ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Guesser 2020 edition - Oh, wait a minute ...

KidSilverhair

Varsity
Aug 31, 2008
www.thirdandamile.blogspot.com
Yeah, everybody's in (as long as no one gets sick) so there's not much need to throw together my playoff predictor for this year. This pod business is gonna be weird, though - if the IHSAA is going mainly by geography; and there's 10 teams with first-round byes; and the way teams are distributed across the state; there's probably going to be quite a few district rematches. I hope they at least make an attempt to split up the better teams, so we don't get a, say, Assumption-North Scott matchup in the 2nd round while Fort Madison or somebody comes out of another pod.

But with the byes going to district winners, at least there's something to try to figure out with the districts. (As for that 10th bye team ... who knows how the state is going to figure THAT one out.) I also apologize if any of these district records are wrong; I didn't realize until I got to D-8 that Varsity Bound isn't always exactly up-to-date with district records. For example, they show Winterset with no district games played, when they're actually 2-0. I'm not all that impressed with the move to Varsity Bound ...

D-1: Looks like a three-way battle between Spencer, SBL, and BHRV. Spencer is in control of their own destiny, with games against BHRV and SBL (win them both, they're district champs). SBL plays 1-4 Heelan this week, so they'll probably win the district by beating Spencer next week, while BHRV has Storm Lake to end the season.

D-2: Webster City is in the driver's seat, unbeaten with games against Gilbert and Boone yet to play. Gilbert and Ballard each have just one district loss (Gilbert lost to Ballard, who lost to Webster City) so the potential for a three-way tie is alive.

D-3: Another three-way battle to be decided over the next two weeks. Decorah and Western Dubuque are currently 3-0 in the district and play each other next week. West Delaware has already lost to Decorah, so their game against Western Dubuque this week is huge for their chances.

D-4: This one is weird because of COVID. Davenport Assumption, Dubuque Wahlert, and North Scott are all undefeated in the district, but North Scott has only played one game. Two of those three could end up with no district losses (Assumption plays Wahlert next week).

D-5: Washington is in control here, with games left against Burlington and Keokuk. Fort Madison, Keokuk, and Mount Pleasant all have just one district loss, but Fort Madison plays Mount Pleasant this week and Keokuk has Washington next week.

D-6: Xavier wins the district if they can beat Grinnell tomorrow. If Grinnell wins, they'll take the district with a win over Clear Creek-Amana next week. If Grinnell wins this week and loses next week, and Xavier takes Benton to end the season, it's a three-way tie between Xavier, Grinnell, and CCA.

D-7: The Nevada-Pella game next week probably decides the district champion.

D-8: Dallas Center-Grimes controls their destiny, playing the only other teams with a shot the next two weeks (ADM and Winterset).

D-9: The winner of Harlan-Lewis Central next week will almost certainly be the district champ.

xavier looked very tough against grinnell, not sure what happen to grinnell in this game, but they were not in it from the beginning.. xavier looks like top dog in 3a, not sure if anyone can beat them, at least i got that impression watching them tonight . if u look at xaviers roster, they are not large team by any strech, not many over 200.. they looked quick, and the offense seems to hide the ball well on plays, u dont know who has the ball from what i noticed, especially in their hurry up offense

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT