ADVERTISEMENT

SCORING @ SECTIONALS

se xc1

Varsity
Oct 20, 2007
I am not a coach, so I don't know the details. However, it appears that our sectionals may have a few weight classes with 3 or 4 wrestlers. What if your kid is a legitimate 3rd place guy. Meaning, if there were 8 kids, he would have gotten 3rd. But with 3 kids, he may lose once and be done, scoring 0 points for his team. In another sectional with 8 kids, the 3rd place kid gets 2 wins and 1 loss, scoring pts. Seems a bit "not right" in my book. Why should teams get penalized because other teams don't have wrestlers? Some school at your sectionals could have 8 kids and 6 open weights, yet all 8 get second place. Your team gets 3rd place at all their open spots, possibly not even scoring, and they place higher than you. Granted this may not happen, but there is a chance. I have probably stumbled upon the bigger problem of 1A schools not having full line-ups, and not sure about a solution to that. With that said, and I don't have a perfect answer myself, but I think the scoring should be looked at.

Also, schools have wrestlers at weights but choose not to put them out there-feeling they don't have a shot- to prevent other schools from beating them and getting the points. Is this smart coaching or not man-ning up??

I think it'd depend on the situation.

If there's a loaded weight class and one team in particular has had an open weight at that spot or has been gradually working in an underclassman, or even if they're dealing with a lot of injuries at that weight, a coach may decide not to send a wrestler out there if there's really no chance they can get a contribution, and at the same time it does take away points from a team, but that team isn't gaining any points by not sending a wrestler out there either.

It's probable that some teams try this where they see no-win situations at certain weights and hold out wrestlers to give themselves an opportunity to "even" the field and score points with their stronger weights.

I understand a coach choosing not to send a wrestler out if he's not ready for this level at a particular weight even if he's all they got.

But then again, depending on the situation, what would it hurt to send a kid out there and see if he can score any points, especially if there aren't as many wrestlers at that weight class.

Is that really how the scoring works when they have fewer wrestlers at a weight class as you described?

I believe so. But since DUALS-as a team sport- is dependent on sectional scores, I just don't like the idea that if you have someone on the roster at an open weight, you hold them out. There are teams in other sports that everyone knows is going to get blown out in the first round, but they show up and play. That has got to be good for a kid's self-esteem. Hey, you helped the team out by NOT wrestling.

According to the ihsaa site team scoring for 1a sect., 2a sect., and 3a dist. will be 6 place scoring (16-12-9-7-5-3 ). So if there are only 3 persons at a weight 3rd place would get 9 points for their team.

Went and read it, I believe they get advancement points too, so I am now happy. Thanks for pointing that out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT