ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Teams Dropping or Going up?

I really haven't heard of any, there are a few that would make sense like GMG, but the schools right now who play 11 man that could qualify most of them have 9-12 participation numbers in the 40s so 8 man really doesn't make sense.

Anyone have a clue on teams dropping down. Have heard that Riverside will stay up and not come down. Also stopped by the A football board and saw a Garrigan rumor of coming down.
I know Nashua was right on the edge last cycle, but it seams that may have been due to a couple small classes that are being replaced with larger classes. Not 100% sure.

IF the scholarship angle does not apply to DB, then it might be one of very few private schools that do not offer tuition assistance, scholariships, parents getting jobs, etc.

I can acknowledge that public schools do use open enrollment as a way to recruit, but the appeal of the private school is more than public schools by far and they have to recruit in general to get kids to attend their school system.

What I do not understand is how they absolutely reload every year with out a hiccup. NO, losing 2 games in a year is not a hiccup. There are absolutely no schools that size or any other size that have had that much success in 8 man. Perennial playoff programs from public schools do exist, but not ones that consistently get to the semis 88% of the time. No other public school can come close to that.

Fremont Mills, Audubon, TV, etc have been very consistent, but not at the current rate of DB, they also have about 30 more kids annually per their BEDs numbers. But by all means, keep your head in the sand while everyone else can see what is happening.
There have been dynastic runs since the 30s - most from public schools (W'loo East , Harlan, Anamosa, Ankeny, Solon, Elkader, Mount Pleasant, RS, Jefferson, WB, Bett, Emmetsburgh, and so on), so another swing and a miss on your part. Hasn't the side been about retired by now based on the amount of strikes you've had ?

Also, you do realize BEDs numbers are 9-11 and boscos number is 81 (ie ~27/class) so of course their number is going to be about 30 more than the BEDs for a given year.

Here's the thing with Bosco or other private schools. They have 27 per class, so, for arguments sake, let's say they have 14 boys in a class. All 14 boys play sports (which good for them!). But parents are not sending their boys to Bosco for marching band or show choir. They are sending them for sports (again, good for them). A public school may have a BEDs of 105 (35 per class), approximately 17 boys. Of those 17 boys, usually 5 or 6 are athletes. The rest are involved in other activities or have so many other issues in their life they have no interest in school activities. It really goes back to the argument that City High's coach introduced, which is classifying schools based on SES and not straight numbers.

Here's the thing with Bosco or other private schools. They have 27 per class, so, for arguments sake, let's say they have 14 boys in a class. All 14 boys play sports (which good for them!). But parents are not sending their boys to Bosco for marching band or show choir. They are sending them for sports (again, good for them). A public school may have a BEDs of 105 (35 per class), approximately 17 boys. Of those 17 boys, usually 5 or 6 are athletes. The rest are involved in other activities or have so many other issues in their life they have no interest in school activities. It really goes back to the argument that City High's coach introduced, which is classifying schools based on SES and not straight numbers.
The conservative Catholic families who prioritize faith & religion over PC'ness would love to discuss the motivation for sending their kids there with you.

The conservative Catholic families who prioritize faith & religion over PC'ness would love to discuss the motivation for sending their kids there with you.
Yeah, I'm sure that is the only motivation. Why so defensive about it? There is nothing wrong with admitting that your kids go to Bosco to win. My point is that they all play sports and go there to play sports whereas a public school has about 1/7 of their boys playing sports. And, please don't act like Catholics are some great moral people. The worst teams for sportsmanship that I have ever competed against are from the Catholic schools. If they truly cared about their "faith" they would not be classless.

Yeah, I'm sure that is the only motivation. Why so defensive about it? There is nothing wrong with admitting that your kids go to Bosco to win. My point is that they all play sports and go there to play sports whereas a public school has about 1/7 of their boys playing sports. And, please don't act like Catholics are some great moral people. The worst teams for sportsmanship that I have ever competed against are from the Catholic schools. If they truly cared about their "faith" they would not be classless.

Im not defensive, just trying to correct all of the fallacies and lies in this thread - its not my fault there is so many. For example, you just typed "they all play sports and go there to play sports". Me pointing out that is not true is not being defensive.

On another note - you seem to like numbers, but they appear to be pulled out of thin air, and you can't even stay consistent within your own made up figures. First, you said if a public school class has 17 boys, 5-6 will play sports - that is 32%. Then in your above post you say that number is 1/7 or 14%. If you want to be taken for anything more than a basement dwelling keyboard commando, you need to 1) Use factual numbers and 2) Be consistent in their use.

Reactions: DCAHawk
I'm not arguing/debating anything. Simply pointing out that kids go to Bosco to play sports.

Sorry, I switched from 5-6 boys (out of 17) to 5-6 boys out of a total class size of 35. I obviously didn't communicate that. So, while you are upset about my lack of communication, how come you never addressed the poor sportsmanship?

Sorry, I switched from 5-6 boys (out of 17) to 5-6 boys out of a total class size of 35. I obviously didn't communicate that. So, while you are upset about my lack of communication, how come you never addressed the poor sportsmanship?

Going from 14% to 32% is quite the jump and just shows that you are in fact making up numbers based on zero data.

As for poor sportsmanship, the dirtiest, most unclassy teams ive competed against have been public schools - See how baseless, dataless, anecdotal claims are completely irrelevant?

Lastly, im not upset about anything, but I will defend the people that put in the time, money, and effort against those that will try to diminish their accomplishments due to jealousy - especially when the claims they are using are completely fabricated and baseless.

There have been dynastic runs since the 30s - most from public schools (W'loo East , Harlan, Anamosa, Ankeny, Solon, Elkader, Mount Pleasant, RS, Jefferson, WB, Bett, Emmetsburgh, and so on), so another swing and a miss on your part. Hasn't the side been about retired by now based on the amount of strikes you've had ?

Also, you do realize BEDs numbers are 9-11 and boscos number is 81 (ie ~27/class) so of course their number is going to be about 30 more than the BEDs for a given year.

Look at Dowling Catholic and DB the last 8 years and tell me a more dominant program for that long of time period in the state. DB gets the kids they want, they found a way to win at the 8 man level, and in 5 years will probably have at least 3 more championship trophies. Please pick a public school you can say that about off the top of your head..... you cant.

DB has a huge advantage in 8 man football and what Public school has a dynastic run in 8 man football since in started in Iowa? One that is longer than DB? There is not one out there. Not one that has made the state Finals in 6 of their 8 years of existance in a program. No public school has done that. Open your eyes man.

Look at Dowling Catholic and DB the last 8 years and tell me a more dominant program for that long of time period in the state. DB gets the kids they want, they found a way to win at the 8 man level, and in 5 years will probably have at least 3 more championship trophies. Please pick a public school you can say that about off the top of your head..... you cant.

DB has a huge advantage in 8 man football and what Public school has a dynastic run in 8 man football since in started in Iowa? One that is longer than DB? There is not one out there. Not one that has made the state Finals in 6 of their 8 years of existance in a program. No public school has done that. Open your eyes man.

I put together a list of teams that have made runs - most of which were public schools. Not my problem if you can't read, comprehend, or simply choose to bury your head in the sand when facts that go against your narrative. Regardless, facts are there. Hyperbole, rumors, and lies are there from the jealous peanut gallery. Rational, unbiased observers know where to lean.

Last edited:
I put together a list of teams that have made runs - most of which were public schools. Not my problem if you can't read, comprehend, or simply choose to bury your head in the sand when facts that go against your narrative. Regardless, facts are there. Hyperbole, rumors, and lies are there from the jealous peanut gallery. Rational, unbiased observers know where to lean.

I read your list, but tell me in the last 8 years a public school team that has had the same success as DB, and Dowling. Also. Tell me of those teams listed who has won consistently for 8 straight years like both of those teams have that has been public. Not in Iowa, but there is a radio ad for Creighton Prep in Omaha going around that talks of financial aide options and invitations to come tour and how to sign up for the school. No public schools do this kind of thing. Again, private schools play by different set of rules.

I also asked about 8 man teams with runs longer than DB. Most teams that go to 8 man as they drop down are good for about 3-4 years and do tend to win a lot of games, but then the numbers catch up to them and they become only good and sometimes below average to really bad. But, the loophole is fitting for DB.

I read your list, but tell me in the last 8 years a public school team that has had the same success as DB, and Dowling. Also. Tell me of those teams listed who has won consistently for 8 straight years like both of those teams have that has been public. Not in Iowa, but there is a radio ad for Creighton Prep in Omaha going around that talks of financial aide options and invitations to come tour and how to sign up for the school. No public schools do this kind of thing. Again, private schools play by different set of rules.
How much do your kids pay to go to public school? Do they offer free or reduced lunch? So even if a private school offered a financial aid... how is this different than what your children have access to in the public school. So butt hurt that someone makes additional sacrifices for the success of their children.

How much do your kids pay to go to public school? Do they offer free or reduced lunch? So even if a private school offered a financial aid... how is this different than what your children have access to in the public school. So butt hurt that someone makes additional sacrifices for the success of their children.
No one is arguing that it is wrong to make extra sacrifices and do things better for your child. If sports aren't the reason for going to a private school then this isn't an issue. The playing field isn't level. Private schools have advantages in SES and controlled enrollment over public schools. The number of private school winning championships in not proportionate to the number of private schools in the state. Other states across the nation have a multiplier or private schools in their own class.

Yes there is free and reduced lunch for kids that cannot afford lunch or breakfast. Which is required by law. Not sure about the argument there. Not butt hurt at all. The system in Iowa is broke and in the 2010s and to the present, schools like DB, Dowling, and IC Regina have taken huge advantage of it, just in Football. NO public schools have done what they have done since classes of 4A- A have happened. Harlan has been good, but for about 3-4 year spirts, not 8 in a row. Try not to bury your head in the sand.

Yes there is free and reduced lunch for kids that cannot afford lunch or breakfast. Which is required by law. Not sure about the argument there. Not butt hurt at all. The system in Iowa is broke and in the 2010s and to the present, schools like DB, Dowling, and IC Regina have taken huge advantage of it, just in Football. NO public schools have done what they have done since classes of 4A- A have happened. Harlan has been good, but for about 3-4 year spirts, not 8 in a row. Try not to bury your head in the sand.
Those three schools you mentioned would have all still likely won championships with a multiplier. And i don't know about DB, but i don't know of any other private school trying to reduce enrollment. The whole concept of the school is to increase tuition revenue....i.e., enroll more kids

Those three schools you mentioned would have all still likely won championships with a multiplier. And i don't know about DB, but i don't know of any other private school trying to reduce enrollment. The whole concept of the school is to increase tuition revenue....i.e., enroll more kids

CalmHawk please enlighten me on which private schools limit or cap their enrollment? I want facts, in writing - not speculation, rumors, etc...This may be the most absurd statement that you have made during your entire diatribe about private schools. If DB was capping their enrollment they are doing a very poor job since they are about 40 students below the cutoff for 8-Man BEDS limit of 120, which means that they are about 55 students short in the 4 grades. I am guessing they would rather have 55+ students in school and play 11 man football. Do you realize how many tuition $ they are missing out if they are capping enrollment.- like $300,000+. Know your facts before posting

I also asked about 8 man teams with runs longer than DB. Most teams that go to 8 man as they drop down are good for about 3-4 years and do tend to win a lot of games, but then the numbers catch up to them and they become only good and sometimes below average to really bad. But, the loophole is fitting for DB.

You want to know why DB is so consistently good? I have a one word answer - WRESTLING. The majority of their studs are also wrestlers. Several coaches cross over between the 2 sports. Most of the successful smaller football schools are also have good wrestling teams.

Couple of things, I personally don't think that any parochial school caps its enrollment. But they can choose who they have and don't have in their school. Because of this they tend to have a higher quality in clientele, not necessarily the richest or smartest or even the best athletes, but kids who have parents that involved in their education. Do public schools have parents like this, absolutely, but public schools also have students who have parents who have involvement in their education or what they do in school. These students are much less likely to be involved in extra-curriculars.

This is noticeable across all sizes of schools, but the most noticeable at the small schools where participation is a must just to have a team. I think that this is why people have such a problem with Don Bosco. Yes they have an enrollment of around 85 for 10-12 which is aorund 40-45 boys. So probably 50-60 boys total in the high school. When you have 40 of those out for football that is a huge advantage when some schools are struggling to get 20 out even though their enrollment figures are similar.

Do I blame Don Bosco for this no, it isn't their fault, they play by the rules put into place.

Also you are correct about wrestling. When they first started football around 2004 or so until the current coaching staff they had terrible luck getting wrestlers to go out for football, once that changed the program really took off. It just so happens that it happened at the end of when they were playing in 11 man so everyone assumes that they only reason that they are good is because they went to 8 man.

Reactions: hawkeyes08
Couple of things, I personally don't think that any parochial school caps its enrollment. But they can choose who they have and don't have in their school. Because of this they tend to have a higher quality in clientele, not necessarily the richest or smartest or even the best athletes, but kids who have parents that involved in their education. Do public schools have parents like this, absolutely, but public schools also have students who have parents who have involvement in their education or what they do in school. These students are much less likely to be involved in extra-curriculars.

This is noticeable across all sizes of schools, but the most noticeable at the small schools where participation is a must just to have a team. I think that this is why people have such a problem with Don Bosco. Yes they have an enrollment of around 85 for 10-12 which is aorund 40-45 boys. So probably 50-60 boys total in the high school. When you have 40 of those out for football that is a huge advantage when some schools are struggling to get 20 out even though their enrollment figures are similar.

Do I blame Don Bosco for this no, it isn't their fault, they play by the rules put into place.

Also you are correct about wrestling. When they first started football around 2004 or so until the current coaching staff they had terrible luck getting wrestlers to go out for football, once that changed the program really took off. It just so happens that it happened at the end of when they were playing in 11 man so everyone assumes that they only reason that they are good is because they went to 8 man.

PNation, Good post.

Some private schools do have above average participation, I agree with your assessment. I also believe that success breeds success. You always have good numbers when you win. Keep in mind that not all sports at private schools are as successful as the FB & Wrestling teams at DB.

Nobody ever complains when the private schools are losing, the haters come out when they are winning. Just irritates me that this gets regurgitated every year with new rumors and fake stories that are just so unbelievably crazy, but in todays society everything that is on the internet is the gospel truth :)

That's not true - they had stud wrestlers on the team from the beginning.
On the contrary, football may have been the best thing to happen to the wrestling program. Traditionally Bosco wrestling has been a small kid team, rarely placing (or winning titles) in the upper weights. Everyone trying to shed as much weight as possible, no lifting program, poor nutrition, etc. Football comes in, has some success showing the value of lean mass, good diet, etc. Now youre seeing the younger guys fill out the lighter weights and upper classmen filling in (and winning) 160+ wieghts.

Last edited:
I really enjoy seeing no one acknowledging the facts I posted.

What PUBLIC 8 man team has had the kind of success in the state of Iowa that DB has had? Not one, and it is because of the way smaller schools go through cycles of good and bad classes of athletes. DB does not do that, and it is because they can pick the players they want.

SO DB does not do what other private schools do in offering scholarship programs or financial assistance. They also do not cap their enrollment.

But year in and year out they are consistently dominant in football, wrestling and now basketball is a sport they are very good at. and it is just the coaching right? Not the fact that kids move to the district to play a sport? SES, percentage of male athletes on teams compared to public participation..... I will hand it to them they are great at what they do, they just should not be playing 8 man because they are clearly the best program in the state since dropping down 8 years ago.

I really enjoy seeing no one acknowledging the facts I posted.

What PUBLIC 8 man team has had the kind of success in the state of Iowa that DB has had? Not one, and it is because of the way smaller schools go through cycles of good and bad classes of athletes. DB does not do that, and it is because they can pick the players they want.

SO DB does not do what other private schools do in offering scholarship programs or financial assistance. They also do not cap their enrollment.

But year in and year out they are consistently dominant in football, wrestling and now basketball is a sport they are very good at. and it is just the coaching right? Not the fact that kids move to the district to play a sport? SES, percentage of male athletes on teams compared to public participation..... I will hand it to them they are great at what they do, they just should not be playing 8 man because they are clearly the best program in the state since dropping down 8 years ago.
No one is answering your question because the asininity of it is off the charts.

You act as of Bosco hasn't been great at many sports since the '70s. Do some research, they've won titles in many sports, at different classifications for the past 40-50 years. As for football, awfully big coincidence they were terrible for 7 years, got a new coach who went to the playoffs in year 1, finals in year 2, and the rest is history. Coaches never establish a winning tradition in Iowa high School football do they? Go sit down young one.

No one is answering your question because the asininity of it is off the charts.

You act as of Bosco hasn't been great at many sports since the '70s. Do some research, they've won titles in many sports, at different classifications for the past 40-50 years. As for football, awfully big coincidence they were terrible for 7 years, got a new coach who went to the playoffs in year 1, finals in year 2, and the rest is history. Coaches never establish a winning tradition in Iowa high School football do they? Go sit down young one.

Coaches do establish tradition! But what coach has had this kind of success at the 8 man level in Iowa? No coach except for DB.

Good God the horse has been beaten hard enough by now, no? I appreciate keeping the forum active and alive during the offseason but man let's talk about something else. DB wins, they're parochial, people are mad about it, people are offended that people are mad about it. The cycle continues.

Relax everyone, the DB reign will be over next year. At least for a few years. I've seen what they have coming up, there is only a few dominate athletes left to compete against. Get better and beat them. They work hard for the success they have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT