ADVERTISEMENT

Runner collapses at CF meet

mvchoops

Freshman
Nov 30, 2010
A Decorah runner collapsed shortly after finishing his race at the CF Cross Country Meet. Paramedics were performing CPR and he was taken to a local hospital. One of the most sobering things I have witnessed at a sporting event. I haven't heard anything further in regards to his condition. If I hear anything I will pass it along.

I hope and pray he's alright. I hope he can come back too. CPR on kid that was determined to be healthy and just finished a race is scary.

He is OK! It was surreal, to see those adults giving cpr for so long, well over 10 minutes, while kids were continuing to finish the race and come by him. In the end those adults saved his life, I don't know whether it was the aed shocks they gave or something the paramedics did when they finally were able to get there, but those CF parents and others nearby-Decorah coaches, UNI student trainers- recognized the problem and they knew exactly what to do to give him a chance-they didn't panic, they worked together and they didn't quit; well done folks!

Keller,

Thanks for the update. Great to hear!!! I was up near the softball parking lot 100 yards or so to the east of the finish line. It was apparent right away it was going to be tough for the emergency vehicles to get through the parked cars. The ambulance made it through after a few minutes, fortunately a couple of the cars most in the way had their keys in the vehicle - the fire truck never was able to get in. It reminded me of a CF at Eloo football game a few years ago when an East High kid suffered a serious injury and it took almost an hour to get a rescue vehicle into the stadium. There were illegally parked cars blocking all the emergency entrances and it took 45 minutes of the PA guy screaming over the loudspeaker to get the vehicles moved.

Glad this turned out well - You never want to see people doing CPR on a kid that age. Glad there were folks that knew what to do on scene.

Re: Runner collapses at CF meet/ Newspaper

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa ---- A race for one high school athlete turned into a fight for life.

A 17-year-old Decorah cross country runner collapsed Thursday evening while running in the Rich Engel Cross Country Classic at Birdsall Park in Cedar Falls. A spectator at the event, Dr. Greg Hoekstra, began doing CPR on him until a Cedar Falls police officer Sam Shafer and reserve officer Bob Wright arrived on the scene. The officers had an automated external defibrillator and administered the shock to jump start the young man's heart.

The athlete was taken to Sartori Hospital.

Sartori personnel called the on-scene response a "textbook save" and noted that CPR alone would most likely not have saved the student's life.

Cedar Falls Police have been carrying the defibrillators in each squad car for about eight years. Each officer is re-certified to use the devices each year.

"Frequently we're on the scene before ambulances and paramedics, so you have to do what you can," said Police Chief Jeff Olson. "We're just thrilled when we can do something like this to help."

The athlete's name has not been released.

Read More: http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/runner-collapses-at-high-school-x-country-meet-in-cedar/article_4bd9a77e-e07e-11e0-a0cc-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1Y8hn0YXA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT