ADVERTISEMENT

Post Season

The only surprise I saw was Tipton close to WB, but Mepodawg had an explanation for that one, otherwise everybody finished according to seeding, except a few 5-4 matchups

I don’t think WB was missing anyone in that close game with Tipton.
I suspect Tipton made a concerted effort to slow Miller and it showed.

Reactions: rc1963
Miller does play, and score. But, Solon defeats West Branch 3-2.

Regina came out strong and lead 8-0 over Prince of Peace at the half.
Rested the starters in the 2nd half and the JV got some quality minutes. Final 8-4 Regals.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
And then the Regina soccer team gets kicked out of the Regina-WB baseball game by the umpire. They threw a baseball into right field while the WB fielder was trying to field a ball. Stay classy, Regina…

And then the Regina soccer team gets kicked out of the Regina-WB baseball game by the umpire. They threw a baseball into right field while the WB fielder was trying to field a ball. Stay classy, Regina…

I saw WB lost the 1st baseball game to Regina in extra innings. And, Regina Softball had a walk off win over West Branch as well. Tough night for WB fans.

Update: And, Regina completes the sweep of West Branch blowing them out in the nightcap 15-6.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m sure that was all part of the game plan....

Some interesting scores:
West Liberty needed 5 2nd half goals to defeat Clarke 6-4
Mid-Prairie and Albia go to PK’s, MP wins 1-0(3-1)
BND with a tougher game over Hillcrest this time, coming out on top 4-0, after leading 1-0 at half.
Bett 2-1 over Muscatine
North Fayette Valley 3-0 over Postville
Greene County over Van Meter 2-1

Last edited:
That Muscatine/Bettendorf match was really interesting. After being 0-0 most of the match, Muscatine took a 1-0 lead in the second half. In the 78th minute then fouled a Bett player in the box and yielded the 1-1 tie on the PK. They went through 2 scoreless OTs and went to the shootout, where Bett got the win.

Wahlert had to go to PKs to beat Assumption after a scoreless match.

It looks like Treynor had all they could handle with Riverside.

funny side note. on the Varsity Bound app, it lists the state qualifiers for most of the 1A brackets! Is there Something they know that we don’t?😀

Wrong sport, but too good not to share.

Well, fans are allowed back into games and look what happens.

Reactions: Pinehawk
So, the online tickets only situation is pretty annoying. I do think it is nice to offer the option to buy tickets online.
BUT, they need to offer in person sales as well. Grandmas and Grandpas, friends, students, etc. are just going to be showing up to the games like they used to. Not knowing tickets MUST be bought online.

And, then they have to be told to stand there and go online to buy tickets. Not a great option.
And, then the state adds $1.42 'processing fee' to each $8 ticket...

Reactions: Hwkfn1
So, the online tickets only situation is pretty annoying. I do think it is nice to offer the option to buy tickets online.
BUT, they need to offer in person sales as well. Grandmas and Grandpas, friends, students, etc. are just going to be showing up to the games like they used to. Not knowing tickets MUST be bought online.

And, then they have to be told to stand there and go online to buy tickets. Not a great option.
And, then the state adds $1.42 'processing fee' to each $8 ticket...
Yeah, sort of a circular problem, the information is disseminated online, so people not typically online, or who don't frequent the state's sites - don't know

Yeah, an 18% charge is pretty hefty, I'm sure it's going to the vendor, seems like a per transaction fee would be better, or build it into the price.

Yeah, sort of a circular problem, the information is disseminated online, so people not typically online, or who don't frequent the state's sites - don't know

Yeah, an 18% charge is pretty hefty, I'm sure it's going to the vendor, seems like a per transaction fee would be better, or build it into the price.
Both should be offered. It can’t be due to covid since they have someone there scanning the tickets. Just another way to nickel and dime people.

Seems like the big upset of the night was Waukee falling to Centennial. You go 18-0, in a dominant fashion, then get knocked off one game from state. Keeps things a little more interesting at state, Valley, Prairie, City and maybe PV have to be licking their chops, but it's a good reminder - on any given day, someone can step up and punch you in the nose.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Seems like the big upset of the night was Waukee falling to Centennial. You go 18-0, in a dominant fashion, then get knocked off one game from state. Keeps things a little more interesting at state, Valley, Prairie, City and maybe PV have to be licking their chops, but it's a good reminder - on any given day, someone can step up and punch you in the nose.
Prairie is peaking at the right time, and finally getting some goal-scoring. They play fantastic defense, which will always give you a shot. Ankeny Centennial is the one with all the mojo now though. They’re my favorite, with Prairie second best odds.

I wish the 1A brackets were spread out a bit better. Potentially all rematches on the top side of the bracket.
They put the two top remaining ranked teams on the same side of the bracket.

I wish the 1A brackets were spread out a bit better. Potentially all rematches on the top side of the bracket.
They put the two top remaining ranked teams on the same side of the bracket.
That's what happens when you use a rigid points system. But if you don't then you have people raising questions about how seeding was done. You could use rankings, but people have a problem with potential bias there. Substate goal diff would be another possibility, but a touch bracket for one qualifier vs a cake-walk bracket for another would be the issue. Plus it encourages running up scores, which isn't really a positive thing for the teams/players

Prairie is peaking at the right time, and finally getting some goal-scoring. They play fantastic defense, which will always give you a shot. Ankeny Centennial is the one with all the mojo now though. They’re my favorite, with Prairie second best odds.
Interesting...

Centennial certainly has been putting up some numbers (both offense and defense) in the last few weeks. I have concerns about them, 3 of their 4 losses were to tournament teams and the 4th was in a tournament. Maybe an every other day tournament favors them.
You can't argue against them, beating the previously unbeaten defending champs, certainly shows they are capable of beating anyone. I'm just not sure I put them in my favorites.

Interesting approach by Solon last night. They sat their normal keeper, who had played every minute of every game this season (1400+ minutes) and instead started their 2nd leading scorer in goal.
They seemed to pack the defense in and play for OT and pk’s. Which all worked relatively well.
Regina just delivered on their pk’s in the end. Solon had a pk go high and then Regina got a big save to seal the win.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT