ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the State

Dec 7, 2017
This was just released today.

Why in the world would the Iowa High School Athletic Association put a game at West Des Moines Valley between Albia and Woodwood Granger to go to state. Albia is at least and hour and half away when looking on mapquest compared to 30 minutes for WG. I mean common people.

Most substate and district finals games are located half way or close to half away.

Some one give me the explanation on that.

It is going to be in a larger gym, which means the Des Moines area, W-G being closer to DSM is going to have an advantage. If it was me I would of put it at Southeast Polk, which is still an advantage for W-G but much easier for Albia to get to.

It is going to be in a larger gym, which means the Des Moines area, W-G being closer to DSM is going to have an advantage. If it was me I would of put it at Southeast Polk, which is still an advantage for W-G but much easier for Albia to get to.
How bout put the site at Carlisle, Norwalk, Indianola. This would at least even the distance out a little bit.

Regina had to play Cascade in Monticello, which is about 5 miles from Cascade and an hour from Regina.

This was just released today.

Why in the world would the Iowa High School Athletic Association put a game at West Des Moines Valley between Albia and Woodwood Granger to go to state. Albia is at least and hour and half away when looking on mapquest compared to 30 minutes for WG. I mean common people.

Most substate and district finals games are located half way or close to half away.

Some one give me the explanation on that.

Heard the state tried 4 or 5 other sites first & they all said no.

We're talking about Woodward-Granger. It really doesn't matter, if you're so concerned about some kind of "home court advantage".

Stop this nonsense. Come on now.
I don't care its Valley or Dowling. If 99 percent of the substate finals are suppose to be similar distance away then do it the same for all teams.

There is nothing that says this, in most cases the state sets a location where the substate is and if you make it then you play where they tell you to. Sometimes they will move the game because there was an upset and the location no longer makes sense, but with WDSM being between Albia and Granger you won't see it.

There is nothing that says this, in most cases the state sets a location where the substate is and if you make it then you play where they tell you to. Sometimes they will move the game because there was an upset and the location no longer makes sense, but with WDSM being between Albia and Granger you won't see it.
Or if enough salty people raise a fuss to the State prior to the upcoming season (not during), then they will make sure certain teams don't have the possibility of playing in near-home or in-town locations...................just sayin.

Lots of stern "angry pageant mom" letters/emails were sent to the State by salty male adults for the example I'm thinking of........true story.

East has played Abe Lincoln at Iowa Western CC as the #1 seed for substate final. There's nothing between Sioux city and CB though. the Tyson Event Center has to be booked ahead of time to get the game there. You'd think the des Moines area would be full of places to play. All in all this is high school and it shouldn't effect the game, just inconvenient for travelers

Schools need to be willing to host, and lots of factors play into that. Is it worth the concession and gate % for WDM to host. the gym might be in use, the Auditorium might be in use, so the parking lot is full. IAHSAA does not control the the school.

Reactions: mylameusername
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT