Pods

Sep 21, 2020
Predictions for each???

POD #1
Westwood, Sloan at South O’Brien Akron-Westfield at Ridge View

POD #2
MMCRU at Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn Gehlen Catholic, LeMars at Alta-Aurelia

POD #3
Manson Northwest Webster at West Hancock, Britt Madrid at St. Edmond, Fort Dodge

POD #4
Grundy Center BYE BCLUW, Conrad at Ogden

POD#5
Saint Ansgar BYE
North Union at West Fork, Sheffield

POD #6
Nashua-Plainfield at South Winneshiek, Calmar Bishop Garrigan, Algona at Lake Mills

POD #7
Starmont at Wapsie Valley, Fairbank North Butler at Newman Catholic, Mason City

POD #8
Edgewood-Colesburg BYE
North Linn, Troy Mills at Clayton Ridge, Guttenberg

POD #9
Postville at MFL MarMac
East Buchanan, Winthrop at Bellevue

POD #10
North Cedar, Stanwood at Lisbon Maquoketa Valley, Delhi at North Tama, Traer

POD #11
Lynnville-Sully at Belle Plaine Highland, Riverside at Alburnett

POD #12
Regina, Iowa City BYE Columbus Community at Wapello

POD#13
Wayne, Corydon at Earlham Nodaway Valley at North Mahaska, New Sharon

POD #14
Sidney at St. Albert, Council Bluffs
West Monona, Onawa at Woodbury Central, Moville

POD #15
Tri-Center, Neola at Lawton-Bronson AHSTW, Avoca at Riverside, Oakland

POD #16
Logan-Magnolia BYE IKM-Manning at Southwest Valley

In pod 5.

West Fork played step for step with St. Ansgar for nearly the entire first half in district play before St. Ansgar pulled away in the 2nd half. West Fork also throttled Newman in district play, granted Newman was without their qb in that game, That could make for an interesting match up if West Fork gets past North Union, but expect St. Ansgar to get through with little resistance.

Iron Doc thinks the Fearsome Eagle Beasts will advance out of their pod.
One game at a time.

Predictions for each???

POD #1
Westwood, Sloan at South O’Brien Akron-Westfield at Ridge View

POD #2
MMCRU at Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn Gehlen Catholic, LeMars at Alta-Aurelia

POD #3
Manson Northwest Webster at West Hancock, Britt Madrid at St. Edmond, Fort Dodge

POD #4
Grundy Center BYE BCLUW, Conrad at Ogden

POD#5
Saint Ansgar BYE
North Union at West Fork, Sheffield

POD #6
Nashua-Plainfield at South Winneshiek, Calmar Bishop Garrigan, Algona at Lake Mills

POD #7
Starmont at Wapsie Valley, Fairbank North Butler at Newman Catholic, Mason City

POD #8
Edgewood-Colesburg BYE
North Linn, Troy Mills at Clayton Ridge, Guttenberg

POD #9
Postville at MFL MarMac
East Buchanan, Winthrop at Bellevue

POD #10
North Cedar, Stanwood at Lisbon Maquoketa Valley, Delhi at North Tama, Traer

POD #11
Lynnville-Sully at Belle Plaine Highland, Riverside at Alburnett

POD #12
Regina, Iowa City BYE Columbus Community at Wapello

POD#13
Wayne, Corydon at Earlham Nodaway Valley at North Mahaska, New Sharon

POD #14
Sidney at St. Albert, Council Bluffs
West Monona, Onawa at Woodbury Central, Moville

POD #15
Tri-Center, Neola at Lawton-Bronson AHSTW, Avoca at Riverside, Oakland

POD #16
Logan-Magnolia BYE IKM-Manning at Southwest Valley
Pods 6,7, and 9

All have interesting second round matchups. SW vs Lake Mills could be a very good game. Wapsie vs Newman could be interesting if Wapsie still has injuries to their team. MFL vs probably Bellevue might be the least interesting but still could be a very close game.

Pod #15. TC parent here. We got a pretty good draw. I think we can beat Lawton Bronson on the road. We beat them on their home field last year. No same opponents to compare. LB lost to Woodbury Central. WC only beat IKMM 14-0, Tc beat IKMM 42-7. Should be a good game. TC coming off an off week due to AHSTW cancelling. We get back our LB and WR who had been out. I also love the rematch possibility in Rd 2 with Riverside. TC was up 22-5 with 30 seconds left in the first half. Got greedy and threw on 1st down. Pick 6. Riverside took that momentum and won the game. The coaches and players would love to have that game back.

In regards to St. Ansgar, I just have a hard time believing that a team that averages about 4 passes per game has the balance to compete with the top teams.
I could be wrong however, we will see.

In regards to St. Ansgar, I just have a hard time believing that a team that averages about 4 passes per game has the balance to compete with the top teams.
I could be wrong however, we will see.
It can be done. The Beasts averaged 3.1 passes/game last year enroute to 13-0. Don't want to overdo the aerial attack.

That's not good football in my opinion. I suppose it can work at the Class A level, maybe Class 1A.
But, it would never work against bigger or better teams.

Over the past 10 years St. Ansgar has a combined record of 92-17 including the playoffs. Making that an 84.4% winning percentage. For only averaging 4.7 passes a game this season I’d say that speaks for itself.
Here are some points of the past 3 seasons:
2020- 1st place in class A through 7 games in rushing yards. 3rd in class A with 28 rushing touchdowns. 7-0 record, district champs, and have a first-round bye in the playoffs.
2019- 2nd place in Class A and 2nd place between all classes in rushing yards. Also, led the entire state with rushing touchdowns. 11-1 record, district camps, and semi-finalist.
2018- 8th place in Class A in rushing yards. 6-3 record and district runner-up.

When is the last pro or college football game you watched where they only passed 4 times?
It's a gimmick that can work in a small high school. But, it is not the way football was meant to be played, in my opinion.

I actually follow pro and college football pretty closely. I do agree with you that it wouldn't work very well in larger classes, but with how much success St. Ansgar has sustained from the run game in the past 10 years between Class 1A and Class A, it works perfectly for them.

When is the last pro or college football game you watched where they only passed 4 times?
It's a gimmick that can work in a small high school. But, it is not the way football was meant to be played, in my opinion.
For what it's worth (Buffalo Springfield, c.1967), Woody Hayes said there were 3 things that can happen with a forward pass and 2 of them are bad. Just saying.

That's not good football in my opinion. I suppose it can work at the Class A level, maybe Class 1A.
But, it would never work against bigger or better teams.
I think you're smart enough to understand why that kind of football is commonplace at the lower classes, and not at the larger schools with better selection for athletes.......................just sayin.

West Hancock doesn't expect to be playing in 3A against bigger and better competition any time soon, therefore there's no rush to change their offense.

Now Iowa City Regina on the other hand..............

I don’t believe these schools don’t have kids who can pass and catch the ball effectively.
It’s an old school coaching philosophy that holds them back.

Being a receiver at some of these schools is like getting stuck in right field for little league

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Your argument has some serious flaws. If you have better athletes it doesn't matter what offense you run. The point of football is to score more points than the other guys. You don't get more points by throwing it in. It's just merely different philosophies. I'm not even arguing that never passing is the right call. I actually think defending a mixed approach team is much harder than a 1 dimensional team. But if my opponent can't stop the run, why would I do anything else? I'm going to do it til you stop it. That's just good coaching. And to say running the ball all game is a gimmick is actually a pretty comical choice of words coming from a Regina guy. How about running double reverse flea flicker passes? or Option HB Passes? or fake double reverse passes? Those are gimmicks. And Regina does something to that effect every game. A heavy dose of run like the Wing T, Wishbone, Flexbone, are styles of offense. And the more teams go away from them, the more it works because it's becoming different from the norm.

The biggest problem with your argument is, at small schools, the chances of having a QB who can accurately and consistently throw passes to the correct read is not a guarantee every year. Take away the Cook boys and Regina is in a similar boat. Historically, pass heavy teams do not fair well year in and year out at the small schools. Run dominant teams tend to have less up and down swings over the long term. It's easier to find a running back and pulling guard than it is a QB at some schools.

As far as an NFL team, look at the Titans last year and the Seahawks over the last few. Run heavy teams who dominate the time of possession and wear down defenses. I get that they still pass a lot, but I would imagine that Derrick Henry or Lamar Jackson in a run only offense like W. Hancock, St. Ansgar, or even Madrid from the early 2000s would win games at the top levels of football. Heck, Tim Tebow did nothing but win games when he ran option football with the Denver Broncos years ago. Florida large school state champs are regularly run heavy teams like Lakeland. It all comes down to what kind of athletes you have and what style of offense they can excel at. Put your athletes in position to be successful.

It helps to have the athletes that Regina does. Kolie would be a stud on any team. Shoot, he'd probably be a 2000 yard rusher at W Hancock! And there's not a school in A, 1A, 2A, maybe even 3A that has a WR like Wick! That dude makes catches that no one else would make in small school high school football. And every coach in class A would take those two massive offensive tackles to run behind! There's a reason these guys are getting looked at for D1 football... They're exceptional athletes, which makes any offense look good. Not all schools have that pool of talent and especially not in the same class. We'll see how Regina does after this year when they don't have the skill kids to pass the way they have been able to in the Cook QB era. The JV didn't look too promising this year. Maybe you'll just have to run it behind those enormous linemen...

Your argument has some serious flaws. If you have better athletes it doesn't matter what offense you run. The point of football is to score more points than the other guys. You don't get more points by throwing it in. It's just merely different philosophies. I'm not even arguing that never passing is the right call. I actually think defending a mixed approach team is much harder than a 1 dimensional team. But if my opponent can't stop the run, why would I do anything else? I'm going to do it til you stop it. That's just good coaching. And to say running the ball all game is a gimmick is actually a pretty comical choice of words coming from a Regina guy. How about running double reverse flea flicker passes? or Option HB Passes? or fake double reverse passes? Those are gimmicks. And Regina does something to that effect every game. A heavy dose of run like the Wing T, Wishbone, Flexbone, are styles of offense. And the more teams go away from them, the more it works because it's becoming different from the norm.

The biggest problem with your argument is, at small schools, the chances of having a QB who can accurately and consistently throw passes to the correct read is not a guarantee every year. Take away the Cook boys and Regina is in a similar boat. Historically, pass heavy teams do not fair well year in and year out at the small schools. Run dominant teams tend to have less up and down swings over the long term. It's easier to find a running back and pulling guard than it is a QB at some schools.

As far as an NFL team, look at the Titans last year and the Seahawks over the last few. Run heavy teams who dominate the time of possession and wear down defenses. I get that they still pass a lot, but I would imagine that Derrick Henry or Lamar Jackson in a run only offense like W. Hancock, St. Ansgar, or even Madrid from the early 2000s would win games at the top levels of football. Heck, Tim Tebow did nothing but win games when he ran option football with the Denver Broncos years ago. Florida large school state champs are regularly run heavy teams like Lakeland. It all comes down to what kind of athletes you have and what style of offense they can excel at. Put your athletes in position to be successful.

It helps to have the athletes that Regina does. Kolie would be a stud on any team. Shoot, he'd probably be a 2000 yard rusher at W Hancock! And there's not a school in A, 1A, 2A, maybe even 3A that has a WR like Wick! That dude makes catches that no one else would make in small school high school football. And every coach in class A would take those two massive offensive tackles to run behind! There's a reason these guys are getting looked at for D1 football... They're exceptional athletes, which makes any offense look good. Not all schools have that pool of talent and especially not in the same class. We'll see how Regina does after this year when they don't have the skill kids to pass the way they have been able to in the Cook QB era. The JV didn't look too promising this year. Maybe you'll just have to run it behind those enormous linemen...
Got eem. :cool:

No need to make it personal. I was discussing the general philosophy of playing styles.
Teams that pass just a couple times a game don’t usually win a Championship.
Regina does have some amazing athletes this year. Most any team following this one will look like a drop off. But, I’ve seen some incorrect JV score reports on here, that I haven’t bothered to correct. But, yes, might be down a little bit over the next couple seasons.
But, you’ll be happy to hear that the 8th grade team went 6-0 and the 7th grade team 5-1, while playing bigger schools like West Branch and West Liberty. And, they actually can pass the ball too.

Jack Verducci, Mark Ward, Nate Streb, Nathan Stenger, and Michael Conlin would beg to differ regarding your "Cook QB era" comment. Four of them were all state QBs and the other led them to a championship. The Cook Boys narrative is lame and a huge misperception.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Class A is Regina and Grundy Center, then teams like LoMa, EdCo, St. Ansgar, MFL, South Winn, Wapsie, and West Hancock all have an argument that they could be a dome team.

I think you need to be able to do both. Eventually you will run into a team that can slow the run down. You can’t decide to start throwing it then, it’s too late. As far as the gimmicks go those plays end up on tape and opponents have to take practice time preparing for it. So for 5 minutes of practice and one play in a game every other team spends time preparing for it

I think you need to be able to do both. Eventually you will run into a team that can slow the run down. You can’t decide to start throwing it then, it’s too late. As far as the gimmicks go those plays end up on tape and opponents have to take practice time preparing for it. So for 5 minutes of practice and one play in a game every other team spends time preparing for it
I agree with you that it would be nice to be able to do both. I'm not arguing for run only teams as being the ideal. My only point is that at small school football, you use what you have. Small schools are limited by the gene pool available within the district. A good coach won't force a philosophy just because he likes to watch it on Sundays. He'll do what fits his players and that they can execute effectively. Of course if a coach has a pure passer, he's going to utilize that skill more than in other years. You've seen it with Regina too. Only Conlon and the Cook brothers have averaged more than 15 passes a game (Ashton averaged over 28/gm last yr). Verducci & Streb didn't even average 9 passes a game their SR years. Regina has gone to more of a passing attack when the Cook boys were QB because they're excellent passers. That was my point. They're utilizing the talent they have.

But my point about small school football still remains. In the Verducci, Ward, Streb, Stenger, and Conlon days, Regina wasn't a class A football team! And even in their 1A days, they weren't a normal 1A team. Class A schools average 30-40 players on a team in good years. That limits the talent pool you can choose from. A 2A school has 2x the students in the high school as a Class A school. Under 160 vs mid 300s. It's purely a numbers issue.

It wasn't personal Pinehawk, just pushing back a little on your opinion. I just use stats to back mine and knew you were a Regal fan.

I agree with you that it would be nice to be able to do both. I'm not arguing for run only teams as being the ideal. My only point is that at small school football, you use what you have. Small schools are limited by the gene pool available within the district. A good coach won't force a philosophy just because he likes to watch it on Sundays. He'll do what fits his players and that they can execute effectively. Of course if a coach has a pure passer, he's going to utilize that skill more than in other years. You've seen it with Regina too. Only Conlon and the Cook brothers have averaged more than 15 passes a game (Ashton averaged over 28/gm last yr). Verducci & Streb didn't even average 9 passes a game their SR years. Regina has gone to more of a passing attack when the Cook boys were QB because they're excellent passers. That was my point. They're utilizing the talent they have.

But my point about small school football still remains. In the Verducci, Ward, Streb, Stenger, and Conlon days, Regina wasn't a class A football team! And even in their 1A days, they weren't a normal 1A team. Class A schools average 30-40 players on a team in good years. That limits the talent pool you can choose from. A 2A school has 2x the students in the high school as a Class A school. Under 160 vs mid 300s. It's purely a numbers issue.

It wasn't personal Pinehawk, just pushing back a little on your opinion. I just use stats to back mine and knew you were a Regal fan.
I give you facts and you disregard them. All good. Regina's glory days are over. Coaching, strength and conditioning, film, open enrollment, etc have all caught up. They will always be good but not dominant like they used to be.

They will be competitive moving forward. Next few years will be interesting. They have a couple of really really small classes. If they can survive next year, they will be good good to go. Thing about their teams that is under appreciated is the line play. That 2016 team with the Brinkman and Reis kid carried an otherwise very untalented team to the title game.

So looking at next year, that line returns and most of them will be three year starters. Also, don't judge them by the JV scores... they run the Varsity offense which is pretty complex, resulting in a lot of turnovers and bad results. If I was a betting man I wouldn't sleep on Regina for the next 6 years.

Btw... you'll be able to spin a Hinkel boys narrative in about a few years.

They started the transition with Ward, when the varsity was starting to be filled with kids who had started in the youth programs with that style. Now it’s the style that all the kids have grown up with. You modify the system to the kids. Some of these programs preach run, run, run from youth on up and that’s what the kids know. There wasn’t much need to throw in the Verducci/Streb years but did average about 20 yards a completion and had one interception in 238 attempts. Selective but effective.

They started the transition with Ward, when the varsity was starting to be filled with kids who had started in the youth programs with that style. Now it’s the style that all the kids have grown up with. You modify the system to the kids. Some of these programs preach run, run, run from youth on up and that’s what the kids know. There wasn’t much need to throw in the Verducci/Streb years but did average about 20 yards a completion and had one interception in 238 attempts. Selective but effective.
Perfect examples of the fascination with run first, run only are SK and ACGC. Both are semi productive in the regular season but get stuffed against good teams.

Last edited:
No need to make it personal. I was discussing the general philosophy of playing styles.
Teams that pass just a couple times a game don’t usually win a Championship.
Regina does have some amazing athletes this year. Most any team following this one will look like a drop off. But, I’ve seen some incorrect JV score reports on here, that I haven’t bothered to correct. But, yes, might be down a little bit over the next couple seasons.
But, you’ll be happy to hear that the 8th grade team went 6-0 and the 7th grade team 5-1, while playing bigger schools like West Branch and West Liberty. And, they actually can pass the ball too.
So move up to 2A then.

Jack Verducci, Mark Ward, Nate Streb, Nathan Stenger, and Michael Conlin would beg to differ regarding your "Cook QB era" comment. Four of them were all state QBs and the other led them to a championship. The Cook Boys narrative is lame and a huge misperception.
I just don't think he wanted to take the time to list all those names (or look them up).

And yes....it's because nobody likes Regina.

I also like how Cid and Pine are acting shocked at how offenses in small classes operate as opposed to what they're used to seeing when Regina has played all these bigger schools for years and years.

Like wtf did you expect when you drop down to classes you don't belong in........😆

Perfect examples of the fascination with run first, run only are SK and ACGC. Both are semi productive in the regular season but get stuffed against good teams. Btw... hearing people at ACGC are hating Mathison or whatever his name is.
I have good friends who live in the ACGC district that say the exact opposite. The kids love Coach Matthewson to the point where they have bought in to his strength and conditioning program at record numbers of both boys and girls. Even fundraised for a massive weight room building project that should be finished this year. They told me that he is finally bringing some pride back into the program that has been miserably down for over a decade dating back since Coach Meier left. Being a Madrid grad he installed the wishbone when he took over, but from my sources, the kids love it.

My question would be... what about the pass first teams who get stuffed against good teams in the postseason? How does that fit in to your narrative? In the end it all comes down to the Willy's and the Joe's, not the X's and the O's.

I also like how Cid and Pine are acting shocked at how offenses in small classes operate as opposed to what they're used to seeing when Regina has played all these bigger schools for years and years.

Like wtf did you expect when you drop down to classes you don't belong in........😆

Your green eyes are burning bright tonight. Chuckling how you take anything I posted and get ‘shocked’

Your green eyes are burning bright tonight. (They don't look green to me.....

maxresdefault.jpg
)

Chuckling how you take anything I posted and get ‘shocked’
Well, I don't need to troll as hard to catch you on the hook. Pine, on the other hand, has embraced the dark side, and doesn't try to act as a defender of the morally righteous when he knows that's not what he's truly defending........ :cool:

Oh and one more thing, before I take my leave. It's not that I want what you have (I don't)..............it's just bad for business. That's all. ;)

Well, I don't need to troll as hard to catch you on the hook. Pine, on the other hand, has embraced the dark side, and doesn't try to act as a defender of the morally righteous when he knows that's not what he's truly defending........ :cool:

Oh and one more thing, before I take my leave. It's not that I want what you have (I don't)..............it's just bad for business. That's all. ;)
Luke should pay Pine and C
Luke should pay Pine and CID for driving traffic to this place. Regina and transfers are the only convo that keeps this place alive.

Evil, who do you root for (or suffer for)? Curious, as I enjoy your posts. My kids played for Xavier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT