ADVERTISEMENT

school free/reduced lunch (FRL) percentages , classfication

ronsss

All Conference
Nov 8, 2003
can someone tell me what this is about...it makes no sense to me...reducing 40 percent of a school’s free or reduced lunch count from their annual enrollment to determine their final classification number – was approved by the Board of Control on Monday.....will be voted on soon........what the heck does lunch count have to do with this ???

Example: A school’s BEDS enrollment (9-11) for the upcoming school year is 1,000. The district’s FRL percentage is 37%.

• 1,000 – (0.40 x [1,000 x 0.37])
  • 1,000 – 0.40 x 370
  • 1,000 – 148
  • IHSAA classification number: 852

It is designed to create more competitiveness for teams with a high number of FRL...think Cedar Rapids Jefferson. They enrollment-wise should play 5A (I think), but with FRL, they will probably play 4A.

FRL data, for this purpose, is being used as a socioeconomic indicator of the enrollment of a particular school only. Don't focus on the word "Lunch". The number of eligible students for free or reduced priced meals is essentially the only annually updated documentation to describe the economic makeup of a school's enrollment in comparison to others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT