ADVERTISEMENT

Shot clock in Iowa HS bball....is officially on the clock

Looking forward to it too, although I really think 45 seconds might be a little better for HS. At least do a 1 year trial of a 45 second clock first. Either way, it's past time for it's implementation.

I think it is a bad idea, especially for the small schools. There will be a lot of times where the clock is reset when it shouldn't, not reset when it should, and finding people to run it and understand the rule. Just my opinion.

I think it is a bad idea, especially for the small schools. There will be a lot of times where the clock is reset when it shouldn't, not reset when it should, and finding people to run it and understand the rule. Just my opinion.
That’s fair. Which is why I think the smaller classes it should be optional. But 3A and 4A, it’s past due. Sorry, but if I want to watch a 35-30 game, I’ll just wait until the fall and watch it on the football field.

If you've watched the NCAA or NIT tournament at all, you know a shot clock isn't a guarantee that games are going to be high scoring.
True and agree with you wolverine.

Personally, I'm looking at this from end of quarter and end of game scenarios. End of quarters, it's likely to diminish a team holding the ball for the last minute + or so of each quarter to get that last shot. Obviously a team could still have it for the last 35 seconds, and am ok with that.

End of games: it gives the team that's behind another option besides having to foul and free throw shooting contest in the last 2-3 minutes of a close game. If a team is up in the last minutes of a game now and has good guards, it becomes a game of keep away, fouls and free throws.

Reactions: LAK26
That’s fair. Which is why I think the smaller classes it should be optional. But 3A and 4A, it’s past due. Sorry, but if I want to watch a 35-30 game, I’ll just wait until the fall and watch it on the football field.
It's not our fault those schools have bad offenses......

True and agree with you wolverine.

Personally, I'm looking at this from end of quarter and end of game scenarios. End of quarters, it's likely to diminish a team holding the ball for the last minute + or so of each quarter to get that last shot. Obviously a team could still have it for the last 35 seconds, and am ok with that.

End of games: it gives the team that's behind another option besides having to foul and free throw shooting contest in the last 2-3 minutes of a close game. If a team is up in the last minutes of a game now and has good guards, it becomes a game of keep away, fouls and free throws.
Nobody likes the NBA, either, so you got that working against you...........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT