ADVERTISEMENT

So....2021?

rc1963

Freshman
Aug 17, 2018
First competition is exactly 3 weeks away. No previews in the press, no schedules? I know preseason rankings don't usually hit until a couple days before season start, but Coaches assoc meeting was last week. Anyone have any buzz?

Glad to see the interest. I haven't heard much yet. With last season being cancelled, we're probably entering a season knowing as little about most teams, than we ever have before. Going to be hard to know what to expect.

I just hope that the players and programs are able to have full uninterrupted seasons. Soccer was one of the only sports to suffer a complete loss of all competition. Track has started last year and there were a couple of meets. And, baseball was able to resume and complete their season. Soccer took the worst of the Covid cancellations.
They deserve to have a full, fun season this year.

Reactions: Huehney and rc1963
Glad to see the interest. I haven't heard much yet. With last season being cancelled, we're probably entering a season knowing as little about most teams, than we ever have before. Going to be hard to know what to expect.

I just hope that the players and programs are able to have full uninterrupted seasons. Soccer was one of the only sports to suffer a complete loss of all competition. Track has started last year and there were a couple of meets. And, baseball was able to resume and complete their season. Soccer took the worst of the Covid cancellations.
They deserve to have a full, fun season this year.

Absolutely, My son was devastated last spring that soccer was canceled.

Any information or thoughts from anyone about who will be good?

Reactions: Pinehawk
word on the street is Waverly will be strong this year. Waterloo Columbus lost 9 seniors so they may be rebuilding. GCGR looks to be good. hard to gauge with no games last year. many teams will be rolling out new players that haven't started varsity yet.

Reactions: Hwkfn1
First day of competition is Thursday and still no rankings or previews in the papers....

Since this year's Seniors were Sophmores the last time they played, it'll be interesting how they shake out.

On a related note, it seems like legacy stats got lost in the shuffle between quikstats and varsity bound....So, even trying to analyse who has that sophomre class from two years ago who look promising is difficult.

Was looking for the same thing. The Gazette had a short soccer preview in the paper, but I couldn't find it online.
No rankings released yet. The Varsity Bound site that replaced Quik Stats appears as though it is not being utilized. Rosters aren't updated, schedules aren't complete. A bit of a mess.

My main interest is 1A soccer, so here's what I've pieced together;

I took the final regular season rankings from 2019 as a starting point for who to contend and here's what I've been able to find:

W'loo Columbus - As stated above, lost 9 seniors, but they pull well from club, so I'd expect them to compete

Regina - Only 2 seniors on the roster, but one is an all-state striker. Supported by a cast of 9 juniors, some of whom had significant playing time as Freshmen two years ago. Oh, and Rick Larew

WB Notre Dame - Should have Junior, Parker Davis, who had post-season experience as a Freshman. They lost 5 seniors in 2019 and the rest were Freshmen and Sophomores, so they should be loaded with Juniors and Seniors now.

AHSTW - Bowed out in Substate final to Greene County in 2019

Western Christian - Lost to Sioux Center in the substate final in 2019

S Tama - Bowed out to Regina in 2019 Substate final. Played the Regals tough for a half. Not sure what they have back in the program

Solon - Dont remember the history, can't find the history - But Solon is always competitive, look for them to be top 10.

Vinton S'burg - First game of the season against rival Benton on 4/1 - that should be one to watch

Greene County - has lost about half the starters from 2019s state run. Has 30 on the roster. Coach's comment is that they're not the most technical team, but they know the game/see the game. Only the third season for this program.

North Polk Alleman - made state in 2019 with substate final win over Nevada

West Liberty - Junior striker, Mateo hit an extra time goal as a Freshman in the substate final to knock off Notre Dame WB and advance to state

Benton Comm - First game of the season against rival Vinton S'burg on 4/1 - that should be one to watch

Assumption and Hillcrest (formerly IMS) always have competitive programs - they probably have the potential to be in the mix.

Of an interesting note about new programs: Sigourney is starting a soccer program for the first time this year, as I believe so is Clayton Ridge. West Branch started a program in 2019, so this will be their second year of competition.

Recap of Day 1 interesting results

Clayton Ridge over Postville 3-2 - I believe this is Clayton Ridge's first competitive matches in school history - Nice start

Notre Dame WB over Assumption 1-0 - and early season result of two prgrams, I'm guessing could be ranked (if we ever see rankings)

Marshalltown, trying to show that they belong in the contender role takes a 2-0 win from Newton

There were two mercy rule matches yesterday: North Scott over Western Dubuque and Nevada over Ballard.

Don't know much about Van Meter soccer history, they seem to generally have competitive sports programs. They dropped a 5-0 decision to West Central Valley,. West Central was the only team to report stats and they had 4 goals from 4 different players. Not sure how the 5th goal came. Interesting that a Senior with a goal and 4 SOGs has the last name as a Freshman GK (Gerling) who carded 4 saves in keeping a clean sheet. Brothers? VM only put 3 shots on frame. It'll be interesting to watch West Central going forward.

Reactions: Pinehawk and Hwkfn1
Couple of results from the weekend:

City High dropping a 1-0 decision to Muscatine
Greene County played DM North to a 3-2 loss - Interesting 1A/3A matchup that seems to indicate Greene County does in fact have some continued strength.

And Varsity Bound continues to be a work in progress....lost of inconsistencies, missing data and it would be nice to see a dictionary of what some stuff is supposed to mean. When I say it's a work in progress, that's not entirely a criticism. It is the state of where things are. I see lots of potential in the platform. Just kind of wish they hadn't pulled the plug of quikstats so fast - leaving a void right now.

word on the street is Waverly will be strong this year. Waterloo Columbus lost 9 seniors so they may be rebuilding. GCGR looks to be good. hard to gauge with no games last year. many teams will be rolling out new players that haven't started varsity yet.
So, apparently (and here's a case where it went largely unknown on Varsity Bound) Columbus hung tough with CF for a 1-1 tie. They have at least one senior who was a significant contributor on the 2019 team (9 goals and 19 assists)

GCGR kind of got their shorts handed to them by W'loo west, 5-0 in 40 minutes. Granted, that's a 3A/1A matchup but West is not historically a power. IF GCGR is going to contend, they're going to have to put up some better defense.

From the early season scores, it seems like aggressive scoring is the name of the game in the early season. The teams who can control the field better are going to be poised for longevity.

Seems like a lot of the same programs who were strong a couple years ago, will be really tough once again.
We'll get a lot more games this coming week to get an idea where things stand a bit better.

I agree that Varsity Bound has a lot of potential, but it isn't being utilized right now. And, if underutilized, will be a worse experience than what we had with QuikStats.
Can't even go to the 'standings' page now to get a list of all teams and their records.
The rosters still aren't right. Schedules aren't in there for everyone. Scrimmages are counted as official games.
They really need to clean it up, but I don't know how they do it at this point.

Seems like a lot of the same programs who were strong a couple years ago, will be really tough once again.
We'll get a lot more games this coming week to get an idea where things stand a bit better.

I agree that Varsity Bound has a lot of potential, but it isn't being utilized right now. And, if underutilized, will be a worse experience than what we had with QuikStats.
Can't even go to the 'standings' page now to get a list of all teams and their records.
The rosters still aren't right. Schedules aren't in there for everyone. Scrimmages are counted as official games.
They really need to clean it up, but I don't know how they do it at this point.
I'm guessing the rosters may be on the schools. VB can only post what information they have.

But there are descrepancies between the conference schedules and the schedules posted here, so I'm not really sure where the good data/bad data is.

I like the idea of an ELO ranking, but it'd be nice to have some definition so we can understand it.

I can see the standings page (I'm viewing on Chrome, maybe it's a platform thing?) One of the things I asked them for was a filter by class. Standings and rankings in an "all class" model won't do much good going into postseason.

And I don't mean to cut down VB, they've been doing a really good job modernizing the stats platform and I think it's going to be pretty great once it's all there. I just wish we hadn't lost all the historical data and that some of these things were a little more mature before the season. I'm hopeful that they'll get the scrimmage vs regular season sorted out so the stats will work better. Not sure what else they'll be able to give us this season. Hopefully, it makes a difference knowing that we're actually trying to use their tool.

No, I agree much of the data (rosters, schedules, scores) is on the schools. But, they clearly don't know how to use the new system, or the IHSAA hasn't made it clear that it is an expectation.

Are you going to the 'standings' tab from the main soccer page? I can only see six schools listed.

Oh, no, I was using the power index tab.

I chatted with one of the guys at VB, and I think they fixed the past year stats. He's going to look into the filter by class. and he confirmed a bunch of the other stuff is related to how the schools report - so trying to get info back to Boone to get info out to the schools on fixing scrimmage data etc.

Looks like West Liberty got a chance to flex their muscles after dropping two close ones to tough 3A schools. They took an 11-4 win over Prince of Peace last night.

Over in the west, Treynor proved they can score goals - Hit Tri-Center 7-0 last night.

DSM Christian put up a 6-0 win over Van Mater

and North Scott mercy ruled Davenport West. - Most of the other 3A matches were really competitive - Looks like nobody can take a night off in 3A safely. PV also mercy-ruled Clinton, so it's looking like Bettendorf continues to be a soccer hotbed this year.

Clayton Ridge, with their new program, took it to West Delaware 8-0 - watch out for this team

Couple of "wow" moments from yesterday

VS beating West Delaware 14-0.... VS is 2-0 with a total margin of 24-0 so far. These guys are showing they know how to put the ball into the net. Maybe not the greatest defenses they've gone up against, but a 10-0 win over rival Benton, who subsequently topped Williamsburg 5-2, makes that feel like a pretty solid win.

Prairie knocks off West on a PK in Extra time. Sophomore goal after a game winner for West was waved off for offsides.

Other than that, does it seem like there are more lopsided results so far this season? 12 Mercy rule ended matches in just the first week.

Burlington Notre Dame off to an impressive start.
Beckman with a big win over Clear Creek.
Muscatine and West Liberty will be tough once again.

Scores do seem lopsided in a number of cases. Maybe partially the result of a year off, and some programs with better off season programs than others.

Reactions: rc1963
Hey all! I’ll be following as my son is a varsity striker for CR Jefferson. Assisted the City High equalizer for 1-1 in that game. Unfortunately Cedar Falls was 4-1, but should have (and I can’t stress that enough. Legit should have) been 3-2 with a wildly offside goal for CF’s first, and an uncalled tackle straight from behind by the last defender on a breakaway into the box. Too bad there was no 2020 season. Jefferson would have had a group of my son’s class of Freshmen and Seniors that would have absolutely been state qualifying contenders. They have so many quality sophomores starting. Definitely miss the defenders and their top defensive mid that were all Seniors.

Hey all! I’ll be following as my son is a varsity striker for CR Jefferson. Assisted the City High equalizer for 1-1 in that game. Unfortunately Cedar Falls was 4-1, but should have (and I can’t stress that enough. Legit should have) been 3-2 with a wildly offside goal for CF’s first, and an uncalled tackle straight from behind by the last defender on a breakaway into the box. Too bad there was no 2020 season. Jefferson would have had a group of my son’s class of Freshmen and Seniors that would have absolutely been state qualifying contenders. They have so many quality sophomores starting. Definitely miss the defenders and their top defensive mid that were all Seniors.
Hey Menace, welcome to the discussion - Good to get some extra 3A input as well!

I have a son who missed his Senior season last year, so, yes, really lost some big opportunities.

So, do you think Jeff is the top CRSD school this year?

Also, since you're closer to it, what do you think about Prairie's defeat of IC West? Is Prairie for real? What about Marshalltown, are they a contender again? Who's on your early 3A State qualifier list? Any surprise teams to watch?

Hey Menace, welcome to the discussion - Good to get some extra 3A input as well!

I have a son who missed his Senior season last year, so, yes, really lost some big opportunities.

So, do you think Jeff is the top CRSD school this year?

Also, since you're closer to it, what do you think about Prairie's defeat of IC West? Is Prairie for real? What about Marshalltown, are they a contender again? Who's on your early 3A State qualifier list? Any surprise teams to watch?
Thanks!v Feel for your son. Sad. I think Jeff was every bit as good as Kennedy last night (and probably moreso) in a 2-1 loss. VERY dubious PK call was the difference. Jeff dominated possession, particularly in the second half after a 0-0 first half. Kennedy got a corner after being pinned back for about 15 minutes to start the second and capitalized, then the dubious PK, and finally Jeff was able to capitalize on one of their chances in the box. Their lack of height in the back means crosses and set pieces will be a problem. They had two cleared just off the line, including one straight to the keeper from wide open and five yards out, and another in the last seconds, a low hard shot that slipped under the goalkeeper in the wetness before he reached behind him as it was crossing the line. Should have been 1-1, and COULD have been 2-2 or 2-1 the other way.

As far as state, sadly I think they had a decent shot last year had there been a season. So many Freshman and experienced Seniors (that JUST missed state the year before) gave them that one year window. I'm still thinking they are a year away from state being a possibility. But who knows. They are getting better each match, to be sure.

Prairie is legit. They have the defense and are so well organized. Their problem the last few years has been generating offense. We'll see. A win like that will definitely generate confidence going forward. I think they are qualifiers. Cedar Falls looks dangerous too. A couple big and pacy Senior strikers will make them probable state qualifiers. I'll try to keep you all in the loop from what I see.

Last edited:
Jeff looked really good last night, very fast and athletic. Kennedy had a goal called off because of offside on a free kick.
True, and I don't believe the kid offside actually touched the ball, but obstructed the keeper. It was one of those arching free kicks into the box at a diagonal angle that no one touched but found its way inside the back post.

Jefferson got their first win by breaking a tense 2-1 lead open to a 4-1 win at Davenport Central with two goals in the last 4 minutes. The boy got a great shot off, and forced a diving save. The ensuing corner was cashed in for the third. Dominated and lost to #1 2A 1-0 to Xavier earlier.

Last edited:
Big Matches tonight

Xavier at City, I give the edge to Xavier despite the cross class, but it's going to be hard fought

Williamsburg vs CPU - I should have had CPU in my others getting votes this week - A win tonight will ensure CPU is in the conversation - A loss by Williamsburg may push them out of the conversation

W'loo Columbus at Denver - A win by Columbus solidifies their place, a win by Denver keeps them in the hunt

St Alberts @ Treynor - One of these will rise and one will fall in what looks like a pretty even matchup going in.

West LIberty home with Assumption - West Liberty probably won't put up as many goals as they have been lately. It will be interesting to see what their defense has when facing what should be a good Assumption team. The comets first real test since Muscatine

Wash hosting Kennedy - Interesting cross town rivalry - not sure it means much from a statewide perspective - maybe it keeps one of them in the conversation

SEP @ Centennial - One of these could insert themselves into the conversation that's dominated by Waukee and Valley in the region

Marshalltown hosts Dowling - Marshalltown believes they are a championship quality team - they need this win to stay relevant - a loss would drop them into the "pretty good team" group

Thoughts? Any other match-ups you're watching?

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Big Matches tonight

Xavier at City, I give the edge to Xavier despite the cross class, but it's going to be hard fought

Williamsburg vs CPU - I should have had CPU in my others getting votes this week - A win tonight will ensure CPU is in the conversation - A loss by Williamsburg may push them out of the conversation

W'loo Columbus at Denver - A win by Columbus solidifies their place, a win by Denver keeps them in the hunt

St Alberts @ Treynor - One of these will rise and one will fall in what looks like a pretty even matchup going in.

West LIberty home with Assumption - West Liberty probably won't put up as many goals as they have been lately. It will be interesting to see what their defense has when facing what should be a good Assumption team. The comets first real test since Muscatine

Wash hosting Kennedy - Interesting cross town rivalry - not sure it means much from a statewide perspective - maybe it keeps one of them in the conversation

SEP @ Centennial - One of these could insert themselves into the conversation that's dominated by Waukee and Valley in the region

Marshalltown hosts Dowling - Marshalltown believes they are a championship quality team - they need this win to stay relevant - a loss would drop them into the "pretty good team" group

Thoughts? Any other match-ups you're watching?
City High vs Xavier appears to be postponed (COVID?). Having seen both in person, that would be a coin flip. City High looked better against Jeff than Xavier did, yet gave up the late equalizer. Xavier looked was absolutely dominated in possession for stretches, but capitalized on a slip by Jeff and survived some very close calls to win 1-0. Could see it go 1-1 or 1-0 either way.

Being from CR, Wash vs Kennedy is intriguing. And also because I coached a lot of those guys in club. Based on results I've seen so far, and seeing Kennedy in person, I'm giving the edge to Wash. Kennedy was picked apart by Jeff multiple times. Better finishing and a dubious PK gave that one to the Cougars. I don't know much about Wash's strikers now that Keaton Woods is gone, but I know they have a Junior midfielder who is a real smart play-maker from having coached him. Not sure if he's gotten minutes in central midfield or not. The questions are if this Bergstrom from Wash is too much for Kennedy's midfield, or if Mubake is too much for Wash's defenders.

I'll be at CR Jefferson vs Linn-Mar. We'll learn a lot about both teams from that one, but especially the J-Hawks with their best defender back and now this exciting sophomore class contributing. I suspect this will be the first game that they'll clearly lose the possession battle (Cedar Falls was 50-50), but it will be interesting.

Last edited:
Some thoughts on last night's matches:

CPU moves up in relevance and Williamsburg takes a step back with a 1-0 CPU win

DCG over Grinnell 3-1 feels like somewhat of a statement win in this early season
Same with a 3-1 win by CCA over Benton

Beckman's 2-1 over South Tama keeps Beckman moving forward and Columbus' big 4-1 over Denver may be somewhat telling.

Postville's 1-0 win over 2A Decorah is a big win for that program supporting their position in the rankings

St Albert over Treynor 4-3 gives some direction to the battle in the west but they loss shouldn't hurt Treynor much.

Assumption's 3-2 win over West Liberty is exactly what Assumption needed and a exactly not what West Liberty Needed - There could be a dogfight in 1A in the East again this year.

Centennial over SEP by 2 and Kennedy over Washington 2-0 both start to add some direction in 3A

I think Marshalltown's over Dowling 4-0 is a big win for that program and I look for it to propel them through mid season. They've shown they belong in the conversation.

Only two matches on the state schedule tonight:

Western Dubuque at Beckman - I believe WD is a 2A and they've been mercy ruled 3 matches in a row to 2A and 3A competition. I don't think life gets any easier with 1A Beckman tonight, even with Beckman going back to back two nights in a row.

Regina goes to Dav Central - Seems like DC is probably in the middle tier of 3A this year. It's Regina's first match of the year. While it's a tall order to expect 1A Regina to post a win, it's not far-fetched. Regina leads the series 7-2, but they are 2-2 over the last 4 meetings. So, I look for this to be hard fought. The outcome will only be potentially telling if it's lopsided.

I'm seeing that Denver actually beat Waterloo Columbus 4-1. Which surprised me.
If that is accurate, that's an impressive win for Denver.

The West Liberty vs. Assumption game appears to have gone to PK's. WL came into that game rolling, so I was surprised to see they had lost.

I think Beckman is starting to look like a team near the top.
Postville with a strong start as well.

Some thoughts on last night's matches:

CPU moves up in relevance and Williamsburg takes a step back with a 1-0 CPU win

DCG over Grinnell 3-1 feels like somewhat of a statement win in this early season
Same with a 3-1 win by CCA over Benton

Beckman's 2-1 over South Tama keeps Beckman moving forward and Columbus' big 4-1 over Denver may be somewhat telling.

Postville's 1-0 win over 2A Decorah is a big win for that program supporting their position in the rankings

St Albert over Treynor 4-3 gives some direction to the battle in the west but they loss shouldn't hurt Treynor much.

Assumption's 3-2 win over West Liberty is exactly what Assumption needed and a exactly not what West Liberty Needed - There could be a dogfight in 1A in the East again this year.

Centennial over SEP by 2 and Kennedy over Washington 2-0 both start to add some direction in 3A

I think Marshalltown's over Dowling 4-0 is a big win for that program and I look for it to propel them through mid season. They've shown they belong in the conversation.

Only two matches on the state schedule tonight:

Western Dubuque at Beckman - I believe WD is a 2A and they've been mercy ruled 3 matches in a row to 2A and 3A competition. I don't think life gets any easier with 1A Beckman tonight, even with Beckman going back to back two nights in a row.

Regina goes to Dav Central - Seems like DC is probably in the middle tier of 3A this year. It's Regina's first match of the year. While it's a tall order to expect 1A Regina to post a win, it's not far-fetched. Regina leads the series 7-2, but they are 2-2 over the last 4 meetings. So, I look for this to be hard fought. The outcome will only be potentially telling if it's lopsided.
Loving these recaps. I have a friend who is a former football player at West Branch, so he's very interested in 1A soccer now, and how WB will shake out.

Linn Mar topped Jefferson in OT last night, 2-1. Slight edge in possession to the Lions. The large metro CR-IC schools are such a coin flip right now. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night it seems. Jefferson needs to find a bit more offense beyond Exauce Amisi against Washington, and they'll be right with all the other schools. Seems CR Prairie and IC West might just be slightly ahead the pack, and the two favorites for state berths in the area. I'm not yet sure about Dav North or Dubuque Senior, but they certainly seem like contenders with PV.

PV, Bett, West and Prairie will be battling each other near the end I think (on the east side). They've got strong teams and programs.

PV, Bett, West and Prairie will be battling each other near the end I think (on the east side). They've got strong teams and programs.
The question I have is if programs like Kennedy, Wash, CF and Senior and City might be in the conversation at that point. Either by virtue of rising to the top or if not be in the top, play substate spoiler.

The question I have is if programs like Kennedy, Wash, CF and Senior and City might be in the conversation at that point. Either by virtue of rising to the top or if not be in the top, play substate spoiler.
Based on seeing them in person, Cedar Falls is a yes. Big, fast, and experienced. Kennedy would seemingly be next in line. Don't count out Jeff and Linn Mar as potential spoilers. Both are pretty young teams. Linn Mar needs to find their defense and Jeff needs to find their offense, but it will be a problem for other teams if they get those sorted.

Loving these recaps. I have a friend who is a former football player at West Branch, so he's very interested in 1A soccer now, and how WB will shake out.

Linn Mar topped Jefferson in OT last night, 2-1. Slight edge in possession to the Lions. The large metro CR-IC schools are such a coin flip right now. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night it seems. Jefferson needs to find a bit more offense beyond Exauce Amisi against Washington, and they'll be right with all the other schools. Seems CR Prairie and IC West might just be slightly ahead the pack, and the two favorites for state berths in the area. I'm not yet sure about Dav North or Dubuque Senior, but they certainly seem like contenders with PV.
So, Regina dropped their match to Dav Central 5-3. Not a huge failing given the 1A vs 3A aspect. I'd really like to know what happened in this match. According to the box score, Regina led 4-0 at half, so really curious about what changed in the second half. Hope it wasn't injury driven or anything like that. I'm sure regals will drop in the rankings, but I don't see much impact on the question of if they'll be around at the end.....yet.

Interesting that you put Dav North in the mix. I really don't see much to say they're anything but mid table.

I'm interested in WB too. I think their first year was 2019, wasn't it? I was looking to see what they achieved last year, but of course, it didn't happen. Big test coming up with West Liberty next Monday. WL will be trying to make a bounce-back statement. Bears could be walking into a buzz saw. A win over the Comets would make quite a statement for the young program.

Regina was actually down at the half. Central's offense consisted mostly of just bombing long balls downfield and it worked early on. Might have been in part due to it being Regina's 1st game of the season and Central's 7th.
But, 2nd half Regina got it sorted out and came roaring back, got it to 4-3 and were all over them with the tying score seeming to be a certainty. But, they got caught up pushing for that tying goal and got burned for the final goal near the end.

We'll know more soon as Regina plays #2 Solon this Saturday.

West Branch had their first varsity year in 2019. They play a very weak schedule by design, so it is hard to tell much about them. The West Liberty game will be a good measuring stick. Otherwise, they won't play any top teams until the playoffs. When that happened in 2019, Assumption beat them handily in the playoffs if I recall.

Regina was actually down at the half. Central's offense consisted mostly of just bombing long balls downfield and it worked early on. Might have been in part due to it being Regina's 1st game of the season and Central's 7th.
But, 2nd half Regina got it sorted out and came roaring back, got it to 4-3 and were all over them with the tying score seeming to be a certainty. But, they got caught up pushing for that tying goal and got burned for the final goal near the end.

We'll know more soon as Regina plays #2 Solon this Saturday.

West Branch had their first varsity year in 2019. They play a very weak schedule by design, so it is hard to tell much about them. The West Liberty game will be a good measuring stick. Otherwise, they won't play any top teams until the playoffs. When that happened in 2019, Assumption beat them handily in the playoffs if I recall.
Thanks for the update - The box score must be wrong in Varsity Bound. Was the failure to handle the long ball a back line failure or the midfield not giving enough support? (and by failure, I'm not casting aspersions, I know it was a first game effort and coach Larew can make adjustments.)

Seeing Solon at Regina will be early season defining. Solon also has a considerable quantity of games under their belt

Hudson and North Fayette valley are somewhat interesting games upcoming for the Bears - Especially if North Fayette continues on their current trend. Additionally interesting since Hudson just beat them, so are they both quality teams or both softer teams. I see Tipton and Cascade on their schedule too. Wasn't 2019 the first year for Tipton, too? Cascade is in their first year, but they're starting out really strong (3-0, with a +15 goal diff) So, that may not be an easy match either.

Hard to say, it seemed to be corrected pretty well by the second half.
I'm not sure if Tipton played in 2019 or if 2020 was going to be their first year.
Cascade hasn't beaten a team with a win yet this year.
It looks like their games with West Liberty and Mid Prairie will be the only chance to see how good they might be.

Hard to say, it seemed to be corrected pretty well by the second half.
I'm not sure if Tipton played in 2019 or if 2020 was going to be their first year.
Cascade hasn't beaten a team with a win yet this year.
It looks like their games with West Liberty and Mid Prairie will be the only chance to see how good they might be.
Tipton appears not to have a record prior to this year.

Cascade has played a team with one win, albeit a very weak one. They beat Marquette Catholic, who beat Cedar Valley Christian. So, really your point still stands.

Some good games tonight:

#4 Beckman at #2 Solon tonight at 5:30. KCRG will be airing the game on their 9.2 channel.
#5 Iowa City West at #12 Muscatine
#2 CR Prairie at #3 WDM Valley.
#7 Marshalltown at #1 Waukee

Some good games tonight:

#4 Beckman at #2 Solon tonight at 5:30. KCRG will be airing the game on their 9.2 channel.
#5 Iowa City West at #12 Muscatine
#2 CR Prairie at #3 WDM Valley.
#7 Marshalltown at #1 Waukee
Those should be some good ones.

As much as Muscatine is looking more competitive than they have the last several years, I don't think West will have any trouble handling them.

ADVERTISEMENT