ADVERTISEMENT

SE Iowa?

Earvin32

Freshman
Feb 15, 2013
Who comes out of district 9-10? Wburg, FTM or Keo? This is a very interesting substate.

FM is definitely the smart bet, but Keokuk is capable of beating them if they meet in the district championship. I do like the winner of that game to win the substate game, but I'm sure Williamsburg is pretty darn good in their own right.

Going to be an interesting district / substate .. 4 teams with pretty solid talent ...

Williamsburg 13-1
Ft Madison 12-2
Keokuk 13-3
CCA 11-4

All four teams rated in Top 20 of BCMoore ratings ... Keokuk and Ft Madison split regular season games (Wentzien didn't play in FM loss to Keokuk.

Williamsburg beat CCA by 3 points in first game at Williamsburg .. Round two in in CCA next Tuesday.

I saw the post on 3A and thought I would give a summary of SE basketball. These are just opinions and I haven't seen a lot of teams from around the state play.

I didn't see the first Keokuk and Fort Madison game without Wentzien but was at the game at Fort Madison.

In my opinion, Fort Madison is the better team. They won by double figures at home and played Keokuk (at Keokuk) tough without Wentzien. Both Wentzien and Dahl are great players, but Wentzien is a tougher 1 on 1 cover and is more athletic. I think FM has the better supporting cast as well. Three of their other starters could be the leading scorers on some other area teams and Fort Madison's defense is the best I have seen in several years.

I don't think Keokuk is as deep as FM. I think they have some length in their starting lineup that FM does not have and they have a couple of really good 3 point shooters.

Its too bad that Fort Madison and Keokuk are in the same district because they both are really good. I have not seen Williamsburg this year. I think winner of FM and Keokuk goes to state, but I know Williamsburg is playing really well and will have to wait to see what happens.

SE Iowa ball is not that deep this year but there are several good teams that have a chance at state. Have watched more Danville games than others but have seen FM, Keokuk and Notre Dame play a number of times. The following teams have a chance at getting to state. In my opinion, FM and Danville will get to state.

1. Fort Madison (3A) - very good, well coached and Wentzien is one of the best players in state
District - I think they get to state.
Strengths - Defense is really good. Don't have a lot of size but very quick and aggressive with
good press. They will spread you out offensively with 3 pointers and penetration. Hard to play
man because of Wentzien and difficult to zone because of shooters (Nagel especially). FM is very
difficult to press with Wentzien and Chrisman handling ball.
Wentzien (combo guard) - Division I player - great all around game and super athletic. Best player
I have seen in a number of years. Best combination of skill and athleticism in SE Iowa in many
years.
Nagel (combo guard) - would average 20 a game at most area schools. Can really shoot but is a
scorer as well.
Abbey (guard/forward) - well rounded player. Scores, Rebounds, Defends. Tough kid
Chrisman (Burlington transfer) (Point) - quick with really good handles, passes and can shoot 3

2. Keokuk (3A) - very good offensively and Dahl does a great job running offense
District - I think they lose to Fort Madison in district final
Strengths - Have good size and quickness. Also very aggressive and several guys shoot 3 very
well. Dahl does really good job of penetrating and finding shooters. Really good rebounding team
on both ends.
Dahl (Point) - 2nd best player in region. Signed with D1. Can really shoot, pass and
runs their offense well. I like his game because he scores a lot but doesn't force shots. I think he
is a college 2 guard but needs to play point for Keokuk
Jones (combo) - very athletic and shoots 3 well. Good on the ball defender and gets up and down the floor fast
Howren (forward) - long and athletic. Good mid range game
Davis (shooting guard) - 3 point threat

3. Danville (1A) - the deepest team in SE Iowa. Very tall (long) 1A team with good bench
District - I think they go to state. Probably have to beat Sigourney to get there but think they are
heavily favored. I learned my lesson after watching Danville and Fort Madison play in preseason
scrimmage. Difference between 3A and 1A but Danville is very good 1A team
Strengths - really good offensively and well coached. Don't have much competition
in conference. Very athletic 1A team with great size. All state point guard in Speer. They have a
lot of youth as well so will be good in future as well.
Speer (Point) - can really shoot and pass. Great leader
Hoelzen (Guard/Forward) - inside outside threat that is very strong. Matchup problem for defenders
Peebler (Forward) - good size and inside player. Rebounds well
Jackson (Guard/Forward) - another inside outside threat...can also shoot 3
Sanchez (Combo) - good defender team player
Haeffner - (Forward) - athletic, long, score

4. Notre Dame (2A) - 2 very good athletes in Giannetino (state high jump champ) and Williams (great
all around athlete)
District - I would favor them to win district but lose to Regina in substate
Strengths - athletic at those 2 positions. Williams is a very difficult player to guard man to man.
Williams - very athletic...probably best overall athlete in SE Iowa. Very good in football, baseball
and track as well
Giannetino - long and good defender. Good mid range game and can get to basket
Depth may be a challenge

Team of the Future - Mt. Pleasant. Very good freshman in Sartorius. Sartorius is very strong for freshman with good skills along with good freshman supporting cast. Will be fun to watch over the next 3 years.

There are some other teams in SE Iowa with some decent players that I hate to leave out. But as far as teams, this is what I see.

seiowaball...I agree with you on all fronts....I do think ND has a very good chance to make it to DM...Williams is a tough matchup. Cant wait to see Williamsburg/Fort Madison matchup...

Bulldog 198240 - What do you know about Sigourney (Danville), Williamsburg or Clear Creek Amana (Fort Madison) and Regina (Notre Dame)? Appreciate your thoughts. Thank

I have seen Danville several times and I would be shocked if theres a better 1A team out there. They have talent at every position and big bodies to bang down low as well as good coaching. I think Danvile could be a sleeper for the title. I have not seen Sigourney.

Fort Madison is very talented and with one of the state's best in Miles, and Nagle can light it up from outside. Williamsburg has a really good guard in Adam Klein (transfer from Iowa City West) who can really score and some big bodies as well. I give the very,very slight edge to Fort Madison but if Klein gets loose and puts up big numbers, Miles may have to match his scoring to stay in the game. FM will need to crash the boards and keep Williamsburg from controlling the glass. This should be a really good matchup if neither stumbles before then. This will be one game to go see if you can.....

.editing this....after speaking with some very "in the know" basketball people they say Williamsburg is the team to beat. Could be a sleeper for a deep run....

Regina has Drew Cook who is obviously a very talented athlete. I have not seen them play but the matchup with BND could be a good one. I would pick BND but who know with this one???
This post was edited on 1/29 7:47 PM by Bulldog198240

If I had to bet my house on one team in Iowa to go to state it would be Danville. They don't have a very strong district and have blown through a lot of the better teams in it, and the other district in their substate isn't super strong either.

I think Ft. Madison and Keokuk are both excellent teams, but barring injury I don't see Keokuk beating the Bloodhounds. IMO Wentzien will end Dalh's highschool career in the district's championship. That game will be a great chapter in the rivalry no matter who wins. Ft. Madison looks to me to be one of the top 5 teams in 3A and if they were to make it to state, they would get a high seed (not that seeding really matters in 3A, as Wahlert will likely be one of the bottom seeds). However, they got a tough draw with Williamsburg. Everyone is complaining about the potential matchups in Substate 1, but Ft. Madison vs. Williamsburg may be a matchup between two of the top 4 or 5 teams in the AP poll.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT