ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Solon vs. Washington

It's easy to pick Solon because they have been a common football name for a few years now and Washington is a new name on the board this year. This is also the Demon's first trip to the dome since 1997.

Washington's defense is elite this year holding a super-charged Pella offense to no score and holding Williamsburg to only 10 points and Oskaloosa to 7 points.

This will be a good name, but don't discount a team just because they haven't been a "power" school for years and years. I think Washington can take Solon. I think they have faced heavier and stronger competition this year and they are "clicking" on all cylinders right now. They are hungry and the wolf climbing the hill is always hungrier then the wolf that is already sitting on the top.

I like the Demons in this game....

Solon will be lucky to score 14 let alone win by 14. I think Washington is better than most know. Their physical dominance on the line and toughness/speed combination of the backs is very underrated. Washington has made some very good teams look awful including Pella, Oskaloosa, and Williamsburg.

Originally posted by BIG10MANIAC:

It's easy to pick Solon because they have been a common football name for a few years now and Washington is a new name on the board this year. This is also the Demon's first trip to the dome since 1997.

Washington's defense is elite this year holding a super-charged Pella offense to no score and holding Williamsburg to only 10 points and Oskaloosa to 7 points.

This will be a good name, but don't discount a team just because they haven't been a "power" school for years and years. I think Washington can take Solon. I think they have faced heavier and stronger competition this year and they are "clicking" on all cylinders right now. They are hungry and the wolf climbing the hill is always hungrier then the wolf that is already sitting on the top.

I like the Demons in this game....
I agree and the key is what Washington has done on defense. The word I get from a source at Washington is this group of Washington Sr's has dominated their competition since they were kids and they are driven. The lone loss (14-7) this season to #2 Pella and turning around to beat them 28-0 last week is a prime example of this team's commitment to winning and improving. Driven.

I like to take something from a team's stats and what I can tell you after studying both of these teams:

Washington leads 3A in defensive assists (tackles, tackles for loss and assist sacks)
Solon has impressive rushing stats with 2 players over 1000 yards, but Washington still leads 3A in rushing yards.
Solon has impressive intereception stats, but it doesn't do them a lot of good w/ Washington running the ball.

This game should be won in the trenches, but there will always be that possibility of a huge special teams play (Washington's Coker has 3 Return TDs- 1 KOand 2 punt returns while Solon's Wymer has 2 TDs, 1 KO and 1 Punt). Solon has 3 TDs off INTs, but again you can't intercept a pass that isn't thrown.

But what's the tell-tale stat? They have 1 common regular season opponent: Mt. Pleasant.

Solon 45 MP 13
Washington 51 MP 7

Prediction=a good game, but Washington will pull away in the 2nd half :

Washington 28 Solon 14

The other thing I would mention about Washington is that there have only been 3 or 4 games all season that the starters have played past Halftime. Every other game had the starters on the bench (with the exception of a few) by the 3rd quarter.

In Washington's game against Mount Pleasant, they scored all 51 points before the half. Could have easily been 100-7 if they wanted it to be.

Same thing with Marion.... Most of the JV (backups) were in the game by the third quarter.

When we compare games that both teams have played, it is skewed because those games weren't played entirely by the first team players.

I'm not trying to split hairs. I think Solon has the weapons to defeat Washington if they play a perfect game but I also think Washington has the strength up front on their lines to have a great day at running and pounding the football. This really can go both ways. I think the winner is the team that creates the most turnovers. I will be at the game and I can't wait to watch this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT