ADVERTISEMENT

Snub's 2A Week 1 Rankings, District Predictions, Dome teams

Sep 13, 2019
Here is my preseason top 10 rankings for class 2A heading into week 1. I also included my predictions for each district and what teams I think will be playing in the UNI dome. Let me know what teams I am missing or other thoughts.

1). Central Lyon/George-Little Rock
2). Waukon
3). West Lyon, Inwood
4). PCM
5). Southeast Valley, Gowrie
6). Williamsburg
7). Estherville Lincoln Central
8). Spirit Lake
9). West Liberty
10.) West Marshall

Others: Camanche, OABCIG, Wahlert, Greene County, Oelwein

DISTRICT #1

1. Central Lyon/George-Little Rock
2. West Lyon, Inwood
3. Unity Christian, Orange City
4. Sheldon
5. Cherokee, Washington
6. Okoboji, Milford

DISTRICT #2
1. Southeast Valley, Gowrie
2. Estherville Lincoln Central
3. Spirit Lake
4. OABCIG
5. Clarion-Goldfield-Dows
6. Pocohontas Area

DISTRICT #3
1. Clear Lake
2. Crestwood, Cresco
3. Forest City
4. New Hampton
5. Osage
6. Garner-Hayfield/Ventura

DISTRICT #4
1. Waukon
2. Wahlert, Dubuque
3. Oelwein
4. North Fayette Valley
5. Jesup
6. Union, LaPorte City

DISTRICT #5
1. West Liberty
2. Camanche
3. Tipton
4. Monticello
5. Anamosa
6. Northeast

DISTRICT #6
1. Williamsburg
2. Mid-Prairie, Wellman
3. Centerville
4. Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont
5. Davis County, Bloomfield
6. Central Lee, Donnellson

DISTRICT #7
1. PCM, Monroe
2. West Marshall, State Center
3. Iowa Falls-Alden
4. Roland-Story, Story City
5. Albia
6. Chariton

DISTRICT #8
1. Greene County
2. Clarinda
3. Clarke, Osceola
4. Des Moines Christian
5. Shenandoah
6. Red Oak

Dome Predictions:
Waukon
vs PCM
Central Lyon/George-Little Rock vs Southeast Valley, Gowrie

Championship:
Central Lyon/George-Little Rock
vs Waukon

Last edited:
Reactions: rc1963
Nice post Snub way to get the talk going again.

No arguments with the top three they should reload and be somewhere close to those spots. I’m not so high on your next four and think PCM and Williamsburg are there on name recognition alone. Neither were elite last year and their records were inflated by poor schedules in my opinion. West Marshall was a point away from PCM and West Liberty beat Williamsburg in the playoffs. Both return many of their key players. I’ll take WM and WL at 4 and 5. The WM/PCM game will decide the district and should be a fun rematch.

As for the districts, I see a few sleepers out there. I like Spirit Lake to contend for the D2 title. SEV may be too tough but I think SL will make it interesting.

D3 is up for grabs and I’m definitely not sold in Clear Lake.

I like West Liberty to win D5 but Camanche will be good again and Monticello is a team that could sneak up on people. Monticello has a sophomore QB who will be known around the state soon. He led the team in tackles last year as a freshmen and is a great athlete.

District 2 is tough! Really strong top 3 and OABCIG is as solid of a 4th place team as you'll find. Prediction- ELC wins the district with Spirit Lake and SEV battling for the 2nd spot. Toss up there. All 3 could be top 10 caliber teams though!!
Will be very interesting where a 3rd place team from that district winds up in the 1st round of the playoffs...

Reactions: ghost80
I think I agree with most of the district predictions you posted... Osceola might not win a game so I highly doubt they'll be 3rd place in District 8. I could be wrong though!!

very good teams in 2a, a few in my opinion could play 3a. oabcig was very good last year...probably played on the same level as glenwood..they were that good

Everything gots to be proven on the field.There will be teams overrated and some underrated. Time will tell.I'm just going sit back and relax and enjoy.

I believe thT both PCM and West Marshall are both inthe top five. With Central Lyon, and Waukon right there with them

I like West Liberty to win D5 but Camanche will be good again and Monticello is a team that could sneak up on people. Monticello has a sophomore QB who will be known around the state soon. He led the team in tackles last year as a freshmen and is a great athlete.
West Liberty is a one man show though. Stop Galvan and Comets are a cake walk. And their offensive playbook is about 2 pages long. Jet. Jet. 3 Outs and a vert. TE Pop. It is easy to scout them. Follow the guards.

West Liberty is a one man show though. Stop Galvan and Comets are a cake walk. And their offensive playbook is about 2 pages long. Jet. Jet. 3 Outs and a vert. TE Pop. It is easy to scout them. Follow the guards.

He's not wrong. WL is pretty darned vanilla. Maybe their coach will stay out of trouble this year since WB isn't in their schedule. Monticello is going to be tough to beat.

Word is RB/DB Jahsiah Galvan may be out for a few games because of OWI. Guess he followed his coach's lead.

So, an OWI is the suspension equivalent of a kid getting an F in
He is definitely out for at least 2 games, as is their coach. Iske was celebrating West Libertys win over WB's second team a bit too much last season. That's what I'm hearing anyway.

He is definitely out for at least 2 games, as is their coach. Iske was celebrating West Libertys win over WB's second team a bit too much last season. That's what I'm hearing anyway.
This is a bush league post.
Do I think West Liberty beat West Branch at their best? Of course not. The Bears were missing 3 two-way starters (2 Covid, 1 injury) including QB Hierseman. But the Comets won. Period. They deserve to celebrate (responsibly) given it was the first time in 16 years.

As for the drinking comments, leave that stuff out of here. Show a bit of tact. My gosh. Have you never made a mistake?

So, an OWI is the suspension equivalent of a kid getting an F in a class?
The OWI would go school by school according to their code of conduct. And actually there is no academic ineligibility again this semester in Iowa, Governor Reynolds suspended that the 2nd half of last year and it continued into this year, I am not sure if it will continue after that.

What do you all think of CL/GLR vs BHRV first game of the year?
Should be a great game. First game of the year is always tough to gauge but these teams both bring back a lot. Like any other game it'll be won up front. Both teams have really good skill players with lots of experience. I'm hearing rumblings Teslaa gets the nod at QB. I think it'll be a really tight game. I'm going 28-24 Lions with a late TD sealing the deal.

District 2 is tough! Really strong top 3 and OABCIG is as solid of a 4th place team as you'll find. Prediction- ELC wins the district with Spirit Lake and SEV battling for the 2nd spot. Toss up there. All 3 could be top 10 caliber teams though!!
Will be very interesting where a 3rd place team from that district winds up in the 1st round of the playoffs...
District 2 is stacked. You are what you eat and whoever comes out of there on top could be a tough out.

After 2 weeks of ND play.......2A2 is 12-0.

Could be one of those cases this district could be too talented and instead of battle hardened the winners come out beat to pieces.

Reactions: MsideChief
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT