ADVERTISEMENT

Semifinals

Reasoned

All District
Oct 25, 2017
This is posted prior to IHSAA releasing semifinal matchups. Going to assume:

SEP vs PV
SEP schedule was considerably more challenging and would appear clear favorite. Only caveat is the PV veer option (think of AF) can give you problems if not used to seeing it.

Ankeny vs Dowling
Wow, have to think the climate control of the Dome favors an offense like Ankeny...but never count Dowling out.

Reactions: franky1967
I could possibly see the first two (having only seen PV play), not sure about Ankeny’s defense but have read about their explosive offense, looking forward to watching them.

I could possibly see the first two (having only seen PV play), not sure about Ankeny’s defense but have read about their explosive offense, looking forward to watching them.

Starting to believe that Ankeny might be a complete team, their offense leads practically every offensive category and their defense just held 4A's leading rusher to 50 yards and Aaron Smith to 18 yds receiving and no TDs

Starting to believe that Ankeny might be a complete team, their offense leads practically every offensive category and their defense just held 4A's leading rusher to 50 yards and Aaron Smith to 18 yds receiving and no TDs
Well as long as they end the streak, it’s all good. It will be interesting to see if SEP can handle the PV veer option (not sure if CIML ever sees it in action) but their offense should put points up on PV.

really disappointed how down all of the eastern Iowa schools are this year, wish IHSAA would have done a better job of seeding so Waukee could have been the 4th team in the semis, I look for SEP to blow out PV

Reactions: Reasoned
SEP should win comfortably.

I see Ankeny's offense being too much for Dowling. I do see Dowling making some adjustments and being competitive for a bit.

As much as I want SEP to take the title this year, I don't believe they can stop Ankeny's offense. If SEP can successfully get pressure on Bauer it may be a different story. I have Ankeny winning by 10 in the Final.

Interesting to read in the local QC rag that PV is counting on catching SEP off guard with defending their triple option offense...now where have I heard this before...^

Just another eastern Iowa team pounding the ball like it’s 1950. It’ll get you 8/9 wins/year, but, you aren’t beating any of the good teams from the Metro doing that.

Well in their defense, according to the most recent BEDS they’re giving SEP about 700 enrollment 9-12....which seems par for the course in the QC Metro.

Those numbers have nothing to do with running an outdated offense.

I’m with you on the numbers discrepancy, I want IHSAA to create a 5A class and just have the Metro in it. It’s sad year after year seeing a Metro team left out of the Final Four while a team from out East gets in and then gets throttled. Plus I’m sure the Metro would love to save time and money on travel.

Have no disagreements with realignment of classes, as for the triple option, seems to work for some but it’s definitely defendable.

Those numbers have nothing to do with running an outdated offense.

I’m with you on the numbers discrepancy, I want IHSAA to create a 5A class and just have the Metro in it. It’s sad year after year seeing a Metro team left out of the Final Four while a team from out East gets in and then gets throttled. Plus I’m sure the Metro would love to save time and money on travel.

We definitely need Hoover and Roosevelt in there

Reactions: Silentobservance.
Geographically it makes sense.

Makes zero sense to keep having these Eastern Iowa teams take up a spot in the Final Four and then get absolutely destroyed.

I don’t see the dominance changing soon. The same was being said about the Des Moines area schools prior to this 20 year run as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT