ADVERTISEMENT

Should Perry consider dropping football?

stickman80

Varsity
Feb 26, 2009
They have only been anything close to competitive when they have had a rare standout athlete but it could be time for Perry to consider pulling the plug on their football program.

Second straight winless season and while they were able to score in 8 games last year this year only saw them score in 3.

In Moore's ranking of 3A down to A he placed them this year 212 of 223 teams.

I would think if Perry dropped football and focused on cross country that could help them in other sports.

You are not going to see Perry or anyone else dropping football due to lack of success. The only reason teams cancel for even one year or forfeit is lack of numbers making it unsafe to play a varsity game. You could say the same thing about long time sad-sacks DM North, Saydel or Clarke, but they still get out there every Friday night. It wasn’t that long ago Independence had a multi-season losing streak.

You are not going to see Perry or anyone else dropping football due to lack of success. The only reason teams cancel for even one year or forfeit is lack of numbers making it unsafe to play a varsity game. You could say the same thing about long time sad-sacks DM North, Saydel or Clarke, but they still get out there every Friday night. It wasn’t that long ago Independence had a multi-season losing streak.

Not so sure about that. Culture has changed and the way society views losing. Not to mention the cost that football is burdening financially strapped school districts.

Will the "sad sacks" (Saydel was ranked below Perry in the 3A-A but did enjoy a 3-0 win the prior year over DM Christian) drop football? Possibly not, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't give it serious consideration. Years of losing can lead to the very situations you give. KCCI did a story this year of a small school who shelled out $45,000.00 for the safest helmet on the market.....and a couple weeks later did a follow up because they forfeited a game because they could not field a safe team. If I lived in that district I'd be questioning the wisdom in shelling out that $45,000.00.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Yes, drop it and focus on Cross Country and fall soccer.

Just kidding. Stick, you are an arrogant DCG fan.

Cross Country does not have a positive impact on other sports the way that football does.

They have only been anything close to competitive when they have had a rare standout athlete but it could be time for Perry to consider pulling the plug on their football program.

Second straight winless season and while they were able to score in 8 games last year this year only saw them score in 3.

I would think if Perry dropped football and focused on cross country that could help them in other sports.

that would the kids that want to play football unhappy....maybe they should merge with another team,.....

Last edited:
That really depends. For time management aspect, cross country practice takes less time, which could give the kids more time in the weight room.

Plus, those that want to keep in shape, the odds of an injury during the season is much less likely. Football is a long season and a kid could take a lot of hits. Most kids that play a fair amount arent at full strength at the end of the season. If they ran CC they can hit the wrestling/basketball season hard from the beginning.

As much as Stick is an idiot, his arguement that CC could prepare a kid better for wrestling or football has its merits.

Cross Country does not have a positive impact on other sports the way that football does.

Reactions: stickman80
Not so sure about that. Culture has changed and the way society views losing. Not to mention the cost that football is burdening financially strapped school districts.

Will the "sad sacks" (Saydel was ranked below Perry in the 3A-A but did enjoy a 3-0 win the prior year over DM Christian) drop football? Possibly not, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't give it serious consideration. Years of losing can lead to the very situations you give. KCCI did a story this year of a small school who shelled out $45,000.00 for the safest helmet on the market.....and a couple weeks later did a follow up because they forfeited a game because they could not field a safe team. If I lived in that district I'd be questioning the wisdom in shelling out that $45,000.00.
Exactly, check out the relationship of the Sup/Prin/AD and the salesman on that scam.

Exactly, check out the relationship of the Sup/Prin/AD and the salesman on that scam.

If I had to guess the large investment was made with the thought that if they threw a bunch of money at football it might give them some traction if people wanted to shut the program down because they could not field a team.

That really depends. For time management aspect, cross country practice takes less time, which could give the kids more time in the weight room.

Plus, those that want to keep in shape, the odds of an injury during the season is much less likely. Football is a long season and a kid could take a lot of hits. Most kids that play a fair amount arent at full strength at the end of the season. If they ran CC they can hit the wrestling/basketball season hard from the beginning.

As much as Stick is an idiot, his arguement that CC could prepare a kid better for wrestling or football has its merits.

I'd toss soccer in the mix as well. Can't tell me a 5-7 135lbs soccer kid is better off playing football over CC.

that would those that want to play football unhappy....maybe they should merge with another team,.....

Good idea but unfortunately often not very practical.

If you want to share a sport with someone you better be able to bring something to the table. Not sure who Perry would be able to share with and what they could bring to the table.

I've seen too many instances of merges and shares where (at least to start) a mix of players from both is getting playing time to satisfy and start the new team. Problem is that you could have better players from one team not getting playtime due to the politics of the combination.

Combine that with the issue of which town do you practice and play at?

If you can't bring something good to the table the other team has nothing to gain and can only lose if they merge with you.

Drop down a class. If it's good enough for the DSM publics to rant about it so should 3A.

Dropping a class probably makes no difference. Saydel dropped from 3A to 2A and has only 1 win in the last 2 years.

If you look above at Moore's rankings from 3A clear down to A, Perry is ranked in the bottom 5% of all those classes combined.

Right now there just seems to be a lack of common sense about some schools continuing their football programs.

Take Eagle Grove. The previous season they went 0-9 including forfeiting their final 5 games because of a lack of varsity players. This year they go 0-9 and since they forfeited away games the year before they had to give those teams home field this year to make it right (totally agree with that). Consequently they played the last 6 games all on the road and lost by a score of 14-336.

Why are they having a football team? I'm sure the team that had to accept their forfeit last year and then played an uncompetitive game against them this year are really thrilled they are on the schedule.

Right now there just seems to be a lack of common sense about some schools continuing their football programs.

Take Eagle Grove. The previous season they went 0-9 including forfeiting their final 5 games because of a lack of varsity players. This year they go 0-9 and since they forfeited away games the year before they had to give those teams home field this year to make it right (totally agree with that). Consequently they played the last 6 games all on the road and lost by a score of 14-336.

Why are they having a football team? I'm sure the team that had to accept their forfeit last year and then played an uncompetitive game against them this year are really thrilled they are on the schedule.
Maybe they want a program. I can't imagine dropping football because of losing. I can see not enough players but just quit because you can't win.

Stick - get over it. Let's not forget Perry nearly beat (probably should have) your DCG Stangs last season.

Perry's numbers were low in the So/Jr classes this year, but they return their OL/DL, that will help.

I watched a playoff game that Perry was in just 8 years ago. They had a pretty good team that year. They are going through a tough stretch now, but killing the football team doesn't strike me as a great idea. Where do you stop this? Do you nix a volleyball team because they are winless? Do you disband a baseball team just because they haven't won much the last 5 years? These things do turn around quite often.

Dumb thread is dumb thread. Even dumber poster is dumber poster.

Stick - get over it. Let's not forget Perry nearly beat (probably should have) your DCG Stangs last season.

Perry's numbers were low in the So/Jr classes this year, but they return their OL/DL, that will help.

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda......the 3 words in every losers vocabulary.

I think you have to try a co-op program first because once you drop it, it's never coming back because while it's expensive to maintain, it's much more costly to start or restart a program.

I watched a playoff game that Perry was in just 8 years ago. They had a pretty good team that year. They are going through a tough stretch now, but killing the football team doesn't strike me as a great idea. Where do you stop this? Do you nix a volleyball team because they are winless? Do you disband a baseball team just because they haven't won much the last 5 years? These things do turn around quite often.

Back in the day when a 4-5 record could (and did for Perry that year) get you into the playoffs. When you consider that team included a D1 senior LB/RB (Seeley- Iowa State) that isn't saying much for the rest of the team. As I already stated. Perry could be competitive on the rare occasion a good athlete worked its way through the program.

2018 perrys team was not that bad-
green county 14--perry 7
adm 13-------------perry 10
north polk 8-------perry 6
carroll 27----------perry 14
boone 35---------perry 28

though perry was winless, they were competitive in a lot of games. 15 pts from winning 4 of those games

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Wins and state titles arent the only reason why a school offers a sport.

Back in the day when a 4-5 record could (and did for Perry that year) get you into the playoffs. When you consider that team included a D1 senior LB/RB (Seeley- Iowa State) that isn't saying much for the rest of the team. As I already stated. Perry could be competitive on the rare occasion a good athlete worked its way through the program.

That raises more questions than clarifications.

First, WHO paid the $45k, was it the SD? was it the boosters? Fund raising? You can see a certain logic, if your numbers are dropping and you perceive it's because of safety concerns, that you want to address those concerns.

Second, the timing. It's not like they order the helmets one week, got them on Amazon Prime in two days and then, bam, forfeited. If the logic above was the reason for the investment, then the fact that the numbers didn't turn around immediately improve, doesn't mean it wasn't a valid attempt and may yet pan out. It's a little like saying, "my factory isn't making money, I need wage concessions from the workers," they grant them and you shut down the plant the next week.

Third, just because one game had to be forfeited, doesn't mean the program is dead and the investment is wasted. Sure, it's not a great sign, but I would assume that district is having continuing discussions as they look to next year, about how they address their numbers. One of the things they may be able to offer is, "We've made a significant investment in making the game safer, are you ready to encourage your child to play the game considering the advancement we've made."

Success, ebbs and flows over time. What's more important than "Our team is bad, we should kill the program (or our team is great, we need to keep everything the way it is)" is asking the questions about what we want our program to do and how will that benefit our school community?

First, WHO paid the $45k, was it the SD? was it the boosters? Fund raising? You can see a certain logic, if your numbers are dropping and you perceive it's because of safety concerns, that you want to address those concerns.

Second, the timing. It's not like they order the helmets one week, got them on Amazon Prime in two days and then, bam, forfeited. If the logic above was the reason for the investment, then the fact that the numbers didn't turn around immediately improve, doesn't mean it wasn't a valid attempt and may yet pan out. It's a little like saying, "my factory isn't making money, I need wage concessions from the workers," they grant them and you shut down the plant the next week.

Third, just because one game had to be forfeited, doesn't mean the program is dead and the investment is wasted. Sure, it's not a great sign, but I would assume that district is having continuing discussions as they look to next year, about how they address their numbers. One of the things they may be able to offer is, "We've made a significant investment in making the game safer, are you ready to encourage your child to play the game considering the advancement we've made."

Success, ebbs and flows over time. What's more important than "Our team is bad, we should kill the program (or our team is great, we need to keep everything the way it is)" is asking the questions about what we want our program to do and how will that benefit our school community?
Well said. Any time any team is talking about dropping football we all lose.

Although winning is obviously very important, high school football is about more than just that. It sounds like a cliche coaching statement but not everything is going to go your way and you are gonna get the short end of the stick at some point along the road. Along with that, it's about playing with your friends and making lifetime memories. Every team wants to make the dome and win a state championship, but in reality only about 1/5 of teams in any given class have any real hopes any given year.

Trying to debate with Stickman is difficult. He talks, but it's more about him than what he's trying to blab out. He also glosses over facts and the tries to spin in his own false sense reality. Very arrogant.

Sounds like a well prepared speech a coach has given the players and parents of kids who never leave the pine.

Trying to debate with Stickman is difficult. He talks, but it's more about him than what he's trying to blab out. He also glosses over facts and the tries to spin in his own false sense reality. Very arrogant.

I bet you (and some of the other Perry homers) have cried yourself to sleep every night since the 2016 election.

Hate to break it to you but you may have to keep crying another 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT