ADVERTISEMENT

Reasoned: Can you justify this big government abuse of private landowners?

Menace Sockeyes

Varsity
Apr 7, 2021
Republicans who support a bill that seeks to limit public land buys say the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and county conservation boards shouldn’t be competing with farmers trying to buy timber for cattle grazing.

But Democrats who oppose Senate Study Bill 3134 say its more often developers or other large farmers outbidding new farmers when land goes to auction.

The bill passed the Senate Natural Resources Committee with a 7-to-5 vote along party lines and now may be considered by the full Senate.

“If conservation is truly the reason a person wants to put land into the lands of the state of Iowa, they can still do that,” said Sen. Dan Zumbach, R-Ryan.

SSB 3134, proposed by Sen. Annette Sweeney, an Alden farmer and Republican, limits the amount of money groups such as the Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources or county conservation boards can pay to buy land to convert it to public uses that could include parks, playgrounds or museums.

The proposed purchase caps range depending on the land’s potential for farming:

• For timber and nontillable pasture, buyers can pay up to 80 percent of fair market value
  • Low-quality cropland — 75 percent
  • Medium-quality cropland — 70 percent
  • High-quality cropland — 65 percent.

Landowners who sell to the DNR or county conservation board for the capped price can’t claim the remaining value as a tax deduction, the bill states.

Sen. Jeff Taylor, R-Sioux Center, said he spoke with two farmers from O’Brien County who have concerns about competing against conservation groups for timber that’s not ideal for row crops but does work for cattle grazing.

“This is the government putting some curbs on the government itself,” he said. “I do understand some of the concerns being raised — I don’t want to be dismissive — but I’m not seeing any recognition this is a legitimate problem.”

Sen. Sarah Trone Garriott, D-Windsor Heights, said she received 700 emails in opposition to SSB 3134.

“To me that’s a pretty strong message to Iowans that this is not right for our state,” she said. “If we are to move this bill forward, we are not listening to the will of the people.”

Sen. Nate Boulton, D-Des Moines, said he considers the bill a kind of eminent domain because the Legislature would be limiting the options of landowners who want their land to become public, but can’t afford to do so at a reduced price.

He pointed out Iowa has one of the lowest shares of public land in the nation.

“I do think we have a problem to solve in access to land for the next generation of farmers,” Boulton said. “I don’t think this hits that objective.”

The Bur Oak Trust, based in Iowa City, accepted a donation of 103 acres near Wellman in 2018. The Washington County Conservation Board now is under contract to buy the parcel and expand the English River Wildlife Area, available to the public for hunting, fishing, primitive camping or hiking.

Bur Oak Executive Director Jason Taylor told The Gazette earlier this week SSB 3134 will hurt projects like this.

“I don’t know a case where land trusts are outbidding farmers,” he said.

Republicans who support a bill that seeks to limit public land buys say the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and county conservation boards shouldn’t be competing with farmers trying to buy timber for cattle grazing.

But Democrats who oppose Senate Study Bill 3134 say its more often developers or other large farmers outbidding new farmers when land goes to auction.

The bill passed the Senate Natural Resources Committee with a 7-to-5 vote along party lines and now may be considered by the full Senate.

“If conservation is truly the reason a person wants to put land into the lands of the state of Iowa, they can still do that,” said Sen. Dan Zumbach, R-Ryan.

SSB 3134, proposed by Sen. Annette Sweeney, an Alden farmer and Republican, limits the amount of money groups such as the Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources or county conservation boards can pay to buy land to convert it to public uses that could include parks, playgrounds or museums.

The proposed purchase caps range depending on the land’s potential for farming:

• For timber and nontillable pasture, buyers can pay up to 80 percent of fair market value
  • Low-quality cropland — 75 percent
  • Medium-quality cropland — 70 percent
  • High-quality cropland — 65 percent.

Landowners who sell to the DNR or county conservation board for the capped price can’t claim the remaining value as a tax deduction, the bill states.

Sen. Jeff Taylor, R-Sioux Center, said he spoke with two farmers from O’Brien County who have concerns about competing against conservation groups for timber that’s not ideal for row crops but does work for cattle grazing.

“This is the government putting some curbs on the government itself,” he said. “I do understand some of the concerns being raised — I don’t want to be dismissive — but I’m not seeing any recognition this is a legitimate problem.”

Sen. Sarah Trone Garriott, D-Windsor Heights, said she received 700 emails in opposition to SSB 3134.

“To me that’s a pretty strong message to Iowans that this is not right for our state,” she said. “If we are to move this bill forward, we are not listening to the will of the people.”

Sen. Nate Boulton, D-Des Moines, said he considers the bill a kind of eminent domain because the Legislature would be limiting the options of landowners who want their land to become public, but can’t afford to do so at a reduced price.

He pointed out Iowa has one of the lowest shares of public land in the nation.

“I do think we have a problem to solve in access to land for the next generation of farmers,” Boulton said. “I don’t think this hits that objective.”

The Bur Oak Trust, based in Iowa City, accepted a donation of 103 acres near Wellman in 2018. The Washington County Conservation Board now is under contract to buy the parcel and expand the English River Wildlife Area, available to the public for hunting, fishing, primitive camping or hiking.

Bur Oak Executive Director Jason Taylor told The Gazette earlier this week SSB 3134 will hurt projects like this.

“I don’t know a case where land trusts are outbidding farmers,” he said.

Your thread on "big government abuse" centers on big government buying up land that farmers want to use?

LOL...retard.

Your thread on "big government abuse" centers on big government buying up land that farmers want to use?

LOL...retard.

Sassy’s lack of awareness is absolutely stunning.

I actually had to read it twice because it truly was that stunning.
It's about government DENYING the right of farmers to sell their own land to who they want to (for even reasonably below market price), because big agribusiness and factory farms might want that land. I'm not shocked this went over your heads. @Reasoned nailed it.

It's about government DENYING the right of farmers to sell their own land to who they want to (for even reasonably below market price), because big agribusiness and factory farms might want that land. I'm not shocked this went over your heads. @Reasoned nailed it.

No, no...I got it. But you're complaining about big government not being allowed to outbid farmers for land.

I don't like regulation from government, so I hear you. I also don't like government buying a fvck-ton of land to keep it away from private industry...x100 when they then prevent private farmers/industry from using said land because big government knows better.

You missed that point...to the surprise of no one.

No, no...I got it. But you're complaining about big government not being allowed to outbid farmers for land.

I don't like regulation from government, so I hear you. I also don't like government buying a fvck-ton of land to keep it away from private industry...x100 when they then prevent private farmers/industry from using said land because big government knows better.

Dumbest person on the internet.

Dumbest person on the internet.

Which is saying a lot!
You guys don’t know much about Iowa farmers or farmland (in Pops’ case, dude is a helmet-wearing level of stupid, so no surprise) Little to no government goes around making offers on farmland for conservation purposes. It is not uncommon, however, for farmers to offer their land to the county parkland or nature conservation. This has happened in two major notable examples near our family farm in Linn County. It’s 100% an attempt to discourage them from not selling to factory farms, who line the pockets of these GOP politicians.

You guys don’t know much about Iowa farmers or farmland (in Pops’ case, dude is a helmet-wearing level of stupid, so no surprise) Little to no government goes around making offers on farmland for conservation purposes. It is not uncommon, however, for farmers to offer their land to the county parkland or nature conservation. This has happened in two major notable examples near our family farm in Linn County. It’s 100% an attempt to discourage them from not selling to factory farms, who line the pockets of these GOP politicians.
Sassy is projecting again. Poor dumb fukk.

Little to no government goes around making offers on farmland for conservation purposes. It is not uncommon, however, for farmers to offer their land to the county parkland or nature conservation. This has happened in two major notable examples near our family farm in Linn County. It’s 100% an attempt to discourage them from not selling to factory farms, who line the pockets of these GOP politicians.

Explain again...I'm not completely clear what you mean and I'd like to understand before I respond.

Explain again...I'm not completely clear what you mean and I'd like to understand before I respond.
Sure. Many Iowa farmers, as they reach retirement, have grown children who have no interest in working the farm. Many do not want to see that land sold to just anyone. Some will flat out donate it, and some will offer it below market value to conservation groups or county officials. This is trying to artificially drive that price so low to discourage this and sell to these factory farms. You have to understand that the Iowa Farm Bureau basically have bought and paid for the Iowa GOP. They are essentially a lobbyist group for big agribusiness and factory farms, and will screw the family farmer in any way they can…

Sure. Many Iowa farmers, as they reach retirement, have grown children who have no interest in working the farm. Many do not want to see that land sold to just anyone. Some will flat out donate it, and some will offer it below market value to conservation groups or county officials. This is trying to artificially drive that price so low to discourage this and sell to these factory farms. You have to understand that the Iowa Farm Bureau basically have bought and paid for the Iowa GOP. They are essentially a lobbyist group for big agribusiness and factory farms, and will screw the family farmer in any way they can…

Two points...

1) You should be able to sell your own land to whomever you chose at whatever price is agreed upon.

2) Government should get out of the land business especially as it relates to preventing private industry/farmers from using said land to grow commerce.

Those two points are true and they are not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: roosterk
Two points...

1) You should be able to sell your own land to whomever you chose at whatever price is agreed upon.

2) Government should get out of the land business especially as it relates to preventing private industry/farmers from using said land to grow commerce.

Those two points are true and they are not mutually exclusive.
Not in Iowa. We have precious little public lands, and major environmental issues because of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT