ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs Round 1 Prediction & Discussion

high90school

Freshman
Sep 17, 2012
And so that time of the year has fallen upon us. Hopefully the next 3-4 weeks are as exciting for you as they are for me. This week and the rest of the weeks till the championship is decided, I have added and extra "bold pick" of the week that you all can join in on and have some fun with. With that being said lets waste no more time and get things started.

Central Elkader (6-4) at Don Bosco (9-0)
Northwood-Kensett (6-3) at Lansing Kee (6-3)

Tripoli (4-5) at Springville (9-0)
Easton Valley (5-3) at Janesville (8-1)

Grandview Park Baptist (3-6) at Victor H-L-V (8-2)

Corydon Wayne (6-3) at Murray (8-2)

Meskwaki Settlement School (5-4) at Adair-Casey (9-0)

Lamoni (8-2) at Twin Cedars (9-1)

Northeast Hamilton (6-3) at Marcus-Meriden-Cleghorn (8-1)

Remsen-Union (5-4) at West Bend-Mallard (9-1)

St. Mary's Remsen (4-5) at Newell-Fonda (9-0)

Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayrshire (6-3) at River Valley (8-1)

Anita CAM (4-5) at Exira/Elk Horn-Kimballton (8-0)

Coon Rapids-Bayard (7-3) at Fremont-Mills (7-2)

Boyer Valley (6-3) at Southwest Valley (7-2)

Sidney (8-1) at Glidden-Ralston (8-1)

Game of the Week: Wayne @ Murray
After nearly pulling of the win last week in what sounded like an outstanding game, Wayne comes into the playoffs, even after a loss, they are a very confident as a #3 seed. Already having played at Murray once this year, many could argue that this Wayne team isn't nearly the same team that showed up in week 4 this year. Murray on the other hand is playing another home playoff game after a great season yet again. They are looking to potentially make another deep playoff run behind the legs of Andrew Rider. Having broke the national punt return TD record already, he eyes to keep things going in the playoffs and extend that record a little more as well as the more important record which is in the win column. I expect this to be a very close game really. Wayne will be motivated and are itching to get another rematch with HLV in the second round. I feel a late score by Murray will be too much for Wayne to overcome but expect this to be a very close and very competitive game for all 48 minutes.

Game/Score to keep an eye on: Boyer Valley @ Southwest Valley
Not your typical 4vs1 game here, Boyer Valley exploded into the playoffs by beating West Harrison last week after starting the year just 1-3. This team in most districts I feel would be much higher than the 4 seed but unfortunately it is in arguably the deepest district in the state this year. Southwest Valley is District champ but they were oh so close to also being the #2 or even the #3 seed really (2 pts from being the #2 seed and 10 pts from the #3). District 8 has proven that it is quite a ways down from what it has been in the past. Like I am sure many other people are thinking, Southwest Valley needs to be on upset alert in this one. I have Boyer Valley picked here as they have a ton of momentum after finishing the year with 5 straight wins.

Bold Prediction of the Week: District 7 goes 4-0 against District 8
As I mentioned above, District 8 is not the district 8 of old. It is by far a level below District 7 in my eyes as well as all other games being set up very nicely for District 7 as far as matchups go. My prediction is come next monday night for second round, all 4 playoff teams from District 8 will be listening at home to the radio next monday as all 4 teams will be beat this Wednesday night.

***EDITTED TO FIX SPELLING AND GRAMMAR ERRORS
This post was edited on 10/28 8:50 AM by high90school

Definitely expect Wayne-Murray to be a great game. Wayne led the first meeting at halftime and was missing a number of key players in Week 4, including quarterback Dillon Lain (16-2 TD/INT ratio in basically 5 games, since he left the Week 2 Twin Cedars game in the first quarter with a cracked rib and didn't return until Week 5; he also has 6 interceptions on defense) and linebacker C.D. Kunzie (last season's defensive MVP who missed most of the season rehabbing from an ACL tear back in June and notched 6 stops in his first game back on Friday). Murray also scored twice later in the fourth quarter; the game was closer than the 47-22 score suggests.

Playing physical, disciplined football is what Wayne needs to beat Murray. You HAVE to stay disciplined on the backside and fill the cutback lanes, especially when Rider has the ball. He burns teams all the time when they overpursue and he cuts back against the grain. Then it's just a footrace between him and the last defender, and I'm not sure there's anyone in the state who can beat him in the open field. Wayne also has to be physical up front, especially on defense; they did a very good job of that in the first half against HLV, but went soft after halftime and HLV was able to do pretty much whatever they wanted offensively. That can't happen Wednesday night.

The offense will score; receivers got open pretty consistently in the first meeting (surprisingly so, especially on deep routes), but Wayne couldn't connect a lot with the backup quarterback in. He also isn't nearly as athletic as Lain and couldn't make a lot happen with his feet when the pocket broke down. Lain's presence should help open things up a little for Clayton Kiefer, who ran for 146 yards and 2 scores in the first meeting; he also caught a pair of passes for 40 yards and a touchdown as he scored all of Wayne's points.

I'm still picking Murray to win, but this will be a more exciting game than many might expect. Murray puts it away in the fourth quarter and comes away with a 44-32 win.

Central Elkader (6-4) at Don Bosco (9-0)
Northwood-Kensett (6-3) at Lansing Kee (6-3)

Tripoli (4-5) at Springville (9-0)
Easton Valley (5-3) at Janesville (8-1)

Grandview Park Baptist (3-6) at Victor H-L-V (8-2)

Corydon Wayne (6-3) at Murray (8-2)

Meskwaki Settlement School (5-4) at Adair-Casey (9-0)

Lamoni (8-2) at Twin Cedars (9-1)

Northeast Hamilton (6-3) at Marcus-Meriden-Cleghorn (8-1)

Remsen-Union (5-4) at West Bend-Mallard (9-1)

St. Mary's Remsen (4-5) at Newell-Fonda (9-0)

Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayrshire (6-3) at River Valley (8-1)

Anita CAM (4-5) at Exira/Elk Horn-Kimballton (8-0)

Coon Rapids-Bayard (7-3) at Fremont-Mills (7-2)

Boyer Valley (6-3) at Southwest Valley (7-2)

Sidney (8-1) at Glidden-Ralston (8-1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT