ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs

Jun 7, 2015
Can we truly say the best four teams made it to Cedar Falls this year? The state has to do something different. How can you look at those 8 Player scores yesterday and say, "Yeah, we did our job this year to provide the best possible display of the states talent." Yesterday's games are the reason that 8 Player football gets a bad name (nothing against Midland and Fremont-Mills, they did what they had to do to get there).

They play on Friday nights now, so no need to keep everyone close to home. Seed it and get on with a true playoff to get your best teams there.

I should say that I feel the "right" two teams are playing for the title, no question. And it should be a very exciting game, plenty of playmakers on both sides. But, yesterday certainly was an embarrassment for the group of suits in Boone.

It's 8 man football guys. Who ever wins next week will likely win by 30 + points. It's the nature of the game.

What we saw yesterday wasn't just a by product of 8 man football. There were 2 teams in the dome that weren't anywhere near the quality of the top of the class. There are several teams around that would make it much closer than what we saw.

RSM had 3 district games that were within one score going into the 4th quarter. That game yesterday was never in doubt. Bosco continually feasting on the Eastern teams on their paved path to the finals is getting boring. The Eastern teams are really bad for whatever reason; not sure the state should be worried about getting 2 teams from the East each year until one of them finally steps up and proves themselves.

Bosco basically has two outcomes at this point because of you western Iowa boners. Option 1: Bosco wins and they should move up a class. Option 2: Bosco loses and they wouldn't even make it out of the first round in the western side of the state.

The western side of the state is so pathetic when it comes to most sports, but you have 8 man football to cling to. Even that is fairly skewed because you dominated before anyone in the east even knew what 8 man was.

I've watched teams from out west advance almost their entire team to state in wrestling while teams in the east leave kids at home that could place. Only to see western teams have almost everyone go 0-2. The western side of the state cheapens the meaning of "state qualifier" in wrestling so have fun with you little niche that you have in 8 man football that bosco is doing a pretty good job of exposing as we speak.

Bosco basically has two outcomes at this point because of you western Iowa boners. Option 1: Bosco wins and they should move up a class. Option 2: Bosco loses and they wouldn't even make it out of the first round in the western side of the state.

The western side of the state is so pathetic when it comes to most sports, but you have 8 man football to cling to. Even that is fairly skewed because you dominated before anyone in the east even knew what 8 man was.

I've watched teams from out west advance almost their entire team to state in wrestling while teams in the east leave kids at home that could place. Only to see western teams have almost everyone go 0-2. The western side of the state cheapens the meaning of "state qualifier" in wrestling so have fun with you little niche that you have in 8 man football that bosco is doing a pretty good job of exposing as we speak.
Easy big fella. Nobody is saying anything bad about Bosco. They can't control where they are located. They have deserved the respect of the state for what they have going. My point was simply that the best four teams didn't play yesterday. And one of those was from the west, mind you. So take your anger to the mat and work it out on a double leg or something.

And my point is you western dorks just dismiss whoever bosco works on their side as a team that wouldn't even qualify for the playoffs in the west. Maybe that Smith kid from Midland would have ran all over the West side semifinal loser these last two years. You can't just copy and paste the transitive property in 8 man.

Heck that year Newell Fonda came to Gville and won was a crazy turn of events for bosco to lose. Bosco was up 2 scores and on NF's 3ish yard line. If bosco scored it put the game away with around 5 minutes left. Bosco fumbled the snap and NF mounted an awesome comeback. Newell Fonda deserves all the credit in the world for winning that game, but at the same time we were 1 bad snap away from basically ending the only "east side is easy" arguments u guys had.

I'll probably ruffle a few feathers but I graduated from Bosco, quite a few years ago. After watching them play for the last 4-5 seasons, although it has been exciting to see them win and put up huge numbers on the score board, it gets exhausting a quite boring after awhile. Attendance at home games have been at a. All time low the past few season simply because well, what's the point Boscos going to win.

I have nothing but love for my Don's, but I firmly believe they should consider stepping up to class A and compete.

And my point is you western dorks just dismiss whoever bosco works on their side as a team that wouldn't even qualify for the playoffs in the west. Maybe that Smith kid from Midland would have ran all over the West side semifinal loser these last two years. You can't just copy and paste the transitive property in 8 man.

Heck that year Newell Fonda came to Gville and won was a crazy turn of events for bosco to lose. Bosco was up 2 scores and on NF's 3ish yard line. If bosco scored it put the game away with around 5 minutes left. Bosco fumbled the snap and NF mounted an awesome comeback. Newell Fonda deserves all the credit in the world for winning that game, but at the same time we were 1 bad snap away from basically ending the only "east side is easy" arguments u guys had.

And that was a Western team that lost 3 games on the year. Again...doesn't really help your argument when a 7-3 team from the west is the ONLY team to ever win on your field.

Reactions: Snapback40
I'll probably ruffle a few feathers but I graduated from Bosco, quite a few years ago. After watching them play for the last 4-5 seasons, although it has been exciting to see them win and put up huge numbers on the score board, it gets exhausting a quite boring after awhile. Attendance at home games have been at a. All time low the past few season simply because well, what's the point Boscos going to win.

I have nothing but love for my Don's, but I firmly believe they should consider stepping up to class A and compete.
I can imagine it does get a bit boring. But people can't go around resenting Bosco for what they have done and continue to do. They can only play the games that are on their schedule. It's not their fault that the Bosco staff is the only group that understands what it takes to win consistently. To me this isn't about Bosco, they are not the problem; they are good for 8 Player football. They provide tradition and a relentless way of playing the game. The rest of the east side just has to get better. Until then, we can't settle for "that's just 8 man". To hell with that, get the "best" four teams there and put on a show. One that doesn't require running clock.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDS0202 and K3814
I can imagine it does get a bit boring. But people can't go around resenting Bosco for what they have done and continue to do. They can only play the games that are on their schedule. It's not their fault that the Bosco staff is the only group that understands what it takes to win consistently. To me this isn't about Bosco, they are not the problem; they are good for 8 Player football. They provide tradition and a relentless way of playing the game. The rest of the east side just has to get better. Until then, we can't settle for "that's just 8 man". To hell with that, get the "best" four teams there and put on a show. One that doesn't require running clock.

Very well stated deeds. A couple of years ago, the girls union ended up with MOC vs. Unity Christian in the state finals. Two schools about 5 blocks from each other. No way the boys in Boone would allow that to happen. They'd have played first round.

Since all games are on Fridays now, the state shouldn't be worried about travel. They might have to even look into playing at some neutral sites or something, but those 2 games yesterday were bad football. It looked like a District Champ vs. bottom of the district game, and that's not good for the game when we're talking about the state semi-finals.

And what happens if Bosco beats RSM to the same degree they've been winning all year. Who knows if that will happen but if it did it sure would take a lot of wind out of a lot of people's arguments. I think this conversation although entertaining needs to wait for the conclusion of the playoffs.

And that was a Western team that lost 3 games on the year. Again...doesn't really help your argument when a 7-3 team from the west is the ONLY team to ever win on your field.

Nice try. Newell Fonda won state that year and if I recall correctly they had a mix of injuries and had a ton new starters since they graduated so much the year before. So the level they played at for the end of the year and postseason was on another planet from those first 3 games. You made this comment acting like NF got beat by 200 in the semis after beating bosco. I'll say it again, they were the state champs that year! At least you tried.

And what happens if Bosco beats RSM to the same degree they've been winning all year. Who knows if that will happen but if it did it sure would take a lot of wind out of a lot of people's arguments. I think this conversation although entertaining needs to wait for the conclusion of the playoffs.

This isn't the point, as nobody in this thread has taken anything away from Bosco. They've been damn good...they've beat teams from the west. In the Dome, they've beaten N-F, Exira, HLP. They gotten 2 state titles and a chance for a 3rd.

However, they're the only team from the Eastern side of the state that has ever competed with a western team. The rest of the east is bad year after year, and yet the state continually splits teams up to get 2 from the east and 2 from the west.

Reactions: deeds8116
Maybe it's time for the state boys to schedule some non-district neutral site games between east and west teams. With the restructuring of the districts maybe it would be a way to make non-district play a bigger factor and put to rest all this what if talk.

This isn't the point, as nobody in this thread has taken anything away from Bosco. They've been damn good...they've beat teams from the west. In the Dome, they've beaten N-F, Exira, HLP. They gotten 2 state titles and a chance for a 3rd.

However, they're the only team from the Eastern side of the state that has ever competed with a western team. The rest of the east is bad year after year, and yet the state continually splits teams up to get 2 from the east and 2 from the west.

First of all Don Bosco doesn't compete, they dominate. Because they live in the east that makes all the other teams look as though they can't compete because, for now, the road to the dome goes through Bosco. Midland for example has had Bosco on their schedule for the last 4 years and has seen them twice the last two with the playoffs. Bosco is a team that actually hurts you to play them twice. Mistakes made the first time are not repeated the second. The true disparety is Bosco's shear talent across all positions compared to everyone else.

I like the idea of scheduling a neutral site between east and west. I wasn't trying to take anything away from the Dons by any means, I suppose we will just see how the next few years shake out who knows some no name team in the east very well could Shock everyone, was very surprised to see Tripoli start to turn the program around this year.

First off I am from the West and my oldest son played 8 man back in the2000/01 seasons so I know something about the 8 man game. I have read all the reply's so far and the one take away is that no one is truly hating on Don Bosco. I am not going to be any different. They have truly proved themselves of playing a great brand of 8 man football. What is truly sad is the status of the other 8 man teams in the eastern part of Iowa. They stink. At some point these teams should at least become somewhat competitive against the Don Bosco's but they just don't. Why is that? To the boys in Boone...when are you going to wake up and join the 21st Century? If Nebraska can seed teams and have them make a 5/6 hour road trip to play a game then surely Iowa can do the same. You would like to think they could at least try to get the 4 best teams in the semi's. Oh excuse me..this is Iowa...we need 2 from the West and 2 from the East...what a joke. At least the IGHSAU "gets it" and they attempt to get the best teams statewide to state tournaments regardless of where they might be located.

Reactions: JDS0202
First off I am from the West and my oldest son played 8 man back in the2000/01 seasons so I know something about the 8 man game. I have read all the reply's so far and the one take away is that no one is truly hating on Don Bosco. I am not going to be any different. They have truly proved themselves of playing a great brand of 8 man football. What is truly sad is the status of the other 8 man teams in the eastern part of Iowa. They stink. At some point these teams should at least become somewhat competitive against the Don Bosco's but they just don't. Why is that? To the boys in Boone...when are you going to wake up and join the 21st Century? If Nebraska can seed teams and have them make a 5/6 hour road trip to play a game then surely Iowa can do the same. You would like to think they could at least try to get the 4 best teams in the semi's. Oh excuse me..this is Iowa...we need 2 from the West and 2 from the East...what a joke. At least the IGHSAU "gets it" and they attempt to get the best teams statewide to state tournaments regardless of where they might be located.

I'm an old timer on Rivals who almost never logs in anymore but I really follow the IHSAA playoffs and went to the semis last Friday. And I am also a very devoted Brewers fan and have to ask if brewcrewman1 is too?

Nobody was competitive with Bosco this year so your theory doesn't hold up. How can you accurately seed the teams from the east and west if they never play each other before the playoffs?

Lenmaster all that says is they should be in a higher class. If they are so deep with talent then they should no problem in a higher class right?

i
Maybe it's time for the state boys to schedule some non-district neutral site games between east and west teams. With the restructuring of the districts maybe it would be a way to make non-district play a bigger factor and put to rest all this what if talk.

I wonder if they will take coaches suggestion for teams you'd like to play in 8-player this year, like they do for other classes. I think the more non-district games can help the good team schedule more good teams and similar for the lower level teams. More competitive games for the lower level I think will help with participation numbers.

I know I'd rather drive an extra hour to see a good game vs a running clock game even if my team is winning.

I don't think we need to go to neutral sites, only have to make the drive once in 2 years.

Lenmaster all that says is they should be in a higher class. If they are so deep with talent then they should no problem in a higher class right?

What it says is the right 2 teams were in the finals and everyone else was an even match up more or less. Bosco has BEDS of something like 85. Unless their hand is forced I am confident they are content to stay right where they are.

What it says is the right 2 teams were in the finals and everyone else was an even match up more or less. Bosco has BEDS of something like 85. Unless their hand is forced I am confident they are content to stay right where they are.

Well that's debatable to say that Remsen was the 2nd best team. They had ALOT of breaks in there district. Anyways Bosco can "recruit" who they want to play for them and keep that number under the required amount and that's BS IMO. They have enough kids to go up a class. So i think they should be forced to go up or Iowa has to have a separate class for Private schools.

Well that's debatable to say that Remsen was the 2nd best team. They had ALOT of breaks in there district. Anyways Bosco can "recruit" who they want to play for them and keep that number under the required amount and that's BS IMO. They have enough kids to go up a class. So i think they should be forced to go up or Iowa has to have a separate class for Private schools.

Here come the post season cry babies

Pretty sure Remsen St Mary is private. Why don't you complain about them making the championship? They had a few guys not on their team last year. Pretty sure DB's roster looks the same as last year.

Reactions: Snapback40
History wasn't kind to Bosco when they played "A" ball. I see them sticking with 8-man.

"8-Man" Ball - 73-4 record with 6 playoff appearances in 6 seasons - 3 state championships.
"A" Ball - 19-28 record with one playoff appearance in 5 seasons.

The main reason Bosco has continued to be this good is their coaching. They have bar none the best coaching staff in 8 man and it is not even close from what I've seen.

i know Remsen is a private school and i still think all private school should be in a separate class. I don't think Remsen is the 2nd best team in 8 man. Like i said they got breaks in district play. They play in the hardest district hands down. Also you gotta look at location of the schools Bosco is just outside Cedar Falls so they have a larger talent pool to select from other than Remsen which is located in NW iowa. I don't know the numbers but i would say the ratio of kids is 2:1 at least in favor of Bosco. I cant hold that against them but if they have 30-45 kids out for 8-man football maybe they should go up a class????

Name one football player who was recruited.

You made a claim that Bosco recruits. So the point were missing is Bosco picks and chooses who is accepted into the school and allowed to play football. Thats called recruiting. (Deeeerrp) So go ahead, like Moose_31 said, name one....no really its fine ill wait.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT