program. Isn't that what we want? For the sport to grow and add programs? The tweets aren't for you Pine. Keep scrolling.

Sure, I get that. Just comes off looking like a carnival barker and people are laughing at it.

2 tweets total...good grief, let it go and stop trolling their account.
I've mentioned it once. Never even mentioned the team by name. And, I wasn't the only person here who had noticed. Not a big deal. Just amusing.

I, for one, would love to see the River Valley Conferene become the preeminent soccer conference in 1A in the state. With Regina, West LIberty and Mid Prairie either performing consistently or emerging to do so, and teams like West Branch and Cascade working to get there, the conference has that capability. Having intra-conference matches that are meaningful, and maybe one day, a conference tournament would be great for the programs and for the sport. There are a couple programs kind of struggling and then obviously the schools that don't even participate and one program that's gone away. That's my dream for the conference.

I, for one, would love to see the River Valley Conferene become the preeminent soccer conference in 1A in the state. With Regina, West LIberty and Mid Prairie either performing consistently or emerging to do so, and teams like West Branch and Cascade working to get there, the conference has that capability. Having intra-conference matches that are meaningful, and maybe one day, a conference tournament would be great for the programs and for the sport. There are a couple programs kind of struggling and then obviously the schools that don't even participate and one program that's gone away. That's my dream for the conference.
Prior to COVID, RVC AD's discussed adding conference soccer for this year. This may have been why many of the newer RVC programs aligned their schedules. With Beckman and Maquoketa looking to join the RVC, it may be a real possibility now.

Jefferson came out flat last night and went down 3-0. The boy was one of the changes at half, at left mid instead of his usual left back role, and played well. He got the hockey assist :)p) on one of his former club teammate's (fellow Sophomore) first varsity goal early in the second half. West started to bunker more as the half wore on. Jeff got another with just under 10 minutes left. Had two more good chances to tie but one went over high and the other wide. 3-2 loss. Unlike, Dubuque Senior who played outstanding defense, this one was on the J-Hawks inability to match West's intensity and drive early.

He's down on the fact that he's not starting at this point, but I'm not that parent. I think this will be good for him in the long run. Go make it impossible to keep you off the field is my retort.

One more, against IC West Friday. Play them well and a lot of confidence could come back. All the matches against teams in their sub-state bracket (apart from the loss to Cedar Falls and win vs Hempstead): CR WASH, Dub Senior, Waterloo West, were decided by a single goal and two of those went to OT. Should be a really interesting group of games. Can't wait to see how it unfolds in Eastern Iowa!

Jefferson came out flat last night and went down 3-0. The boy was one of the changes at half, at left mid instead of his usual left back role, and played well. He got the hockey assist :)p) on one of his former club teammate's (fellow Sophomore) first varsity goal early in the second half. West started to bunker more as the half wore on. Jeff got another with just under 10 minutes left. Had two more good chances to tie but one went over high and the other wide. 3-2 loss. Unlike, Dubuque Senior who played outstanding defense, this one was on the J-Hawks inability to match West's intensity and drive early.

He's down on the fact that he's not starting at this point, but I'm not that parent. I think this will be good for him in the long run. Go make it impossible to keep you off the field is my retort.

One more, against IC West Friday. Play them well and a lot of confidence could come back. All the matches against teams in their sub-state bracket (apart from the loss to Cedar Falls and win vs Hempstead): CR WASH, Dub Senior, Waterloo West, were decided by a single goal and two of those went to OT. Should be a really interesting group of games. Can't wait to see how it unfolds in Eastern Iowa!
3A substates could be particularly interesting in the East.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes

Soccer stats are pretty easy, but if you don't know what you're doing you can muck it up pretty bad -- like the above.

I wonder if the IHSAA and IGHSAU would ever consider holding statistician trainings, in the same vein as rules meetings and officials' meetings/clinics.

Soccer stats are pretty easy, but if you don't know what you're doing you can muck it up pretty bad -- like the above.

I wonder if the IHSAA and IGHSAU would ever consider holding statistician trainings, in the same vein as rules meetings and officials' meetings/clinics.
I think there are some video trainings that have happened....

Could there also be some automated checks - i.e. Saves plus goals allowed should always match SOG.

There are also a few stats that maybe some teams collect, that would be useful to coaches, like possession %. You'd have to almost designate one person to track just this one stat, maybe the same person could track Shots and SOG. Maybe if Varsity Bound could do an app to collect stats, it would assist in both collection and reporting of stats....

ADVERTISEMENT