ADVERTISEMENT

Prairie 34 Cedar Falls 21

franky1967

Varsity
Aug 9, 2006
Prairie was actually taking it to Cedar Falls, they looked really good offensively.

Cedar Falls "Bend but Don't Break Defense" had been figured out. It's been figured out for the last couple of years.

Dub Senior proved it, Prairie has. proved it. It does not make sense to give enough cushion to let the other team have a five yard head start on every play. Cedar Falls banks on the other teams turnovers or a dropped pass. You can't rely on that Happening.

The Quarterback position continues to haunt Cedar Falls. That is the one position they have always had great leadership and skill in.

Still Prairie played great and deserved to win. Quite Frankly, the game was not even close to what the score indicated

That’s somewhat surprising, how did Prairie handle the OL size differential, with speed?

CF moved the ball nearly at will on Prairie until they got into the redzone, where they failed to score 4 of the 6 times they entered it. Twice on turnovers, and twice on downs. Defense, like last year, is still a bit undersize, and they've really lacked a play maker since Jack Campbell graduated two years ago. Offensively, the biggest issue hasn't been so much QB as it has been receivers dropping passes left and right. They have over and over again tried to turn up field before securing the ball, and subsequently dropped it. Common thing for young players, I get it. But definitely something they need to work on. Because they are really killing Jacobson. The biggest mistake Jacobson made last night was throwing into traffic on their first offensive possession into the red zone. It hit his receiver at the same time he himself got hit by the Prairie defense, bounced around several times in the air, before Prairie finally picked it off. CF couldn't convert on 3rd and 4th and short many times last night, while Prairie often had 3rd and 4th and long, and unfailingly converted. They were playing 2 QB's last night....one more of a runner, and one more of a 3rd and long, 4th and long passer. And he would invariably run up to within a yard of the line of scrimmage like he was gonna run it, then chuck it to his receivers (usually his 6'7" 235 TE, a very nice weapon to have btw). And Prairie's receivers caught virtually every pass thrown their way.

That’s somewhat surprising, how did Prairie handle the OL size differential, with speed?
They didn't Cedar Falls Still rushed for about 250yds.

Prairies pass protection was awesome but that would be expected when you give a 10yd cushion to wrs. It appears easy for any team to complete a 5yd dump pass against Cedar Falls

CF had three years of great D-lines. 5 of them are playing some kind of college ball somewhere, undersized or not.Losing Bohnenkamp on the edge is a loss. Clements had a great year and was kind of overlooked and Weimer and Weichers played really solid.

Getting the new D line guys up to speed is essential for the next few weeks. Capri could wreak havoc once everything clicks. LBs- Mickey is really good and Barnett hits you.

Prairie is awful to prepare for and CF was due for one of those after a 26-game regular season win streak.

CF moved the ball nearly at will on Prairie until they got into the redzone, where they failed to score 4 of the 6 times they entered it. Twice on turnovers, and twice on downs. Defense, like last year, is still a bit undersize, and they've really lacked a play maker since Jack Campbell graduated two years ago. Offensively, the biggest issue hasn't been so much QB as it has been receivers dropping passes left and right. They have over and over again tried to turn up field before securing the ball, and subsequently dropped it. Common thing for young players, I get it. But definitely something they need to work on. Because they are really killing Jacobson. The biggest mistake Jacobson made last night was throwing into traffic on their first offensive possession into the red zone. It hit his receiver at the same time he himself got hit by the Prairie defense, bounced around several times in the air, before Prairie finally picked it off. CF couldn't convert on 3rd and 4th and short many times last night, while Prairie often had 3rd and 4th and long, and unfailingly converted. They were playing 2 QB's last night....one more of a runner, and one more of a 3rd and long, 4th and long passer. And he would invariably run up to within a yard of the line of scrimmage like he was gonna run it, then chuck it to his receivers (usually his 6'7" 235 TE, a very nice weapon to have btw). And Prairie's receivers caught virtually every pass thrown their way.
Reminded me of Collin Klein and K-State’s jump pass from back in the day

Sept. 18 scores- Dubuque Hempstead over Cedar Falls
Dubuque Senior 31, CR Washington 0
I watched the Hempstead/CF game. I thought Hempstead was the better team

I feel bad for the Cedar Falls kids they actually caught the winning touchdown pass on the last play of the game.

If you see the replay of it, you will wonder how that particular referee made the call of incomplete.

That was a terrible call. Just no excuse. CF should not have been in that situation. The defense looked much better, but what was going on with the offense?

I turned it off after Hempstead went up a touchdown waiting for quarter, so I missed that part.
Still seeing a lot of the same problems this week as last week with CF. They continue to have third down efficiency problems on both sides of the ball. CF continues to get third and manageable situations, and fail to get first downs offensively, while defensively, they are getting teams in third and long situations, and letting them out of jail, and are giving up huge chunks of yards on third and fourth down. Also, running QBs continue to give CF fits. Hempstead’s QB looked like a young Fran Tarkenton out there tonight.

Went back and watched it, and DAMN! You guys are absolutely right! CF got royally hosed on that call! I mean I get it, HS refs can’t be held to the same standard as college or pros, but that was obvious even in live action, and had TWO FEET IN BOUNDS!! WTF?! That was simply an unconscionable call at any level. Now I really do feel bad for those players. That’s at least two terrible calls that game that went against CF, along with the fumble on the opening series that CF recovered, which was wrongly called an incomplete pass (replay clearly showed it a backward pass by 2 yards).
But taking away that TD was just an egregiously horrible call. And the ref was literally right there and STILL blew that call! Smdh 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: franky1967
I don't need to really point it out, the problem on offense is the quartback position.

He is not really a leader and does not look comfortable playing the position.

The Linebackers play to far off the line of scrimmage to be really effective.

This is the best CF is going to get and doubtful they will even have a winning season

This team has too much talent to predict a losing season. The change in offensive coordinators has resulted in some different looks for CF. I’d like to see some more to the middle versus everything to the outside as far as the passing game goes. Your strength is your OLine. Why make the WRs have to make it work on the outside? The screen was the only play that worked well. Well, except for the horrible call in the end zone. That was a great pass and awesome catch...

Opposing LBs have no worries about short or mid passing game. DLine did much better last night, but contain is an issue.

The thing about this season is that you can get it all together for a 6-week run...🤔. Seeding matters, of course, but CF still has time to get much better.

Haven’t heard anything about Weiland and why he wasn’t in the second half.

CF has not lost three in a row since 1997
Those we're all one point losses and two of them were in overtime in 1997.

Cedar Falls won't get it together, they have almost their entire offense back and the QB struggles to move the team 10yrds.

I don't know about the play calling, looked like they were searching for anything that would work and gave up any hope of trying to use their offensive line.

I'm surprised the defense kept them in the game as long as they did. Just think if the Linebackers and DB were a little bit closer to the line of scrimmage to make actual plays.

This will be a disappointing team, because it lacks one skill position.

It's early now, but the QB will be the only thing coming back next year and they will absolutely get crushed when they have to play in the 'Success Model"

Hammering on a 16-17 year old kid and blaming him for the teams struggles on a public forum is a good look. They're 2-2 and aren't facing world beaters to finish out the year. Throwing away the year and acting like they can't improve themselves is asinine and I have 0 affiliation with Cedar Falls or 4A for that matter.

Hammering on a 16-17 year old kid and blaming him for the teams struggles on a public forum is a good look. They're 2-2 and aren't facing world beaters to finish out the year. Throwing away the year and acting like they can't improve themselves is asinine and I have 0 affiliation with Cedar Falls or 4A for that matter.
Maybe they should try another kid at QB that would be a better solution. .

It would be unfair to the rest of the team with the experience they have on offense and the QB not being one of them. To not try another kid.

The CF QB does not even look like he wants to be behind the Center and his lack of confidence and Athletic ability may get him hurt.

Maybe they should try another kid at QB that would be a better solution. .

It would be unfair to the rest of the team with the experience they have on offense and the QB not being one of them. To not try another kid.

The CF QB does not even look like he wants to be behind the Center and his lack of confidence and Athletic ability may get him hurt.

I don’t think the problem is QB. Up until the Hempstead game, CF had dropped A TON of catchable balls. Dropped passes actually accounted for most of his incomplete passes going into the Hempstead game. Jacobson actually throws a pretty ball. I’m more disappointed in the WR’s who have been there and not grown or developed.

As for the Hempstead game, I think the O-line wasn’t physical enough. And for as much as the Hempstead D was just pinning their ears back, there should have been more screens and draw plays called to slow down the blitz, and keep some of those defensive players out of the box. Hell, one of the few screen plays they ran went to Ostrich all the way to the house. So I think maybe play calling could have been a little better. Not a lot of adjustment, so that was a little disappointing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT