ADVERTISEMENT

Regina @ CR Xavier. Who wins?

Sep 27, 2014
Big game this week. Regina (1A state champs) has a chance to make a statement against Xavier (last year's 4A runner up). What are your thoughts on this game and the potential outcome?

My question regarding Xavier's future success is two-fold: 1) is their passing game adept enough to lean on in the face of a stout rush defense? 2) can they defend against a team that can rush well AND pass well?

Don't know for sure, but these two questions might be addressed against Regina.

Xavier's overall defense has been top-notch, but particularly against the run. They did pretty much control Western Dubuque's passing game except for the Bobcat's scoring drive, so you might have some questions there.

Offensively the passing game has not been strong for Xavier this year. It was horrendous, in fact, in the Western Dubuque loss (zero yards passing, five sacks allowed). They did throw much better against Wahlert.

Originally posted by thinkpad1:

Xavier at home on this one. Regina beat by Solon, Solon shut out by Xavier.
That was the first game of the season and Regina didn't play anywhere close to what they are capable of.

Originally posted by BigDan21:

That was the first game of the season and Regina didn't play anywhere close to what they are capable of.
And, Solon was without their best player (RB Brandon Kramer) during their game against Xavier.

Originally posted by BigDan21:

I think Regina has made great progress since that game (especially with Phillips carrying the ball more, VERY elusive RB and deadly when on the screen\wheel route).

I'll have to go with Xavier. A good defense will take you a long ways. Granted Solon wasn't at full strength when facing Xavier, but they still got dominated. Could be a statement game for Xavier. But, same could be said for Regina as well.

Thoughts on the game?.......It's a match up of two teams that are playing in the class they're in because the state says so. Not indicative of how these programs really are.

images

Originally posted by bumblebee:

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:
Regina.
Thank you, thank you - no applause please...
good win, but this is probably the weakest CR Xavier team in 15 years

I completely disagree with that. This year's Xavier team has a SALTY defense, and would probably be a top 5 team in 4A. They played Dowling closer than any 4A team has, with the exception of Valley.

Not surprised at all by the outcome of this game...Regina has a D1 QB, Xavier starts a young sophomore. The most important player in football is the QB.

I have seen Xavier play many times over the years and this is the smallest team size wise I have seen. IMO they would be an average 4A team. The Xavier teams from last year and two years ago would probably have the running clock against this years squad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT