ADVERTISEMENT

Postseason Format

Aug 1, 2011
Should the playoffs be a 3 game series vs. single elimination tournament??
Single elimination until principal park, then a 3 game series??
Any ideas on if this could be done.

Not sure if logistically it could work, but I do like the idea. Tired of having one dominant pitcher carry a team all the way. Not a true measure of "team" in my opinion. Of course, maybe we just need to play games closer together so teams can't rely on one individual.

I think it's dumb how 4A does it. All 6 play first round then top seed gets a bye. They then play again being able to use the top pitcher. Why don't they give top 2 seeds a bye first round and have 3 play 6 and 4 play 5. Then the next round the top seed plays lower seed. This way top seed can't pitch both games and the top 2 seeds still have to play 2 games in a row to get to state with having to use a number 2 pitcher. Then we see what kind of TEAM they have.

Single elimination until principal park, then a 3 game series??
Any ideas on if this could be done.

Having just the championship game in each class converted to a best-of-3 would add two days to the current schedule (displacing the I-Cubs some more).

Having the entire 8-team per class "state" portion of the postseason as best-of-3 series would take over a month, if you do it all in one location.

I have an idea. The series thing makes no sense at all as you can’t drag it out that long for a lot of reasons, way too many games and teams playing different numbers of games. Silly idea. Simple solution is if you start a game you can’t pitch in the next. Simple as that.

Having just the championship game in each class converted to a best-of-3 would add two days to the current schedule (displacing the I-Cubs some more).

Having the entire 8-team per class "state" portion of the postseason as best-of-3 series would take over a month, if you do it all in one location.
I think a double elimination style format like the CWS could work.

It may even draw more interest to the tournament. I'm curious how attendance is at State these days.

The whole thing would have to be revamped. Which is what should happen. Each class should have it's own tournament at it's own location. Plenty of nice parks around the state to utilize. 1A teams this year had 5 and 6 day layoff between the first and second round?

The whole thing would have to be revamped. Which is what should happen. Each class should have it's own tournament at it's own location. Plenty of nice parks around the state to utilize. 1A teams this year had 5 and 6 day layoff between the first and second round?

Our district played on the 11th (1st game), the 13th (full district schedule), the 16th (District semi), 20th (District final). The Substate game was on the 23rd.

So they played the entire district tournament in 9 days. 1A district 11, 9 teams (Don Bosco's district). Then 2 days off before the Substate game.

With hs baseball already being played in the summer (entirely different argument), logistics with time of yr, players, parents, cost, size of state, dwindling resources, etc, etc, etc, anything other than the current format makes zero sense. I fully agree you have to put controls in place to save pitchers from their coaches. This has been proven time and again through history.

With hs baseball already being played in the summer (entirely different argument), logistics with time of yr, players, parents, cost, size of state, dwindling resources, etc, etc, etc, anything other than the current format makes zero sense. I fully agree you have to put controls in place to save pitchers from their coaches. This has been proven time and again through history.
Does anyone think that baseball in the state of Iowa nowadays could be a successful venture if it became another Spring sport?......

Does anyone think that baseball in the state of Iowa nowadays could be a successful venture if it became another Spring sport?......

I do not. Climate and number of available bodies are the two big factors working against it.

Some neighboring states with spring baseball have a limit of ~20 games, and they don't always get those in.

Moving baseball to the spring would make it the 5th spring sport, joining soccer, golf, tennis, and track. Spreading the numbers pretty thin at 1A/2A/small 3A schools.

However, I do think that both baseball and softball could have a week lopped off the end of their seasons without much consternation. So you have a 35-game max instead of a 40-game max. Big whoop. That extra week could serve as much-needed down time before rolling right into fall sport practices.

It is not difficult to get by with your #1, #2 and a reliever that gives you 25-40 pitches per game. Heck, you could get by with your #1 and #2 (each pitching 65 pitches - which typically covers a full game) until you get to the semi-final and final then you may have to introduce a 3rd pitcher. Personally I would like to see a structure that forces teams to expose their entire pitching staff, not just using half their staff. Would add a lot more strategy in as well. Seems like last year games were scheduled much closer together at least through districts.

Reactions: NI hawk
It is not difficult to get by with your #1, #2 and a reliever that gives you 25-40 pitches per game. Heck, you could get by with your #1 and #2 (each pitching 65 pitches - which typically covers a full game) until you get to the semi-final and final then you may have to introduce a 3rd pitcher. Personally I would like to see a structure that forces teams to expose their entire pitching staff, not just using half their staff. Would add a lot more strategy in as well. Seems like last year games were scheduled much closer together at least through districts.
65 pitches covering a full game? Huh? That’s no game I’ve ever seen. But if you are trying to get through the postseason with 1-2 pitchers like some of you are suggesting then I don’t feel the least bit sorry for you. It’s a team game and it isn’t meant to be controlled by a team with a dominant pitcher. If you can’t develop at least 3 starters and a couple kids you can count on in relief roles then you don’t deserve to be there...let alone win or advance. The old excuse “we won’t win unless so and so throws” simply means you aren’t doing your job and you should step aside.

65x2, that’s a 130 pitches per game which covers most games. And I agree, teams should have more than 1,2 or even three pitchers, but current playoff system favors those that have 1-2 dominate pitchers rather than a well developed pitching staff of say 5 pitchers.

65x2, that’s a 130 pitches per game which covers most games. And I agree, teams should have more than 1,2 or even three pitchers, but current playoff system favors those that have 1-2 dominate pitchers rather than a well developed pitching staff of say 5 pitchers.
I misread your post. My apologies. Yes. 130 generally covers a full game. Two starters generally gets you through the postseason with a reliever or two. I see nothing wrong with that part. In regards to the regular season, entirely different story

So, after hearing of the MLB game that will be played at the field of dreams site. I was thinking it would be cool if they could use that stadium to host the playoffs once before they take it down.

Just throwing it out there. I get ithat it's really far east for many schools on the west side of the state. But not much further east than the uni dome for football. And when will this opportunity be there again.

Reactions: Pinehawk
So, after hearing of the MLB game that will be played at the field of dreams site. I was thinking it would be cool if they could use that stadium to host the playoffs once before they take it down.

Just throwing it out there. I get ithat it's really far east for many schools on the west side of the state. But not much further east than the uni dome for football. And when will this opportunity be there again.
Way too far north. No hotels. No sense at all

It's a simple numbers game - if you are 1A you may have 1 ace and then a huge drop to your next level. Larger schools (even some larger 2A) will have 2 aces. If you have to use up your ace in game 1, then they have to sit for week between pitching.
Ok. So your point is what?

Huh? That it is harder for small schools due to limited "top" pitchers.
Develop more pitchers? I’m not sure what to tell you. If you want them to change the rules so you can go back to throwing one guys arm off like the old days (not long ago). No thanks. That’s moronic and doesn’t do anything for anyone. If anything, tighten the games up more so you have to throw your whole staff and make it even more of a team effort.

Reactions: Zowwy21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT