QUARTERFINALS​

Eight-Player: Thursday, November 3
All other classes: Friday, November 4
All kickoffs at 7 p.m.

CLASS 5A

Pod A
Waukee Northwest (6-4) vs. Dowling Catholic, W.D.M. (9-1), at Williams Stadium
Pod B
Prairie, Cedar Rapids (7-3) at Southeast Polk (9-1)
Pod C
Johnston (7-3) at Ankeny (9-1)
Pod D
Valley, W.D.M. (6-4) at Cedar Falls (8-2)

CLASS 4A

Pod A
Indianola (7-3) at Xavier, Cedar Rapids (10-0)
Pod B
North Scott (8-2) at Waverly-Shell Rock (10-0)
Pod C
Glenwood (7-3) at Lewis Central (10-0)
Pod D
Carlisle (9-1) at Iowa City, Liberty (9-1)

CLASS 3A

Pod A
Nevada (8-2) at Harlan Community (9-1)
Pod B
Solon (8-2) at Mount Vernon (10-0)
Pod C
Independence (10-1) at Humboldt (9-1)
Pod D
North Polk (8-2) at ADM (9-1)

CLASS 2A

Pod A
West Lyon, Inwood (8-2) at Central Lyon/George-Little Rock (10-0)
Pod B
OABCIG (9-1) at Spirit Lake (10-0)
Pod C
Crestwood, Cresco (7-3) at Wahlert Catholic, Dubuque (8-2)
Pod D
Centerville (8-2) at Williamsburg (10-0)

CLASS 1A

Pod A
Western Christian, Hull (8-2) at West Sioux, Hawarden (9-1)
Pod B
MFL MarMac (9-1) at West Branch (10-0)
Pod C
Sigourney/Keota (8-2) at Van Meter (9-1)
Pod D
Pella Christian (9-1) at Underwood (10-0)

CLASS A

Pod A
Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn (8-2) at Woodbury Central (10-0)
Pod B
North Linn (9-1) at West Hancock (10-0)
Pod C
East Buchanan (9-1) at Grundy Center (10-0)
Pod D
AHSTW, Avoca (10-0) at Lynnville-Sully (10-0)

EIGHT-PLAYER

Pod A
Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayrshire (9-1) at St. Mary’s, Remsen (10-0)
Pod B
Fremont-Mills (8-2) at Lenox (10-0)
Pod C
Gladbrook-Reinbeck (9-1) at Newell-Fonda (9-1)
Pod D
Montezuma (9-2) at WACO, Wayland (11-0)

ROUND OF 16​

Friday, October 28
All kickoffs at 7 p.m.

CLASS 5A

Pod A
Dowling Catholic, W.D.M. 35, Davenport, West 0
Waukee Northwest 9, Cedar Rapids, Kennedy 0
Pod B
Southeast Polk 49, Ames 3
Prairie, Cedar Rapids 50, Linn-Mar, Marion 28
Pod C
Ankeny 17, Sioux City, East 0
Johnston 38, Iowa City, City High 31 (Overtime)
Pod D
Valley, W.D.M. 15, Pleasant Valley 10
Cedar Falls 14, Ankeny Centennial 10

CLASS 4A

Pod A
Xavier, Cedar Rapids 44, Cedar Rapids, Washington 7
Indianola 35, Bondurant-Farrar 13
Pod B
Waverly-Shell Rock 49, Fort Madison 7
North Scott 38, Epworth, Western Dubuque 15
Pod C
Lewis Central 57, LeMars 7
Glenwood 38, Spencer 26
Pod D
Iowa City, Liberty 24, Webster City 14
Carlisle 48, Newton 28

CLASS 3A

Pod A
Harlan Community 42, MOC-Floyd Valley 7
Nevada 10, Sioux Center 7
Pod B
Mount Vernon 23, Central DeWitt 9
Solon 42, West Delaware 18
Pod C
Humboldt 39, Hampton-Dumont/CAL 0
Independence 20, Benton Community 17
Pod D
ADM 56, Grinnell 0
North Polk 52, Creston 20

CLASS 2A

Pod A
Central Lyon/George-Little Rock 42, Clarinda 16
West Lyon, Inwood 43, Greene County 7
Pod B
OABCIG 34, Osage 22
Spirit Lake 43, Clear Lake 21
Pod C
Crestwood, Cresco 20, Waukon 18
Wahlert Catholic, Dubuque 21, West Marshall 14
Pod D
Centerville 28, Monticello 27
Williamsburg 63, Mid-Prairie, Wellman 7

CLASS 1A

Pod A
Western Christian, Hull 49, Aplington-Parkersburg 27
West Sioux, Hawarden 45, Kuemper Catholic, Carroll 7
Pod B
MFL MarMac 28, Dike-New Hartford 6
West Branch 27, Columbus Catholic, Waterloo 14
Pod C
Sigourney/Keota 20, Mediapolis 14 (Overtime)
Van Meter 42, Woodward-Granger 0
Pod D
Pella Christian 38, South Hamilton 30
Underwood 62, ACGC 14

CLASS A

Pod A
Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn 46, Hinton 27
Woodbury Central 48, Gehlen Catholic, LeMars 7
Pod B
North Linn 28, Newman Catholic, Mason City 14
West Hancock 16, Wapsie Valley 9
Pod C
East Buchanan 57, Alburnett 21
Grundy Center 41, Columbus Community 7
Pod D
AHSTW, Avoca 35, Southwest Valley 14
Lynnville-Sully 62, Mount Ayr 33

EIGHT-PLAYER

Pod A
St. Mary’s, Remsen 42, West Bend-Mallard 16
Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayrshire 28, West Harrison 12
Pod B
Lenox 34, CAM, Anita 14
Fremont-Mills 30, Southeast Warren 28
Pod C
Newell-Fonda 35, Don Bosco, Gilbertville 10
Gladbrook-Reinbeck 30, Turkey Valley 28
Pod D
Montezuma 60, Easton Valley 38
WACO, Wayland 48, Central City 12

Last edited:
any games from friday night surprise u......? i thought the indianola vs bondurant-farra was milding surprising...i watched there regular season game, and thought there was not a whole lot of difference betweem the 2 even the score did not indicate it.., but the score friday night sort of raised my eyebrows

Last edited:
In 5A same-old same-old; six of the eight teams left are from the Des Moines metro, and two of the four semifinal spots are guaranteed to central Iowa. It’s absolutely likely that the Dome teams are all from the Des Moines metro … I fully expect Southeast Polk to beat Prairie, and while Cedar Falls may have a slight chance, it’s still probably going to be Dowling/Ankeny/SE Polk/Valley in the semis.

In 4A the top seeds are looking good, although the Indianola-Xavier game could be intriguing. They’ve never played before, Indianola likes to throw it around, they’ve shown they can beat teams like Centennial and Glenwood and Bondurant-Farrar … I still think Xavier’s the favorite, but it might be an interesting game.

Liberty-Carlisle could be interesting, too. If the top seeds advance, we’d be looking at Liberty-Xavier and Lewis Central-WSR in the semis.

A couple of good matchups in 3A, I think - Mount Vernon/Solon and ADM/North Polk should both be good. I expect Harlan and Humboldt to easily advance, and Harlan’s gotta be the favorite to win it all.

Use to be a few teams from the davenport area in 5a that were very good, not sure what happen there. 5a, seems to be the same old over and over.....not sure why the demoines area pumps out the best?

4a xavier is very good, look for them to win by at least 2d over liberty.....lewis central lost fidone, not sure when , or if he will return.....hurts lewis central big time...though they still got a good team..titans could use fidone if they have rematch with xavier.

in 3a, adm beat north polk during regular season....they are a very slight favorite to do it again, adm has better rushing attack.....,mount veron vs solon, would not want to bet on it..very evenly matched teams

In 5A same-old same-old; six of the eight teams left are from the Des Moines metro, and two of the four semifinal spots are guaranteed to central Iowa. It’s absolutely likely that the Dome teams are all from the Des Moines metro … I fully expect Southeast Polk to beat Prairie, and while Cedar Falls may have a slight chance, it’s still probably going to be Dowling/Ankeny/SE Polk/Valley in the semis.
I’d agree with your 5A analysis and the East Coast has got to step up their game. That will only happen if their schedule toughens up….there’s an old saying, no competition, no progress.

Use to be a few teams from the davenport area in 5a that were very good, not sure what happen there.
Bettendorf was a perennial power for quite a few years, and for a while was an annual threat to win the championship - they played in 5 title game between 2000 and 2011, with two wins, and they won four other titles between 1987-92. As has been noted in other threads, housing/population/financial trends over there now favor the Pleasant Valley district over Bettendorf (they are right next to each other, the stadiums are almost within sight of each other). But when even an undefeated Pleasant Valley can’t win a home game against 14 seed Valley, well … that just shows the chasm between central Iowa and everywhere else.

I don’t recall any other Davenport teams having much success over the past 15 years - well, Assumption, but they’re in a smaller class. Both Davenport Central and West have multiple championships, but none since 1983.

I’d agree with your 5A analysis and the East Coast has got to step up their game. That will only happen if their schedule toughens up….there’s an old saying, no competition, no progress.

Prairie, Linn-Mar, and CR Jefferson all played Southeast Polk this year and last. Prairie and Linn-Mar played Pleasant Valley. CR Kennedy, on the other hand, didn’t play anybody in the preseason 5A top 10 (they did, however, end up with playoff teams Cedar Falls and Johnston on their schedule - and lost both games).

I‘m not sure how one might expect their schedules to get tougher - the state sets up the 5A “group” schedules, you’re naturally going to gravitate to nearby schools/traditional rivals, and how happy would Ankeny/Dowling/SE Polk be with loading up their schedule with eastern teams? I’m just not sure what the answer is.

Bettendorf was a perennial power for quite a few years, and for a while was an annual threat to win the championship - they played in 5 title game between 2000 and 2011, with two wins, and they won four other titles between 1987-92. As has been noted in other threads, housing/population/financial trends over there now favor the Pleasant Valley district over Bettendorf (they are right next to each other, the stadiums are almost within sight of each other). But when even an undefeated Pleasant Valley can’t win a home game against 14 seed Valley, well … that just shows the chasm between central Iowa and everywhere else.
Bett was in the semifinals 2013,14,15,17 & 18 but never closed the deal (got to wonder about coaching) the last three years have been lean.
I don’t recall any other Davenport teams having much success over the past 15 years - well, Assumption, but they’re in a smaller class. Both Davenport Central and West have multiple championships, but none since 1983.
The three Davenport public schools have been abysmal for quite some time in FB and don’t expect that to change. Although it was nice to see West have the season they did….even with the aid of a soft schedule.

I‘m not sure how one might expect their schedules to get tougher - the state sets up the 5A “group” schedules, you’re naturally going to gravitate to nearby schools/traditional rivals, and how happy would Ankeny/Dowling/SE Polk be with loading up their schedule with eastern teams? I’m just not sure what the answer is.
True, which has been the Achilles for the better teams in the East, not having four or five consistently high quality opponents (like the suburban DSM schools) in their locale and on their schedules to push them.

Reactions: ghost80
True, which has been the Achilles for the better teams in the East, not having four or five consistently high quality opponents (like the suburban DSM schools) in their locale and on their schedules to push them.
Yup.... you are what you eat.

Reactions: Reasoned

sorry......what i meant by the davenport area , was the general area, that included bettendorf....i should of said bettendorf at first, bettendort was a power in the past... i do remember

sorry......what i meant by the davenport area , was the general area, that included bettendorf....i should of said bettendorf at first, bettendort was a power in the past... i do remember
That makes sense and I’ve been told Bett has some talent in their underclasses coming up. Couple that with a probable easier schedule (due to their poor recent performances) and they unfortunately could find themselves in a similar position to PV the last two seasons, a fairly talented team with a consistently unchallenging schedule.

Prairie, Linn-Mar, and CR Jefferson all played Southeast Polk this year and last. Prairie and Linn-Mar played Pleasant Valley. CR Kennedy, on the other hand, didn’t play anybody in the preseason 5A top 10 (they did, however, end up with playoff teams Cedar Falls and Johnston on their schedule - and lost both games).

So the 5A semifinals shook out just the way it was forecasted to, all CIML. The gradual competitive decline of the East Coast (the West hasn’t been a factor) is now complete. Even though it was nice to see teams representing different geographic regions with the prior PO structure, this new format is superior in attempting to get the best 4 teams in the semifinals…..as it should. So those on the East side of the state had better do some off season soul searching and figure out how to be competitive again. The last state champion from outside of DSM was 2009.

So the 5A semifinals shook out just the way it was forecasted to, all CIML. The gradual competitive decline of the East Coast (the West hasn’t been a factor) is now complete. Even though it was nice to see teams representing different geographic regions with the prior PO structure, this new format is superior in attempting to get the best 4 teams in the semifinals…..as it should. So those on the East side of the state had better do some off season soul searching and figure out how to be competitive again. The last state champion from outside of DSM was 2009.
The days of Cedar Falls, Bettendorf or an Iowa City school winning a 5A title is a thing of the past?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT