ADVERTISEMENT

Shot Clock...

LAK26

Gold Member
Feb 13, 2012
I've never been pro shot clock before. Not really against it either. But after watching state games where teams are up 5 or so with about 3 minutes left & they decide to take the air out of the ball and play not to lose...I'm now in favor. Let the kids play ball. Nobody paid to see a coaching chess match & a free throw contest.

I don't blame the teams for trying to win given the current rules. That's what they're supposed to do. But I now believe the product would be better with a shot clock. 30 seconds should work.

Watched a team this year literally pass the ball around for the final 90 seconds of a game this year. They'd take a timeout if they got in a tough spot, then stall again. It was pathetic.
Stalled for nearly 25% of an entire quarter.
...and it worked, unfortunately, they won.

Either a shot clock, or an elam ending.
The elam ending worked well in the NBA all star game
I have been a big fan of the elam ending ever since they busted it out in The Basketball Tournament a couple of years ago. It makes the end of games so much more exciting and enjoyable. I think it would be great to see it get used throughout the basketball world but doubt it will happen anytime soon, change is hard for people.

We had some great finishes to games the past couple of days but they could have been even better with a shot clock. It is long overdue in Iowa. I think it will happen eventually, but change is hard for people. There seems to be a theme going here.

Reactions: LAK26
Watched a team this year literally pass the ball around for the final 90 seconds of a game this year. They'd take a timeout if they got in a tough spot, then stall again. It was pathetic.
Stalled for nearly 25% of an entire quarter.
...and it worked, unfortunately, they won.

Didn't WDM Valley and coach BJ Windhorst stall an entire OT in a state semifinal to get the last shot of a tie game. I believe they made the last second shot to beat Cedar Falls if my memory serves.

Didn't WDM Valley and coach BJ Windhorst stall an entire OT in a state semifinal to get the last shot of a tie game. I believe they made the last second shot to beat Cedar Falls if my memory serves.
It was 2016 the 2nd overtime against Pleasant Valley. Turner Scott held the ball the whole time then hit a runner at the buzzer. I was there and the whole building was a buzz with what was happening. At the time it wasn't more amazement that it was actually happening. After he made the shot it was kind of annoying that such a ploy actually got them the win.

Dowling tried to hold for final minute or so of 4th, and CF did something radical: they amped up their defense and guarded; they trapped, and lo and behold, they forced a turnover to win the game. Such a voodoo counter-strategy to holding, without the defensive aid of a shot clock.

Dowling tried to hold for final minute or so of 4th, and CF did something radical: they amped up their defense and guarded; they trapped, and lo and behold, they forced a turnover to win the game. Such a voodoo counter-strategy to holding, without the defensive aid of a shot clock.
Agree. There are not very many High School teams who can throw the ball around the court for 1:00 plus without turning it over if the defense actually defends. If a team is going to just stand there and let it happen I don't have much sympathy for them.

Agree. There are not very many High School teams who can throw the ball around the court for 1:00 plus without turning it over if the defense actually defends. If a team is going to just stand there and let it happen I don't have much sympathy for them.

Shot clock is fine by me. You make the ends of some games more interesting... As previously stated though... You don’t have to sit back in a zone and let them milk the clock... Sitting on the ball can bite you right in the a$$ too.

Nobody paid to see a coaching chess match & a free throw contest.
tenor.gif

But, just as frequently, when a team tries to stop the stalling and force the action, there is one breakdown, and they throw it under the basket for a layup.
Equally as unsatisfying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT