ADVERTISEMENT

Point out on why referees call something or do not called sometimes

Feb 18, 2020
Traveling you are allowed one and a half step. 3 second only begins in the front court and restart on every shot. Now the toughest calls is blocking or charging foul. Hear how I call if the player moving back on the floor I will call it a blocking. I only call blocking foul if the elbow is bent or not seeing any light in between the body. If their light I don't call anything.

Now back to traveling a basketball player can only moved his pivot foot if he catches it with both feet on the floor or passing or shooting the ball only. I've seen to many referees call it when its not to be called.

The high schools athletic association have stuff they work on like for example the jump balls. You are seeing more in Iowa. I usually give them 3 second for the kids to get the ball before I call it a jump ball.

Now carrying or palming the ball. You don't see often but I go if his palm is on half of the ball your pinky finger can be a little over the half. You look at a basketball and cut it in half. As long as you can control the ball. I usually won't call it.

When I coach starts counting that's a no no for the referees official and when they get to Seven if the do it twice for me it's a T

Traveling you are allowed one and a half step. 3 second only begins in the front court and restart on every shot. Now the toughest calls is blocking or charging foul. Hear how I call if the player moving back on the floor I will call it a blocking. I only call blocking foul if the elbow is bent or not seeing any light in between the body. If their light I don't call anything.

Now back to traveling a basketball player can only moved his pivot foot if he catches it with both feet on the floor or passing or shooting the ball only. I've seen to many referees call it when its not to be called.

The high schools athletic association have stuff they work on like for example the jump balls. You are seeing more in Iowa. I usually give them 3 second for the kids to get the ball before I call it a jump ball.

Now carrying or palming the ball. You don't see often but I go if his palm is on half of the ball your pinky finger can be a little over the half. You look at a basketball and cut it in half. As long as you can control the ball. I usually won't call it.

When I coach starts counting that's a no no for the referees official and when they get to Seven if the do it twice for me it's a T

Everything in red is extremely questionable.
1. There is nothing in the rulebook about steps. Nothing. It is about the pivot foot. Once you pick your pivot foot up, you cannot put it back down again before releasing a pass or a shot. The official must identify the pivot foot in order to identify a traveling violation.

2. The NFHS rulebook says as long as the defender does not move toward the ball handler, he may move to maintain legal guarding position. This includes backwards, laterally, and obliquely. If he is moving backward and is displaced by the offensive player, that should not be a blocking foul.

3. The elbow bent/light comments make no sense and you will get toasted on an evaluation for that, whatever it means. Please don't ever use those terms if a coach asks you what you saw.

4. Already addressed your incorrect traveling analysis.

5. Your illegal dribble analysis (carrying) is confusing. An illegal dribble occurs when an official judges the dribble to have ended.

6. Held ball occurs when opponents have their hands firmly on the ball and control cannot be obtained without undue roughness or places his/her hands on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing or releasing the ball on a try. If you are waiting 3 seconds, you're waiting way too long.Get it early and avoid any issues.

7. You better take control of your game and end that counting long before he ever gets to 7. If he got to 3 with me, I'd tell him sternly to knock it off and if it happened again or he continued, he would be seated the rest of the game and we would shoot 2 technical free throws.

I would highly suggest you get into your rule book if you are actually an official because this makes officials look pretty bad.

1. There is nothing in the rulebook about steps. Nothing. It is about the pivot foot. Once you pick your pivot foot up, you cannot put it back down again before releasing a pass or a shot. The official must identify the pivot foot in order to identify a traveling violation.

You seem like a good person to ask this question but Their was a called at the Gilbert and bondurant game last night on tiger broadcast it's start 1:51:29 to 1:51:33. How can you make that call. You Clearly see the kid pass the half court line in the front court where the ball at. I believed bondurant made have won the game if it wasn't for that call their was a 1:03 left in the game.
2. The NFHS rulebook says as long as the defender does not move toward the ball handler, he may move to maintain legal guarding position. This includes backwards, laterally, and obliquely. If he is moving backward and is displaced by the offensive player, that should not be a blocking foul.

3. The elbow bent/light comments make no sense and you will get toasted on an evaluation for that, whatever it means. Please don't ever use those terms if a coach asks you what you saw.

5. Your illegal dribble analysis (carrying) is confusing. An illegal dribble occurs when an official judges the dribble to have ended.

6. Held ball occurs when opponents have their hands firmly on the ball and control cannot be obtained without undue roughness or places his/her hands on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing or releasing the ball on a try. If you are waiting 3 seconds, you're waiting way too long.Get it early and avoid any issues.

7. You better take control of your game and end that counting long before he ever gets to 7. If he got to 3 with me, I'd tell him sternly to knock it off and if it happened again or he continued, he would be seated the rest of the game and we would shoot 2 technical free throws.

I would highly suggest you get into your rule book if you are actually an official because this makes officials look pretty bad.

I think he was joking to be honest... and also people never seem to understand a gather dribble. Refs are actually taught in the NCAA and NBA to count steps once they START the gather as step 0, step 1 and step 2 occur once the the gather is completed and then they must be jumping or passing while taking there final step. This is why it appears like Giannis is traveling when doing his Euro Step but he really isn’t. Very confusing though so I can understand why high school refs do not get that right all the time. Although it does suck for some of the more skilled players because refs more often then not or going to call a travel on a euro step

I think he was joking to be honest... and also people never seem to understand a gather dribble. Refs are actually taught in the NCAA and NBA to count steps once they START the gather as step 0, step 1 and step 2 occur once the the gather is completed and then they must be jumping or passing while taking there final step. This is why it appears like Giannis is traveling when doing his Euro Step but he really isn’t. Very confusing though so I can understand why high school refs do not get that right all the time. Although it does suck for some of the more skilled players because refs more often then not or going to call a travel on a euro step

Again. The NFHS (high school governing body) rules say nothing about steps. The word steps literally does not appear in the rule book. It has nothing to do with a "zero step," with "one and a half," or "two steps." A player may not lift a pivot foot and return it to the floor before taking a shot or making a pass. When you understand how to identify a pivot foot, you can accurately make calls and/or understand why a traveling call was made.

A euro step is a travel if the player stops his dribble with his left foot on the ground, takes a step with the right foot, then jumps off the left. That is because the dribble ended with the left foot on the ground making the left foot the pivot foot. When the player steps, then jumps off that left foot, i.e. returns it to the floor, it is a travel. If the player takes a step after a dribble, stops the dribble (i.e. gathers the ball) while both feet are in the air, lands with his left, and jumps off his right, this is not a travel because the left foot was his pivot and it did not return to the floor before releasing a try for a basket. 9 times out of 10, high school players are not skilled enough to understand how to successfully complete a euro step without traveling and fans, players, and coaches don't understand the actual rule terminology. It's no different than people thinking a defender has to be "set" in order to draw a charge. They just do not know the rules.

Again. The NFHS (high school governing body) rules say nothing about steps. The word steps literally does not appear in the rule book. It has nothing to do with a "zero step," with "one and a half," or "two steps." A player may not lift a pivot foot and return it to the floor before taking a shot or making a pass. When you understand how to identify a pivot foot, you can accurately make calls and/or understand why a traveling call was made.

A euro step is a travel if the player stops his dribble with his left foot on the ground, takes a step with the right foot, then jumps off the left. That is because the dribble ended with the left foot on the ground making the left foot the pivot foot. When the player steps, then jumps off that left foot, i.e. returns it to the floor, it is a travel. If the player takes a step after a dribble, stops the dribble (i.e. gathers the ball) while both feet are in the air, lands with his left, and jumps off his right, this is not a travel because the left foot was his pivot and it did not return to the floor before releasing a try for a basket. 9 times out of 10, high school players are not skilled enough to understand how to successfully complete a euro step without traveling and fans, players, and coaches don't understand the actual rule terminology. It's no different than people thinking a defender has to be "set" in order to draw a charge. They just do not know the rules.
A euro step is one of the easiest basketball moves to perform. No offense, but your an Iowa high school referee. You are not wrong in saying when a player stops his dribble he may no longer lift his pivot foot (unless he’s going up for a LAYUP or passing which you completely failed to mention) Where referees are constantly wrong is they count the gather step as the first step. IT IS NOT THE FIRST STEP. And stop acting like referees don’t count steps. Your not above everyone else dude. Steps do not matter at all before you gather the ball, you could potentially take 100 baby steps in your gather dribble, then you are allowed to finish the play with the 1,2.
Here’s a link to a video with a college referee and a coach who knows what they are talking about

Last edited:
Reactions: NWIowaSioux
A euro step is one of the easiest basketball moves to perform. No offense, but your an Iowa high school referee. You are not wrong in saying when a player stops his dribble he may no longer lift his pivot foot (unless he’s going up for a LAYUP or passing which you completely failed to mention) Where referees are constantly wrong is they count the gather step as the first step. IT IS NOT THE FIRST STEP. And stop acting like referees don’t count steps. Your not above everyone else dude. Steps do not matter at all before you gather the ball, you could potentially take 100 baby steps in your gather dribble, then you are allowed to finish the play with the 1,2.
Here’s a link to a video with a college referee and a coach who knows what they are talking about
A erup step is NOT one of the easiest basketball moves to perform.

Kids struggle with a simple shuffle dribble into a spin to change directions (you see this move a lot in college and pro ball), and that is not as hard as the euro step.

First of all, you have to have the footwork to pull it off, along with the body control and balance to get a good shot off, and not be off-balance and out of control when trying to euro step around defenders for a shot.

Then of course, you also have to avoid making contact with a defender and picking up a charge.

It is not as easy as you think, just because you know some high school kids that are practicing it, and see it done at the highest levels of basketball...............just sayin.

"Well, uh....if coaches practiced it more-"

Yeah, there's a lot of things kids would be better at if coaches practiced it more.............

Reactions: CIML_Ref
A erup step is NOT one of the easiest basketball moves to perform.

Kids struggle with a simple shuffle dribble into a spin to change directions (you see this move a lot in college and pro ball), and that is not as hard as the euro step.

First of all, you have to have the footwork to pull it off, along with the body control and balance to get a good shot off, and not be off-balance and out of control when trying to euro step around defenders for a shot.

Then of course, you also have to avoid making contact with a defender and picking up a charge.

It is not as easy as you think, just because you know some high school kids that are practicing it, and see it done at the highest levels of basketball...............just sayin.

"Well, uh....if coaches practiced it more-"

Yeah, there's a lot of things kids would be better at if coaches practiced it more.............
You must not have been very good or your team must have not been very good if you think a Euro step is hard. Literally see it all the time in high school. Only problem is they are 90% of the time called for a travel

Reactions: Anonymous500
You must not have been very (Yes, yes, yes, "you were awful and your team was awful and your players were awful" blah blah blah. I know what you were going to say, but I let you say it anyway, because a small part of me held out hope you had something smarter to say.......unfortunate.) good or your team must have not been very good if you think a Euro step is hard. Literally see it all the time in high school. (I literally do not think you do.......I've seen a lot of teams this year. I can only think of a handful of individual players, if that, that actually tried a Euro step. Wasn't something they relied too heavily on either. I've seen both boys and girls. In fact, there were probably more girls than boys that used it.

It's quite literally not as big as you think it is, and there's a reason for that.)
Only problem is they are 90% of the time called for a travel (Is it because you are watching small school conference ball with officials who are lucky to get to ref 1A basketball?........;)

All joking aside though, but I haven't seen a single Euro step called a travel in quite some time. It's been a few years, actually, and again, I see a ton of basketball every year. Just sayin....)
Btw, I played at a time when the Euro step wasn't even a thought at the high school level. No team we faced had a kid that used it either. None. And some went on to State.

I also didn't bother learning it once it became a fad because by the time it was I had already developed knee issues. So meh....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT