ADVERTISEMENT

REGINA v WEST LYON prediction thread

BlameIt

Varsity
Aug 23, 2009
Regina 42
West Lyon 13

And that might be an underestimate.

Regals are just too athletic for any 1A team to contend with, and WL's offense cannot pass.

a one-dimensional team plays right into the Regals' hands

Much respect for what West Lyon has done this season, but they may be a season away.

I agree. I think the fact that west Lyon is so one - dimensional is problematic for them. I appreciate their smash mouth, "beat you with the weightroom" approach, but I don't see how it works against ICR. I would think west Lyon could hang from a physical standpoint...but don't have the athletes all over the field. Who knows, Regina puts it on the carpet a couple times, and west Lyon has a great start, maybe it's a game. I say 35-7 ICR.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by how well WLI plays against Regina. I see it being a close game, maybe a 14 point game. WSI is big and physical. They will give Regina run for their money. WLI will not wear out like SE did. THey rotate a lot of players in and out. They will still be hanging with them in the 4th quarter.

I saw the Regina/SW game. I was not impressed with SW. To say that they were the second best team in state, is funny. WLI and SE would easily win if they played SW. We will see who wins on Friday. I really believe this is going to be a really close game.

Originally posted by Greenvapor:

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by how well WLI plays against Regina. I see it being a close game, maybe a 14 point game. WSI is big and physical. They will give Regina run for their money. WLI will not wear out like SE did. THey rotate a lot of players in and out. They will still be hanging with them in the 4th quarter.

I saw the Regina/SW game. I was not impressed with SW. To say that they were the second best team in state, is funny. WLI and SE would easily win if they played SW. We will see who wins on Friday. I really believe this is going to be a really close game.
So WL rotates as many players (and quality players) as Xavier? Regina didn't wear out against a school with 5x their enrollment and 70+ kids on their roster.

Regina 56
WL 20

I have seen both these teams many times at the semis and championships over the years. West Lyon is always big, strong, and smart. They always play a pretty boring smashmouth style of offense, and aren't going to be coming back from 20 points down or anything. But I also have a hard time believing they will be dominated. They have a veteran coaching staff with much more experience playing in these types of games and preparing for different styles of teams than do many of the other 1A teams. They should at least provide some competition for Regina. I see a close game at half with Regina winning something like 28-14. And Xavier is more like 3x the size of Regina.

It will be fun watching the line play. It should be a physical game thus maybe a lower scoring game.

Thoughts?

Greenvapor, or should I say Coach of Regina, motivate your guys at practice and locker room and not on a forum. Don't come on here predicting a close game, so your Regina players don't take this game lightly.

Originally posted by iceland:
I have seen both these teams many times at the semis and championships over the years. West Lyon is always big, strong, and smart. They always play a pretty boring smashmouth style of offense, and aren't going to be coming back from 20 points down or anything. But I also have a hard time believing they will be dominated. They have a veteran coaching staff with much more experience playing in these types of games and preparing for different styles of teams than do many of the other 1A teams. They should at least provide some competition for Regina. I see a close game at half with Regina winning something like 28-14. And Xavier is more like 3x the size of Regina.
Xavier's roster is deep, much deeper than WL (actually all 1A, 2A, 3A and most 4A rosters to be factual).

Regina's coaching staff is rather veteran and has prepared their team now 5 times (in a row) for a championship game. I think WL will provide some comp for a qrt to maybe a half, but Regina pulls away.

Pretty bold statement there Rocket. I would be very surprised if a coach at Regina would do something like that. I would go on record as saying that the players aren't taking this game lightly.

That's a pretty bold statement. You can put any 1A team up against Regina and be unimpressed with them. I am hoping West Lyon can make a game out of it, but I have a hard time seeing their one-dimensional offense accomplish anything against that defense.

I dont know much about Regina, but hear great things. A couple things come to mind.

Can Regina stop the WL running game? IF WL can control the line of scrimmage and methodically march down the field and score touchdowns (5-6 minute drives) then it can stay in the game. It has to shorten the game and stay ahead of the chains.

I don't know if the WL secondary can slow down the Regina attack. WL is doing to need a few defensive breaks to stay in this one.

2 completely different styles of play, but both have great coaching staffs. Should be fun

I see this one being similar to the CLGLR game. However, I don't think West Lyon puts up as many yards as they did against CLGLR.

Cook throws for 225+ 3TD+
Cook/Brinkman rush for 150+ combined 2TD+

Final
Regina 56
West Lyon 14

Halftime
Regina 35
West Lyon 7

Originally posted by Lyoncounty:
I dont know much about Regina, but hear great things. A couple things come to mind.

Can Regina stop the WL running game? IF WL can control the line of scrimmage and methodically march down the field and score touchdowns (5-6 minute drives) then it can stay in the game. It has to shorten the game and stay ahead of the chains.

I don't know if the WL secondary can slow down the Regina attack. WL is doing to need a few defensive breaks to stay in this one.

2 completely different styles of play, but both have great coaching staffs. Should be fun
These were my thoughts going into last year's Regina vs NFV game. While NFV had some success running the ball, once Regina made a couple a big plays it was game over.

West Lyon fans have been some of the most supportive of Regina being in 1A, claiming every body else needs to step up their game. They also believe some of their teams have been superior to Regina. I wonder if these sentiments will hold true after this game.

Regina is the odds on favorite, but don't look for West Lyon to be intimidated/star-struck.

Only chance for a WL victory is for them to:
1) dominate (not just control) the line of scrimmage. If they can blow Regina off the ball, they are hard to get 3 & outs on. They do not make many mistakes.
2) Cook has to have an off night. Either by WL getting to him in the backfield or just a bad night of throwing accuracy. WL secondary is not good enough to do it by themselves.

WL doesn't throw because they don't have to (until now). They need to complete a few passes when everyone in the UNI-Dome is looking for the run.

Regina 31-20

I've thought it all season that this is the best Regina team ever.

They will roll here, again.

Iowa City Regina 48
West Lyon 7

Rocketman, that is the funniest thing I have heard on these boards. I am any thing but a Regina coach. If you look at my past posts on these boards it is pretty clear I am a die hard SE Gael fan. I support the Gaels. I was hoping the Gaels would get another shot at the Regals. I thought we had something for them this year. I guess I was wrong. WLI took it to us. No shame in losing to a better team. Regina is a great team that I have a lot of respect for. However, I am from northwest Iowa and tend to rout for teams on the western side of the state. Sometimes I do not feel the western teams get the respect they deserve.i am routing for WLI because they beat us and I think it would be really great to show that a predominately running team can still win in this age of spread offenses. I think their unies look great too.

Originally posted by Lyoncounty:

Chances of running against Regina... Slim
South Winn had 31 carries for 44 yards... They averaged 270YPG in the other 12 games... Lowest output being around 220 yards against New Hampton who nearly beat a run dominate NFV(State Championship team) losing by 2 twice.
Cascade 22 carries for 11 yards...
Solon had 36 carries for 195 yards in Regina's only loss to start the season. Regina has gotten progressively better on offense and defense since then.
CR Xavier 26 carries for 85 yards...

The only chance you can really have is in the passing game.
Xavier 150 yards
Solon 152 yards
Cascade 205 yards
South Winn 136 yards

Regina beating South Winn as bad as they did came on some fortunate plays as well. The fumble turned TD was really the final air out of the balloon for South Winn as they were down 28-6 when it happened. If something like that happens and you are already down that far it is hard for your players to not give up or let it get in their heads.

The biggest difference in this game will not be in the trenches. ICR can hold its own with anyone at the LOC. The biggest issue is WL will not stop or slow that offense down. That team has as much speed as any of the Top teams in 3A and 4A. ICR speed is very comparable with Pella, CR Wash, and Dowling.

You are full of it. Regina's team speed is good, but they are NOT one of the fastest teams in the state. Go look at Quikstats for Regina's track team. Their times are not even impressive for class 1A. If their team speed is that much better than everyone else in the state, then their track times should correlate.If you are going to claim that Regina has team speed that compares to Pella, Wash, and Dowling, you would think that they would at least score 1 point at the 2A state track meet... but they didn't.

Go ahead and argue that track speed and football speed are different, but speed is speed. I understand that some of their players were on the state championship soccer team last year, so some of their speed would be lost to the soccer team. But by arguing that they are one of 4 fastest teams in the state but being unable to score a single point at state track shows otherwise. I am not saying that they don't have exceptional team speed. But they aren't that much faster than other teams, they are just better coached and so they are able to "PLAY" faster than their opponents.

Here are the track times from last season from the "FASTEST TEAM IN THE STATE" "except for maybe Dowling, Pella and Wash...." according to Maxstabs13

4x100 - 44.82
4x200 - 1:33.62
4x400 - 3:37.2
4x800 - 9:21.63
D.Med - 3:59.66

Top 3 for each sprint event
100 - 11.25, 11.39, 11.84
200 - 23.44, 23.59, 23.93
110H - 17.27

In comparison, here is Madrid's stats. A team who lost in the first round of 1A playoffs...
4x100 - 44.36
4x200 - 1:33.45
4x400 - 3:43.63
4x800 - 8:29.45
DMed - 3:54.64

100 - 11.34, 11.58, 11.86
200 - 23.0, 23.34, 24.52
110H - 15.66, 16.10, 17.17

Madrid is actually faster in most categories and last year was arguably one of their down years in speed over the last 7-8 years. I'm not saying that Regina isn't one of the best football teams in the state. All I'm saying is that they aren't the fastest.

Bringin the Heat, we get it you're a Madrid homer. You don't have to bring them into every thread. Two things I will argue here:

1) If you don't think Regina is one of the fastest teams in the state you are either uninformed or have not seen them play. They have quite a bit of speed.

2) There is a major difference between track speed and football speed (especially when you list 4x400, 4x800, and D Med in your argument). Football is all about acceleration and bursts of speed. Some of the quickest football players may not run the fastest 100 or 200 on a track, but at least those events can be somewhat of a comparison for football speed. There is also the concept of "Team Speed" which Regina definitely has.

Regina is very fast and athletic. Particurlary, Jake Brinkman.

WELLMAN - Jake Brinkman sprinkled a little bit of new flavor into his standard track meet recipe on Thursday.
It all added up to success for the Regina junior.
Brinkman finished second in his standard race, the 100 meters, and added a third-place finish in the long jump in just his second attempt at the event to help Regina to a fifth-place team finish at the River Valley Conference meet at Mid-Prairie.
"I love it," Brinkman said of adding the long jump to his event list. "Coach just asked last week, 'Who wanted to try it?' and I only had three events, so I tried it. So getting third in conference for my second meet, I'm very happy with that."

Brinkman finished second in the 100 in a season-best time of 11.01 seconds, just .05 seconds behind Easton McDaniel of Camanche.

Brinkman added a third-place finish in the long jump with a leap of 19 feet, 5 inches in his second time attempting the event.
In his first attempt at the long jump since seventh grade, Brinkman jumped 20-4½ at last week's Clear Creek Amana Pacha Relays.

I used Madrid as an example because I am aware of their stats and they are a school of similar size to Regina. My point was that Regina's SPEED was not even in the same ballpark as Dowling, Wash, or even Pella. I just posted all of their team relay times to show a total picture of team speed. Obviously no one is going to run an 800 on a football field.

The difference between football speed (as you call it) and track speed comes down to lots of things. Track shows speed and guts, period. In football, speed is visible clearly at the WR, RB, & QB positions as well as DB, KR, & PR. A team's philosophy and scheme they play can showcase or hinder a player's natural speed. Teams who are well coached allow their players to play without thinking (in a way), so they "play faster". An agressive attack style offense or defense can make players seem faster than they actually are because they are moving in the correct direction immediately, or even potentially before the snap. Regina plays fast. That is a result of good coaching and a scheme that helps. Good reads, believing in your responsibilites, etc will make a team faster to react on the field, but doesn't make them fast. Claiming they have team speed comparable to Dowling and Wash is laughable.

The original post never said that Regina was the QUICKEST team in football, but said that they were the FASTEST. A lot of college coaches would argue with you that track speed doesn't correlate to football speed. Adrian Peterson - 100M 10.33 in HS, Herschel Walker 100m 10.23, Bo Jackson - 10.39, etc etc etc. Agility and change of direction aren't tested in track, but SPEED is. There's a reason that the 40yd dash is one of the critical testing events at the NFL combine every year. Speed kills at the DB and WR positions.The vast majority of the fastest ones also ran track, and were fast there too.

By the way Brinkman had an 11.38 at state. 12th place for 2A in the 100m

Originally posted by Bringin the Heat:
I used Madrid as an example because I am aware of their stats and they are a school of similar size to Regina. My point was that Regina's SPEED was not even in the same ballpark as Dowling, Wash, or even Pella. I just posted all of their team relay times to show a total picture of team speed. Obviously no one is going to run an 800 on a football field.

The difference between football speed (as you call it) and track speed comes down to lots of things. Track shows speed and guts, period. In football, speed is visible clearly at the WR, RB, & QB positions as well as DB, KR, & PR. A team's philosophy and scheme they play can showcase or hinder a player's natural speed. Teams who are well coached allow their players to play without thinking (in a way), so they "play faster". An agressive attack style offense or defense can make players seem faster than they actually are because they are moving in the correct direction immediately, or even potentially before the snap. Regina plays fast. That is a result of good coaching and a scheme that helps. Good reads, believing in your responsibilites, etc will make a team faster to react on the field, but doesn't make them fast. Claiming they have team speed comparable to Dowling and Wash is laughable.

The original post never said that Regina was the QUICKEST team in football, but said that they were the FASTEST. A lot of college coaches would argue with you that track speed doesn't correlate to football speed. Adrian Peterson - 100M 10.33 in HS, Herschel Walker 100m 10.23, Bo Jackson - 10.39, etc etc etc. Agility and change of direction aren't tested in track, but SPEED is. There's a reason that the 40yd dash is one of the critical testing events at the NFL combine every year. Speed kills at the DB and WR positions.The vast majority of the fastest ones also ran track, and were fast there too.

Yes - and Brinkman outran the 3A 110HH and 200 champ as well as a couple of the 4x100 sprinters on the same run (Ham won the 110-meter hurdles and the 200 meters less than an hour apart, then anchored the 4x100 relay team to a second-place finish that sealed the team title) - so Brinkman is fast.

Football speed and track speed only mesh in "straight-line" speed - soccer plays a huge part in lateral quickness that fball players (of all positions) need.

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:
Originally posted by Bringin the Heat:

Yes - and Brinkman outran the 3A 110HH and 200 champ as well as a couple of the 4x100 sprinters on the same run (Ham won the 110-meter hurdles and the 200 meters less than an hour apart, then anchored the 4x100 relay team to a second-place finish that sealed the team title) - so Brinkman is fast.

Football speed and track speed only mesh in "straight-line" speed - soccer plays a huge part in lateral quickness that fball players (of all positions) need.
Yeah but no one likes soccer....
tongue.r191677.gif

Exactly. I didn't say there is no correlation, but there is a difference. There have been plenty of guys who can run real fast in a straight line on a track but don't have the agility or quickness to do anything besides return kicks and run fly routes in football. That quickness also obviously comes into play at many positions besides WR and DB.

This will be a good game. Regina is no doubt the favorite here and they have earned that, but West Lyon is here for a reason. West Lyon has a great group of seniors that have worked their tails off for a long time now. They are ready for this challenge. I am anticipating a close hard hitting game.

Most of their faster football players don't do track. They either do soccer or lift in the spring. I've heard that might change this year though. Also, their linemen are very quick for their size.

Originally posted by usfhawk:
This will be a good game. Regina is no doubt the favorite here and they have earned that, but West Lyon is here for a reason. West Lyon has a great group of seniors that have worked their tails off for a long time now. They are ready for this challenge. I am anticipating a close hard hitting game.
Yes, as a West Lyon fan you obviously should. Good luck with that tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT