ADVERTISEMENT

Snub's Week 5 2A Rankings and Midseason Breakdown

Sep 13, 2019
After a 4 week hiatus, I am back to discuss class 2A up to this point in the season.

My current top 10 teams:
1.) Esterville Lincoln Central (3-1)
2.) Southeast Valley (4-0)
3.) Waukon (3-1)
4.) Spirit Lake (4-0)
5.) West Lyon (2-2)
6.) CLGLR (1-3)
7.) OABCIG (3-1)
8.) West Marshall (3-1)
9.) Williamsburg (1-3)
10.) Greene County (3-1)

Other teams to consider:
Monticello
Iowa Falls Alden
NFV
Clarion Goldfield Dows
Clear Lake

Predicted district champions and playoff teams:

DISTRICT #1
1. West Lyon, Inwood
2. Central Lyon/George-Little Rock
3. Unity Christian, Orange City
4. Cherokee

DISTRICT #2
1. Estherville Lincoln Central
2. Southeast Valley, Gowrie
3. Spirit Lake
4. OABCIG

DISTRICT #3
1. Clear Lake
2. New Hampton
3. Crestwood, Cresco
4. Forest City

DISTRICT #4
1. Waukon
2. North Fayette Valley
3. Wahlert, Dubuque
4. Jesup

DISTRICT #5
1. Monticello
2. Camanche
3. West Liberty
4. Northeast

DISTRICT #6
1. Williamsburg
2. Davis County, Bloomfield
3. Mid-Prairie, Wellman
4. Centerville

DISTRICT #7
1. West Marshall, State Center
2. PCM, Monroe
3. Iowa Falls-Alden
4. Chariton

DISTRICT #8
1. Greene County
2. Clarinda
3. Red Oak
4. Clarke, Osceola

True Contenders:
Esterville Lincoln Central
- Led by stud QB Schiltz, ELC looks primed to make it through the 2A-2 gauntlet.
Southeast Valley - Another team loaded with talent in 2A-2. Have the size up front and playmaking ability from Kruse to get the job done.
Waukon - Defending champs have 2 solid wins since their blowout loss to WSR. This team have the path to the dome and the experience to look for the repeat.
Spirit Lake - A third team from 2A-2 that could compete in the dome. This team is no stranger to competing for the champtionship.

Darkhorses:
West Lyon - Another familiar team with previous success in the past. Could make a postseason run if avoid playing top 2A-2 teams.
CLGLR - I am still hesitant to write this team off from their championship game appearance last year and Lutmer being their QB.
West Marshall - A team that could ride RB Pope into the playoffs.
OABCIG - A team that could rebound after a 20 point loss to Southeast Valley in week 4.

Playoff Projections: (bold = winner)
Quarterfinals:

Spirit Lake vs ELC
Greene County vs Southeast Valley
Waukon
vs NFV
West Marshall vs Williamsburg

Semifinals:
Waukon vs West Marshall
ELC vs Southeast Valley

Finals:

Waukon vs Southeast Valley

Discussion:

It was difficult to determine pairings for the playoffs, notably in western Iowa. 2A-2 is stacked and the state is going to have a difficult time spreading these teams out due to geography if that is how the postseason is the year. I would like to see at least 2 or possibly three teams out of districts 1 and 2 have a chance to compete in the dome. Let me know where I am wrong with things and your thoughts on class 2A!

Last edited:
2A is wide open this year. Any of about 6 teams could win it all IMO. Lots of "playoff" caliber games will happen in the next 4 weeks that may separate the contenders and the pretenders.

great work...interesting
Go to Moore's 4A Hot Garbage. He has 2 O-4 teams ranked over 2 4-0 teams.

Guessing that is where he got the idea to place a 1-3 in his top 10. In 2A Moore has 2 1-3 teams in his top 4.

The Emperor is still naked.

CLGLR is a very good team. They are probably top 10 talent wise, but hard to put them up there with 3 losses.

2A-2 will be alot of fun to watch over the next four weeks. Alot of playoff caliber games.

How is the state going to pair up the opening rounds of the playoffs?

Williamsburg will finish at 5-3 and district champ, I am not sure if they are a top 10 team, but their schedule was brutal and I don't disagree with them at #9.

In district 4 you have Jesup as the 4th qualifier, they lost to Oelwein this past Friday so that will be difficult for them to achieve.

District 3 is incredibly weak, district 2's last place team may have won that district.

Williamsburg will finish at 5-3 and district champ, I am not sure if they are a top 10 team, but their schedule was brutal and I don't disagree with them at #9.

In district 4 you have Jesup as the 4th qualifier, they lost to Oelwein this past Friday so that will be difficult for them to achieve.

District 3 is incredibly weak, district 2's last place team may have won that district.
2 is too strong. They may beat themselves to pieces week in/week out grind.

Guessing that is where he got the idea to place a 1-3 in his top 10. In 2A Moore has 2 1-3 teams in his top 4.

You really dislike BCMoore's rankings. Just don't look at them? He puts in a a lot of work, and everybody knows/realizes that computer formulas are not perfect. It's another form of analysis to take into consideration while looking at strength of schedule, predictions, offensive and defensive rankings. I'd rather have them, then not have them. As the season goes further and the formula accumulates more results/data, the rankings and point spreads become more and more accurate.

Reactions: MsideChief

Probably because CLGLR has the hardest schedule so far.

I don't see anyone in 2A beating BHRV, and Sergeant Bluff would be favored against every 2A team.

West Sioux would be a top 10 2A team. I don't think his ranking are too far off.

Discussion:
It was difficult to determine pairings for the playoffs, notably in western Iowa. 2A-2 is stacked and the state is going to have a difficult time spreading these teams out due to geography if that is how the postseason is the year. I would like to see at least 2 or possibly three teams out of districts 1 and 2 have a chance to compete in the dome. Let me know where I am wrong with things and your thoughts on class 2A!
So, when you say " have a chance to compete in the dome" do you mean you think they should be in the semis? Or that things should be aligned to given them opportunities (i.e. not knocked out earlier due to strong v. strong early matchups) to ne in the quarters and therefore an opportunity to advance. Tough to do with geography.

Reactions: janklow
It will be interesting to see how playoff pairings go with 2A-2. Id think 1 vs 4 in both D1 and D2 to for round 1.

After a 4 week hiatus, I am back to discuss class 2A up to this point in the season.

My current top 10 teams:
1.) Esterville Lincoln Central (3-1)
2.) Southeast Valley (4-0)
3.) Waukon (3-1)
4.) Spirit Lake (4-0)
5.) West Lyon (2-2)
6.) CLGLR (1-3)
7.) OABCIG (3-1)
8.) West Marshall (3-1)
9.) Williamsburg (1-3)
10.) Greene County (3-1)

Other teams to consider:
Monticello
Iowa Falls Alden
NFV
Clarion Goldfield Dows
Clear Lake

Predicted district champions and playoff teams:

DISTRICT #1
1. West Lyon, Inwood
2. Central Lyon/George-Little Rock
3. Unity Christian, Orange City
4. Cherokee

DISTRICT #2
1. Estherville Lincoln Central
2. Southeast Valley, Gowrie
3. Spirit Lake
4. OABCIG

DISTRICT #3
1. Clear Lake
2. New Hampton
3. Crestwood, Cresco
4. Forest City

DISTRICT #4
1. Waukon
2. North Fayette Valley
3. Wahlert, Dubuque
4. Jesup

DISTRICT #5
1. Monticello
2. Camanche
3. West Liberty
4. Northeast

DISTRICT #6
1. Williamsburg
2. Davis County, Bloomfield
3. Mid-Prairie, Wellman
4. Centerville

DISTRICT #7
1. West Marshall, State Center
2. PCM, Monroe
3. Iowa Falls-Alden
4. Chariton

DISTRICT #8
1. Greene County
2. Clarinda
3. Red Oak
4. Clarke, Osceola

True Contenders:
Esterville Lincoln Central
- Led by stud QB Schiltz, ELC looks primed to make it through the 2A-2 gauntlet.
Southeast Valley - Another team loaded with talent in 2A-2. Have the size up front and playmaking ability from Kruse to get the job done.
Waukon - Defending champs have 2 solid wins since their blowout loss to WSR. This team have the path to the dome and the experience to look for the repeat.
Spirit Lake - A third team from 2A-2 that could compete in the dome. This team is no stranger to competing for the champtionship.

Darkhorses:
West Lyon - Another familiar team with previous success in the past. Could make a postseason run if avoid playing top 2A-2 teams.
CLGLR - I am still hesitant to write this team off from their championship game appearance last year and Lutmer being their QB.
West Marshall - A team that could ride RB Pope into the playoffs.
OABCIG - A team that could rebound after a 20 point loss to Southeast Valley in week 4.

Playoff Projections: (bold = winner)
Quarterfinals:

Spirit Lake vs ELC
Greene County vs Southeast Valley
Waukon
vs NFV
West Marshall vs Williamsburg

Semifinals:
Waukon vs West Marshall
ELC vs Southeast Valley

Finals:

Waukon vs Southeast Valley

Discussion:

OABCIG actually hung with SEV in the first half and it was tied. It was a SEV defensive adjustment at the half that OABCIG could not answer. Would not count OABCIG out. It will be very interesting to see how they match with Spirit Lake.

SEV over Estherville 24-14.

Moore missed that one by a mile. Had Estherville by 14.

Last edited:
NFV destroyed Wahlert Catholic. Honestly, thought this would be a close game. Not even close. Wish the fans could vote for mercy clock rule!

OABCIG actually hung with SEV in the first half and it was tied. It was a SEV defensive adjustment at the half that OABCIG could not answer. Would not count OABCIG out. It will be very interesting to see how they match with Spirit Lake.
OABCIG hands SL their first loss.

Computer missed that by a mile too. Had SL by 18,

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT