ADVERTISEMENT

SE Iowa 1A

Nov 11, 2017
Most likely teams in SE / Eastern Iowa Iowa to advance to the final 4…

Regina
SK
West Branch
Pella Christian
Others?
Can Regina continue dominance?
Can SK repeat a dome appearance?
Does WB get over the hump?

Most likely teams in SE / Eastern Iowa Iowa to advance to the final 4…

Regina
SK
West Branch
Pella Christian
Others?
Can Regina continue dominance?
Can SK repeat a dome appearance?
Does WB get over the hump?
I’d say S-K and Regina. No for West Branch which we’ll find out more when they play Regina next week. S-K just won at PC and plays Cardinal this week.

Reactions: eyeblaster
I don't know about "dominance," but I think Regina should be in for the Quarterfinals

SK just seems to build their strength little by little each year, which is an impressive things for 1A ball. That win at PC was a good indication of their strength this year (although I don't know much information about HOW they won)

Like I said last week, never count WB out until they're out. Butch is good at getting the most out of what he has and about building through the season. We've seen several examples in recent years where they have some less-than-impressive early season losses. They take those, learn, adjust and move forward. They are dangerous up until the moment they lose a playoff game.

So, the question becomes, Who is the quarterfinal matchup going to be out of SE Iowa? Regina / SK? a Regina / WB rematch? Could we see a SK PC rematch?

If the sister district matchups play out, and assuming it's 1A-5 and 1A -6 matched up, we'd likely have (making a lot of assumptions, especially on the 3-4s)

Round 1

Regina v Central Decatur
WB v Cardinal
Wilton vs PC
Mepo v SK

Round 2

Regina v WB
SK v PC

This could set up a Regina / SK matchup or since I think the "tournament" gets re-seeded at that point, it's not necessarily a 1A-5 v 1A-6 matchup. Do we start to mic things up with IA-3 and IA-4? Does that bring matchups with teams like Beckman, Waterloo Columbus, MFL, DNH, and Denver (who is quietly 5-0...) Who's going to play the spoiler up there? Do we end up with something like SK v DNH and Regina v Beckman for a quarterfinal?

When you put it in that context and try to make those matchups there are a lot of dangerous games that can happen as early as round 2.

I'm really liking the 32 team playoff format, BTW. I think it gives everyone a chance who arguably deserves a chance.

I don't know about "dominance," but I think Regina should be in for the Quarterfinals

SK just seems to build their strength little by little each year, which is an impressive things for 1A ball. That win at PC was a good indication of their strength this year (although I don't know much information about HOW they won)

Like I said last week, never count WB out until they're out. Butch is good at getting the most out of what he has and about building through the season. We've seen several examples in recent years where they have some less-than-impressive early season losses. They take those, learn, adjust and move forward. They are dangerous up until the moment they lose a playoff game.

So, the question becomes, Who is the quarterfinal matchup going to be out of SE Iowa? Regina / SK? a Regina / WB rematch? Could we see a SK PC rematch?

If the sister district matchups play out, and assuming it's 1A-5 and 1A -6 matched up, we'd likely have (making a lot of assumptions, especially on the 3-4s)

Round 1

Regina v Central Decatur
WB v Cardinal
Wilton vs PC
Mepo v SK

Round 2

Regina v WB
SK v PC

This could set up a Regina / SK matchup or since I think the "tournament" gets re-seeded at that point, it's not necessarily a 1A-5 v 1A-6 matchup. Do we start to mic things up with IA-3 and IA-4? Does that bring matchups with teams like Beckman, Waterloo Columbus, MFL, DNH, and Denver (who is quietly 5-0...) Who's going to play the spoiler up there? Do we end up with something like SK v DNH and Regina v Beckman for a quarterfinal?

When you put it in that context and try to make those matchups there are a lot of dangerous games that can happen as early as round 2.

I'm really liking the 32 team playoff format, BTW. I think it gives everyone a chance who arguably deserves a chance.
Wow, you think Mepo loses to Wilton?

Last edited:
Wow, you think Mepo loses to Wilton? Let’s keep it in district and get a Mepo/WB rematch in round 1.
Good point, no, actually I think Mepo will handle Wilton pretty easily. I was thinking of Wilton at 4-1 and Mepo 3-2 and didn't think ahead that that would put them both at 4-2 with Mepo with the head-to-head. Good catch. For the record, to make up for my Faux pas, I'll stick my neck out and predict Mepo 38, Wilton 12. (I was pretty close last week)

So, that would set up a Mepo PC second round and SK Wilton. Do you think Mepo wins v PC and earns the quarterfinal with SK?

Good point, no, actually I think Mepo will handle Wilton pretty easily. I was thinking of Wilton at 4-1 and Mepo 3-2 and didn't think ahead that that would put them both at 4-2 with Mepo with the head-to-head. Good catch. For the record, to make up for my Faux pas, I'll stick my neck out and predict Mepo 38, Wilton 12. (I was pretty close last week)

So, that would set up a Mepo PC second round and SK Wilton. Do you think Mepo wins v PC and earns the quarterfinal with SK?
Wouldn’t Mepo/PC be first round? #3A vs #2B, if we’re looking at sister districts. I haven’t looked at the geography yet for each district and was going to wait until after this week for another week of results to get better info. I’m not convinced they’ll do sister districts. Who knows with the association.

This assuming PC is the district runner up and not Cardinal.

WB isnt going to make it to the quarterfinals if they face Regins before that. They are WBs kryptonite: physical up front and willing to be patient and strike.

I'd get a kick out of a Mepo/WB rematch though. That'd be a real fun game. Dogs were pretty solid and will be hungry.

WB isnt going to make it to the quarterfinals if they face Regins before that. They are WBs kryptonite: physical up front and willing to be patient and strike.

I'd get a kick out of a Mepo/WB rematch though. That'd be a real fun game. Dogs were pretty solid and will be hungry.
Sign us up immediately for this.

I never overlook WB. They are like ticks (and I don't mean that negatively.) Just saying they never give up. Going into the 4th quarter with a 3 touchdown lead never feels comfortable.

I agree that the line is a big factor in Regina's favor, just know that WB will never give up so that makes for good games whether there are one or two.

"get a kick?" I see wut you did there......LOL

I really think that the first round will be what you put up with Mepo and Wilton at #3 and #4 respectively. However, once those games are done I think there will be a split from there. Not sure if Sigourney will go east or not, but I think PC will play teams from northern or western Iowa. There season may end again this year at Van Meter.

I really think that the first round will be what you put up with Mepo and Wilton at #3 and #4 respectively. However, once those games are done I think there will be a split from there. Not sure if Sigourney will go east or not, but I think PC will play teams from northern or western Iowa. There season may end again this year at Van Meter.
Nobody wants into that quarterfinal matchup!

Will that be a good kick or a bad kick, nobody knows, well everyone will know except the official I guess.

Was the shanked kick I saw at the end of the game good or not?
No, but what does that have to do with a ref missing the most objective call in football earlier in the game. We’ll never know what happens after that point if the kick is called correctly. There are a lot of if and buts to that game so one could argue all day about those points, however, there is no argument that he missed that call.

Trust me he feels bad that he let the team down. I had to talk him off the ledge, made for a fun drive to Minnesota for a visit. I had to explain to him there were 100+ other plays that could have went differently including 2 TD’s getting called back for penalties, giving up a TD with 4 seconds left in the first half, RB tackled at 9 at end forcing the FG try vs leading, on and on. It was a team loss.

Last edited:
Just proving the point there is more than one mistake made in a game by officials.
Point in case:

the refs also missed an obvious faceguard/arm bar PI call on Mepo in the first half that forced WB into a FG scenario. they also missed a holding call on the Mepo TE who turned would be tackler WB #5 when isley scored the go ahead TD in the 4th. Hudl. Don't. Lie. I mean we could down a list of "if's and but's" all day.

Reactions: ghost80
Just proving the point there is more than one mistake made in a game by officials.
Point in case:

the refs also missed an obvious faceguard/arm bar PI call on Mepo in the first half that forced WB into a FG scenario. they also missed a holding call on the Mepo TE who turned would be tackler WB #5 when isley scored the go ahead TD in the 4th. Hudl. Don't. Lie. I mean we could down a list of "if's and but's" all day.
Yes, I admitted that. Happens every game. But how often does a ref miss a made field goal. There’s a difference between subjective (judgement calls) and an objective call like that. Either it went inside the uprights or not.

It was a good game, mistakes by all including refs. Would love to see a rematch.

@GoEagles23 face guarding is legal in high school. arm bar is subjective unless the ref determines a hold or a push. didnt see the play but hand and arm fighting for a ball is rarely called

The FG was good.
The PI was obvious
The holding was obvious

The game is over. WB won.
Move on people.
Why? Isn’t this what message boards are for? Just kidding, it’s over, that was my message to my son as well. And the L is for learning not loss or failure.

Point in case:

I have not seen the game and don't really care, but if you are whining about holding in a high school game, buckle up because you will be in for a long night if every holding is called. There have been times when an o-lineman has actually been holding onto the d-lineman while the d-lineman is running. The o-lineman was actually being drug along and still no holding call. That is high school football.

When was the last time West Branch beat Regina in football? Legitimate question.

I can't remember a single time in recent memory, at least not since Marv Cook took over the program, that West Branch beat the Regals.

When was the last time West Branch beat Regina in football? Legitimate question.

I can't remember a single time in recent memory, at least not since Marv Cook took over the program, that West Branch beat the Regals.

2005. It has been 17 years since West Branch has beaten Regina in football. No one on the team is old enough to remember it happening.

Regina went to West Branch in 2005 and lost 13-10.
West Branch visited Regina in 2006 and lost 28-21.
Regina went to West Branch in 2007 and won 41-7.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2008.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2009.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2010.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2011
Regina went to West Branch in 2012 and won 15-13.
West Branch visited Regina in 2013 and lost 41-16.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2014.
West Branch visited Regina in 2015 and lost 35-28 (playoffs).
West Branch visited Regina in 2016 and lost 49-15 (playoffs).
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2017.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2018.
Regina went to West Branch and won 30-20 in 2019 (playoffs).
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2020.

Hearing Louisa-Muscatine is forfeiting the rest of the varsity season. I know they did tonight, but we were told tonight it’s the rest of the season.

2005. It has been 17 years since West Branch has beaten Regina in football. No one on the team is old enough to remember it happening.

Regina went to West Branch in 2005 and lost 13-10.
West Branch visited Regina in 2006 and lost 28-21.
Regina went to West Branch in 2007 and won 41-7.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2008.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2009.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2010.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2011
Regina went to West Branch in 2012 and won 15-13.
West Branch visited Regina in 2013 and lost 41-16.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2014.
West Branch visited Regina in 2015 and lost 35-28 (playoffs).
West Branch visited Regina in 2016 and lost 49-15 (playoffs).
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2017.
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2018.
Regina went to West Branch and won 30-20 in 2019 (playoffs).
Regina and West Branch didn't play in 2020.

Good that they didn’t meet in 2010-2011

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT