ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Iowa HS Baseball Rankings released

HawkPT

Freshman
Dec 13, 2002
The Radio Iowa/IAHSBCA poll was released this morning: http://www.radioiowa.com/2017/05/22...n=Feed:+RadioIowaSports+(Radio+Iowa+»+Sports).

Any glaring omissions or teams over-valued?

I think CR Washington will be a good team in 4A. Probably better than Prairie, and maybe better than Jefferson. Western Dubuque has a chance to make some noise too.

I think Clear Lake & D-NH are probably over-valued in 2A, but we'll see. Pella Christian has 6 senior starters, a great junior, and a great sophomore. Since they play in the 3A/4A Little Hawkeye Conference, their record won't be eye-opening, but they'll be a very good 2A team come tournament time.

I actually think North Linn and Lisbon are both under-valued in 1A. Newman will be good again, but they have to replace a LOT of offense... something like 100+ RBIs from two guys.

Class 4A (2016 Record)
1. Dowling Catholic (30-11)
2. Iowa City West (35-7)
3. Johnston (29-11)
4. Des Moines Roosevelt (33-11)
5. Urbandale (29-11)
6. Cedar Falls (22-19)
7. Mason City (25-17)
8. Cedar Rapids Jefferson (28-12)
9. Lewis Central (32-6)
10. Cedar Rapids Prairie (38-6)

Class 3A (2016 Record)
1. Harlan (30-5)
2. Davenport Assumption (31-8)
3. Dubuque Wahlert (29-15)
4. Sioux City Heelan (27-16)
5. Pella (31-9)
6. Fairfield (27-8)
7. Oskaloosa (24-11)
8. Vinton-Shellsburg (25-17)
9. Sergeant Bluff-Luton (31-8)
10. Carlisle (33-7)

Class 2A (2016 Record)
1. Clear Lake (31-7)
2. Wilton (29-4)
3. Dyersville Beckman (24-18)
4. New Hampton (29-5)
5. Carroll Kuemper (26-12)|
6. Treynor (28-7)
7. Cascade (28-10)
8. Estherville-Lincoln Central (24-6)
9. Dike- New Hartford (30-4)
10. Iowa City Regina (22-17)

Class 1A (2016 Record)
1. Remsen St. Mary’s (33-5)
2. West Sioux (27-3)
3. Mason City Newman (33-5)
4. North Linn (34-10)
5. Highland (Riverside) (24-7)
6. Don Bosco (35-5)
7. Akron-Westfield (25-5)
8. Martensdale-St. Mary’s (28-13)
9. Lisbon (24-13)
10. Moravia (25-5)

Dowling, Johnston, Urbandale and Mason City are all in the same division this year, so they'll play each other 4 times each. That should be one heck of a division title race.

Lots of good arms in the CIML, especially that division. Who will be able to score runs?

Anyone have the scoop on Roosevelt? Unreliable sources say half their team is suspended multiple games.

Not sure Harlan will be number 1 at the end. lost their top pitcher, 1B and I heard that Tarney is not playing.

Not sure Harlan will be number 1 at the end. lost their top pitcher, 1B and I heard that Tarney is not playing.
If true, that means they've lost 44% of their RBIs, 40% of their IP, & 37% of their wins. That's a lot of production to replace.

Anyone have the scoop on Roosevelt? Unreliable sources say half their team is suspended multiple games.
The details of the game haven't been loaded to Quikstats yet, but Valley killed Roosevelt in both games of a doubleheader last night, which would indicate that Roosevelt may not have been at full strength. Who knows?

If true, that means they've lost 44% of their RBIs, 40% of their IP, & 37% of their wins. That's a lot of production to replace.

Wow, you are good! I didn't realize that would equate to those numbers. I think losing Juhl at first and Tarney catching is the biggest blow. At state Juhl was in my opinion the best 1B there and Tarney is the best defensive catcher I think I have ever seen. When you can't throw and be comfortable that somebody is there to block everything... The bad thing for Harlan at catcher and first is that both of them have been there for years so replacing them is going to probably be inexperienced at best.

The details of the game haven't been loaded to Quikstats yet, but Valley killed Roosevelt in both games of a doubleheader last night, which would indicate that Roosevelt may not have been at full strength. Who knows?

Unfortunately it turns out there were numerous (I heard eight) players suspended for violating the student conduct policy. That can't be good for a certain individual's draft stock value. I'm sure there were multiple scouts that planned on being in attendance. Hopefully that's not the case.

Reactions: HawkPT
Harlan keeps rolling. I've never seen them play, but wins against Kuemper (twice), St. Albert, & Heelan are all good wins, and it looks like they don't give up a bunch of runs.

Looking back at the preseason rankings, a few were overrated (as you'd expect). The following were ranked then but not now:

4A: Roosevelt, Urbandale, Cedar Falls, CR Jefferson, Lewis Central. (I still believe Cedar Falls will get to the state tournament).

3A: Dubuque Wahlert, Pella, Fairfield, Oskaloosa, Carlisle. (I still think four of these teams will get to the state tournament)

2A: Clear Lake, Carroll Kuemper, ELC (I still think ELC will make the state tournament)

1A: Remsen St. Mary's, Highland (Riverside), Moravia (25-5)

The following have outperformed expectations and are ranked now and were not then:

4A: IC High, Waukee, SE Polk, Ankeny Centennial, Indianola

3A: Saydel, Marion, Gilbert, Knoxville, North Polk

2A: Woodward-Granger, Van Meter, Forest City

1A: Akron-Westfield, Exira (EHK), AR-WE-VA (Westside), CB St. Albert.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT