ADVERTISEMENT

Semifinals

franky1967

Varsity
Aug 9, 2006
I never thought I would see the day where the road to the championship game has to go through a Single City, but here we are.

WD Valley 35 Bettendorf 14. I have only seen Bettendorf play and I would like to see them win, but it won't happen Friday Night.

I think Valley has speed and size advantage and not to mention depth to go with it. Bettendorf can win, if it can just move the ball on the ground. Not throw interceptions and not have all the penalties I have seen them have.

CR Kennedy 28 Dowling 24. This is more wishful thinking than it is probably reality. However nobody knows really how good Kennedy is.

I know they will run more than pass and they will most likely need to have TOP along with turnovers to have a chance to win.

I looked at Dowlings roster and thought how intimidating it must be to stand across the field from them with their 70+ roster compared to Kennedy's 50+.

They both look like they have very big physical athletes, Coaching definitely is a plus for Dowling and depth maybe the key for Dowling.

Kennedy was down to Bettendorf 12-0, than 18-6 I think and came back and won 28-18? Just by rushing the football. So they can wear a team down. I think if Dowling gets ahead by a couple of scores they will be just to good to come back against with no passing attack

I am thinking of the opposite in terms of which game would/will be close.

I have Valley over Bettendorf by a possession. I do believe Valley is the better team, but I do believe a top tier rushing team like Bettendorf can keep it close due to the security of rushing. I will say Valley over Bettendorf 21-17.

I haven't seen Kennedy play, but I do believe Dowling is peaking at the right time. They were able to manage Williams' carries this year to around 100 so he was primed for a post season run. I think these last two games for Williams' will be big as he will be the center of the offense. A team with a line as big and physical as Dowling's mixed with a back like Williams (200+ pounds) is tough to stop at the end of the year. I say Dowling over CRK 38-17.

Best of luck to all 4 teams! Safe travels to everyone!

Reactions: franky1967
I am thinking of the opposite in terms of which game would/will be close.

I have Valley over Bettendorf by a possession. I do believe Valley is the better team, but I do believe a top tier rushing team like Bettendorf can keep it close due to the security of rushing. I will say Valley over Bettendorf 21-17.

I haven't seen Kennedy play, but I do believe Dowling is peaking at the right time. They were able to manage Williams' carries this year to around 100 so he was primed for a post season run. I think these last two games for Williams' will be big as he will be the center of the offense. A team with a line as big and physical as Dowling's mixed with a back like Williams (200+ pounds) is tough to stop at the end of the year. I say Dowling over CRK 38-17.

Best of luck to all 4 teams! Safe travels to everyone!
This could be the most interesting Semifinals to come along in awhile it could lead to:

Dowling/Valley rematch
Valley/Kennedy rematch
Bettendorf/Kennedy rematch
Dowling/Bettendorf finals

Reactions: GatorBait1988
I never thought I would see the day where the road to the championship game has to go through a Single City, but here we are.

WD Valley 35 Bettendorf 14. I have only seen Bettendorf play and I would like to see them win, but it won't happen Friday Night.

I think Valley has speed and size advantage and not to mention depth to go with it. Bettendorf can win, if it can just move the ball on the ground. Not throw interceptions and not have all the penalties I have seen them have.

CR Kennedy 28 Dowling 24. This is more wishful thinking than it is probably reality. However nobody knows really how good Kennedy is.

I know they will run more than pass and they will most likely need to have TOP along with turnovers to have a chance to win.

I looked at Dowlings roster and thought how intimidating it must be to stand across the field from them with their 70+ roster compared to Kennedy's 50+.

They both look like they have very big physical athletes, Coaching definitely is a plus for Dowling and depth maybe the key for Dowling.

Kennedy was down to Bettendorf 12-0, than 18-6 I think and came back and won 28-18? Just by rushing the football. So they can wear a team down. I think if Dowling gets ahead by a couple of scores they will be just to good to come back against with no passing attack

Again, I have to give props to Kennedy for developing a strong program in the past few years, but they have had close games with CRP, CRJ, lost to Valley, and didn't beat Urbandale by much. The only really strong programs they have played this year are Valley and Bettendorf, whereas Dowling has beat Ankeny twice, Centennial, Waukee, Johnston, and lost to Valley by a touchdown WITHOUT Williams. I am hoping it's a good game, but it is hard to see Dowling not being in control of the game and I see them winning by a few touchdowns.

Dowling had close games early on as well, but better competition. Kennedy could be the most physical team in 4A this year. Their defense has some really good linemen and an outstanding LB. Valley was getting gashed in the first half and had to put everyone in the box.CRK couldn't pass. If they have any kind of ability to complete enough passes, they won't lose by two+ touchdowns. They also have a great back. I don't see Dowling controlling this game at all, or manhandling Kennedy.

Reactions: franky1967
Dowling had close games early on as well, but better competition. Kennedy could be the most physical team in 4A this year. Their defense has some really good linemen and an outstanding LB. Valley was getting gashed in the first half and had to put everyone in the box.CRK couldn't pass. If they have any kind of ability to complete enough passes, they won't lose by two+ touchdowns. They also have a great back. I don't see Dowling controlling this game at all, or manhandling Kennedy.

Interesting arguments, and again, I admit I haven't been following Kennedy as closely as the metro teams, but have just been looking at their record. On the other hand, Dowling has one of, if not the biggest OL's in the state and Williams, who is probably the best RB. Additionally, as noted in the DM Register, Dowling's defense is really strong every year-this year it is second best in 4A with a tough schedule, and again, Dowling has second stringers in the second half of many games, even with the Roosevelt playoff game. Without that touchdown from Roosevelt at the end with the second string in (and with the second or third string in many other games against less than stellar foes and still allowing only 7 or 14 points), If they went full force on teams, Their defense would easily be number 1 in the state. Moreover, Dowling has a lot of experience at the dome and there is also the intimidation factor, which may or may not have an effect. On the other hand, I would really enjoy a great game and I wish Kennedy the best of luck-if they beat Dowling, that truly does say something about how far their program has developed in the past few years!

Interesting arguments, and again, I admit I haven't been following Kennedy as closely as the metro teams, but have just been looking at their record. On the other hand, Dowling has one of, if not the biggest OL's in the state and Williams, who is probably the best RB. Additionally, as noted in the DM Register, Dowling's defense is really strong every year-this year it is second best in 4A with a tough schedule, and again, Dowling has second stringers in the second half of many games, even with the Roosevelt playoff game. Without that touchdown from Roosevelt at the end with the second string in (and with the second or third string in many other games against less than stellar foes and still allowing only 7 or 14 points), If they went full force on teams, Their defense would easily be number 1 in the state. Moreover, Dowling has a lot of experience at the dome and there is also the intimidation factor, which may or may not have an effect. On the other hand, I would really enjoy a great game and I wish Kennedy the best of luck-if they beat Dowling, that truly does say something about how far their program has developed in the past few years!

I agree with a lot of that. I just think that Kennedy has some D-1 kids sprinkled around their roster as well.

Reactions: Reasoned and db1280
Dowling has one of, if not the biggest OL's in the state and Williams, who is probably the best RB.
True, Dowling has consistently had “one of the biggest OL’s), however, that doesn’t necessarily translate into success (in and of itself). In last year’s semifinal vs Bett, the smaller, quicker and more talented Bett DL went around those biggies. There’s an old adage, size punishes but speed kills ;). Also, In discussions concerning the “best RB” in the state, I would certainly add Bey-Buie in the mix.

True, Dowling has consistently had “one of the biggest OL’s), however, that doesn’t necessarily translate into success. In last year’s semifinal vs Bett, the smaller, quicker and more talented Bett DL went around those biggies. There’s an old adage, size punishes but speed kills ;). Also, In discussions concerning the “best RB” in the state, I would certainly add Bey-Buie in the mix.

I agree with you Reasoned, Bey-Buie is explosive and is under the radar to some extent because he was new to the school this year, but yes he is awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT