ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Exira/Elk Horn-Kimballton vs. Don Bosco

I like EEHK to win in a fairly good game. I think the line play for both teams was the biggest difference in the Semi final games.

EEHK I see to be a very fundamentally sound team. They tackle extremely well and offensively they get on their blocks well. DB is very good obviously to make it this far but facing this EEHK team will be their toughest test. EEHK is not one dimensional like Adair was. Numbers 7, 14 and 34 give them several offensive weapons that run very hard and have the added dimension of the pass.

DB will only be as successful as #2 (Hogan) can take them. I see their other skill players to be a notch or two below Exira's. DB will be facing a much better defense, as in my opinion Adair's defense is extremely flawed by placing their entire defense within 4 to 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Once Hogan was able to break through, there was nothing between him and the end zone. Which is why that game got real ugly real fast. If Hogan can throw the ball efficiently I can see DB pulling off the win.

In the end I see EEHK game planning to stop Hogan (which will be difficult) and let the other skill players on DB to try and beat them.

Originally posted by farhawks:
I like EEHK to win in a fairly good game. I think the line play for both teams was the biggest difference in the Semi final games.

EEHK I see to be a very fundamentally sound team. They tackle extremely well and offensively they get on their blocks well. DB is very good obviously to make it this far but facing this EEHK team will be their toughest test. EEHK is not one dimensional like Adair was. Numbers 7, 14 and 34 give them several offensive weapons that run very hard and have the added dimension of the pass.

DB will only be as successful as #2 (Hogan) can take them. I see their other skill players to be a notch or two below Exira's. DB will be facing a much better defense, as in my opinion Adair's defense is extremely flawed by placing their entire defense within 4 to 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Once Hogan was able to break through, there was nothing between him and the end zone. Which is why that game got real ugly real fast. If Hogan can throw the ball efficiently I can see DB pulling off the win.

In the end I see EEHK game planning to stop Hogan (which will be difficult) and let the other skill players on DB to try and beat them.
Question for you, as you seem very familiar with exira: have they faced a team like DB yet? (Meaning a team who can run AND pass the ball as efficiently as them?) looking at stats, both teams run the ball first, but bosco does it slightly better. And both teams can throw it, but bosco does it considerably better. So the only question is; how does their level of competition compare?

Exira in a blow out. Don Bosco is to one dimensional. All they have is Hogan. You can't win title with just one player being the show. Exira is a 3 headed monster with Sander and the peppers bros. These kids are fast and play physical on defense. Exrias Defense shut done a potent Newel Fonda offense. Exira is a hard hitting defense who punishes. Hogan better be ready for a rough game. Exira 56-16

No way the score is that high. One thing Exira EHK does well is they make teams very one dimensional. They stop the run and force teams to throw the ball and when they do they have done a great job of forcing bad throws which is why they are second in the state in interceptions forced. If Don Bosco wants to win this game, they need to get the run game going early to open up play action passing and keep that Exira EHK defense off balance. If they manage to do that then it will be tough for any team to stop them, if they don't then it could be a long game for that offense against that very good defense.

People seem to forget bosco has shutdown two of the best offenses in the state the past two weeks. Not saying they're going to win, but exira could be in for a rough day moving the ball as well.

Some great points are being made. My only disagreement is that one player can't win the game. I think they can. The North Tama QB a few years ago (Boerm I believe) had like 400 yards of total offense and 6 TD in the championship game. 43-34 game so it's not what you would call a blow-out. Obviously, there are more guys out there on the field, but one guy can put them over the top. I am still picking EEHK to win, but DB has just as good of a shot.

All the comments on here about Bosco being one demensional are obviously being made by people who havent watched them play this year. Hogan is a great player, and has racked up some really good stats. But Bosco is in no way one dimensional, they have solid lineman on both sides of the ball, a really good group of tightend/receivers, and a runningback that can flat out fly in open feild. I'm picking Bosco to win in the second half of this game 42 to 32. Gonna be a grinder in the first half, but feel like Boscos speed, and conditioning will prevail in the second half.

I watched bosco in semis and all they have is hogan. They're a good team but if you take hogan away they're not at the dome. They are a one dimensional team but Hogans a 2 dimensional player who can run and pass. I think DBs defense is overrated. Sure they shut down Adair Casey but they were a one dimensional offense. Exira can run with 3 players and Peppers can throw the ball. I think Exira will contain Hogan like MMC did last year. I just think exira will be too fast and too physical. Plus I don't think DBs defense can stop exiras offense. Hogan is one hell of player and kid. I'd love to see him pull it off and get the title but unfortunately I don't see it happening

Originally posted by Whiteboy67:
I watched bosco in semis and all they have is hogan. They're a good team but if you take hogan away they're not at the dome. They are a one dimensional team but Hogans a 2 dimensional player who can run and pass. I think DBs defense is overrated. Sure they shut down Adair Casey but they were a one dimensional offense. Exira can run with 3 players and Peppers can throw the ball. I think Exira will contain Hogan like MMC did last year. I just think exira will be too fast and too physical. Plus I don't think DBs defense can stop exiras offense. Hogan is one hell of player and kid. I'd love to see him pull it off and get the title but unfortunately I don't see it happening
What team would be in the dome if you took away their best player?

Originally posted by Whiteboy67:
I feel like it would be springville.
No you misunderstood: if you take away any teams' best player, the odds of them making the dome is not very good, exira included. So you saying "if bosco didn't have hogan, they wouldn't be in the dome" is a meaningless statement.

also, bosco is far from one dimensional. They have a pair of fantastic receivers and outstanding lineman (both sides) to compliment their stud player. Am I saying they're better than Exira? Who knows, but luckily we'll get to see.

Valid points I guess well all see Thursday. If you take away exiras best player they still have 2 big time players to fill that hole if Hogans out who fills that giant hole for bosco? Hopefully were in for a treat Thursday with a heck of a game

Not a Bosco fan, actually I despise them (they beat my team). But fans that say they're one dimensional are delusional. Hogan is a very very good player: True. But they are solid at every position. Great smart athletes all around that play hard with a chip on their shoulder from last year. Very quality team. I haven't seen exira play besides the semi game but I hope its a great championship game. Good luck to both teams

Was very impressed by how much Don Bosco had improved defensively and on the offensive line from a year ago. Last year it was all Jake Hogan and nothing else period! This year though they have some very good players up front, especially #77. He played great in the semi's. Same goes for E-EHK, last year they had the Pepper bro's and were big and slow and weak every where else. This year they still have that size up front and are very physical and strong and surprisingly quick. Also, they have Sanders at RB, that kid doesn't go down by one hit. I would argue he is their best runner. You can definitely tell that both teams have had chips on their shoulders since last year. They have put alot of hard work in this off season and it has showed. Congrats to both teams on having great seasons. I think it will be a close game until mid 2nd half, thats when the size and physicality of E-EHK will start taking its toll on DB and they pull away late. E-EHK by 14+.

After reading things on other threads I feel like Bosco is in a no win situation with this game. They win and everyone and their brother will be using the "they are Catholic cheaters" excuse. They lose and the talk of how the western side of the state is all mighty and that much better than everyone else will again be brought up from someone.

Remember it's this "vocal minority". In reality most will be happy for DB regardless if they are a Catholic school or not. I believe this Catholic or Private school bias is only a few people that got beat by them and are all upset and feel like they have to have an excuse as to why their team lost. This really doesn't belong in this thread anyway.

EEKH and DB I believe are two evenly matched team and like I said from watching both teams I give the nod to EEKH due to having a few more weapons on offense. I think they will be able to spread it around enough to keep DB off balance and won't be able to key in on one guy. Hogan is an incredible football player and like I stated I wouldn't be surprised to see DB win if he can throw the ball effectively. He will really need to make some throws to soften up the EEKH defense.

This should be a great game. Both teams have very physical lines and the skill players each team has are among the best in the state. Don-Bosco has a little better of an offense, and i would give the defensive edge to EHK-Exira, they tackled very well against N-F.

In a (somewhat for 8 man) low scoring game, i'll take...

EHK-Exira 40
Don-Bosco 36

Saw them both play 1 game all year in the Semi's. Based on what I saw, I'm taking E/EHK 42-30. I think they have a better overall team.

Originally posted by high90school:
After reading things on other threads I feel like Bosco is in a no win situation with this game. They win and everyone and their brother will be using the "they are Catholic cheaters" excuse. They lose and the talk of how the western side of the state is all mighty and that much better than everyone else will again be brought up from someone.
Who would've thought you'd be that someone bringing up the West being better than the East.

This game to me is a toss up. Both teams had very impressive wins in the semis with DB beating a good Adair Casey and Exira EHK beating NF. I think this game will go down to the wire with Don Bosco winning 54-48.

I'm going with EH-K-Exira taking the title back to Southwest Iowa!! Don Bosco has a 1 man offense (Hogan), and the Spartans have a ton of weapons at their disposal. Also it wouldn't surprise me to see the Spartans stuff the run and bring the heat in passing situations. Spartans by 20+

I agree NF can attest to that losing 2 of their 3 best to game ending and hampering injuries. This made us one dimensional w only bohe to run. They loaded the box and he was still breaking big runs. Our penalties on big plays every drive put the offense behind the chains gave their offense more time to find the glaring weak spots in our D with two of the main players out sorry I'm still a little upset about the game if you can't tell. My point is this made them look much more dominant.Bosco on the other hand played a full strength team and scored continually effortlessly. If bosco can play a clean game turnover and penalty clean it will be close. I still think eehk is more balanced running but not passing. The only reason they threw on us was because we lost our best coverage players and had to play an inexpiernced sophs. The eehk QB is not accurate. 8 man is about the QB. Db has a better one. They will win I was much more impressed w bosco recievers

I'm not so sure those players would have made that much of a difference in that game as lopsided as the score was. Just admit that eehk came in with a great game plan and executed it better than what Newell Fonda did. The line play won it for the Spartans creating big holes and pushing the mustang line backwards when on defense. As far as officiating I thought it was actually a pretty well done game for once unlike a lot of games people see. Tomorrow's game should be great. Efficient offenses and great defenses. I hope it lives up to all the hype.

lol.. I'm sure they would have its 8 man that's 25% of the team more like 40% considering the positions they play.... But injuries happen... Just consider eehk playing bosco without the peppers boys.. Still a close game? Or bosco playing eehk losing Hogan And thier main reciever. Its gg from there. Greenbay with no Rogers? Losing your key players does make that much of an impact sure they still have other playmakers but the dynamic change it puts on a team especially in a high pressure situation like the teams first trip to the dome makes a difference--- Nevertheless the final two deserved and earned it and it sounds like it was a great game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT