ADVERTISEMENT

Padding Stats?

Zowwy21

Freshman
Nov 6, 2013
I understand there are occasional discrepancies between whether a ball is a hit or an error, as it is sometimes a judgement call, but we recently played a team and limited them to 3 legitimate hits - 1 got on because of a dropped ball and another due to an overthrow of first base - so not a lot of room for contention. Not like they were hot shots that went of the glove or something. This team has reported that they had 9 hits during the game! The only thing I can come up with was there were 3 fielders choices in addition to the 2 errors, and 1 I have no idea how it would have been scored. But seriously! 9 hits versus 3 hits? I pray this was some new young kid scoring for his first time and coach didn't review it, because it would be a travesty if this was done intentionally. Of course they are now leading the conference in batting average and have 3 kids that look like they are doing awesome. But now can't trust ANY stats this team reports. And unfortunately these are the same stats that will determine conference honors. RIDICULOUS!

Reactions: mtdew_fever
High school stats are always questionable, because there are some people who will intentionally fudge numbers, and there are some who simply don't know the scoring/statistical rules.

From your post, my guess is that some parent or bench player not versed in the rules was keeping stats.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
High school stats are always questionable, because there are some people who will intentionally fudge numbers, and there are some who simply don't know the scoring/statistical rules.

From your post, my guess is that some parent or bench player not versed in the rules was keeping stats.

I know we have parents that do the books and gamechanger for our team. I can tell you that our stats are inflated. I have had my son tell the coach that a couple of his stats needed corrected. I know for a fact that quik stats are used for post season awards and college coaches definitely look at them.

There are two teams I am very familiar and both play it straight. In both cases the head coaches review the book and submit it based on their interpretation of hit/error. A couple of times I have thought they have been overly strict against their own team, but I would much rather have that than having a parent do it and submit misleading stats.

The sad thing is that some kids lose out on the chance to be all-conference, all-district, or all-state because of this. I remember several years ago a team had something like 200 runs scored and 200 RBI's.

The sad thing is that some kids lose out on the chance to be all-conference, all-district, or all-state because of this. I remember several years ago a team had something like 200 runs scored and 200 RBI's.

Runs scored along with walks and HR's are the stats that cant be fudged. The others....yeah.

I had this issue when I was coaching. I went through all conference games and compared team hits vs. hits allowed by the other team. 8 teams were +15 hits or below (we played 11 conference games, so essentially one per game....nothing really to outrageous). 2 teams were actually negative hits vs. what their opponents had said. Then we had 2 teams that were way off. One team was +27 hits, the other was something ridiculous like +45. The team that was +27 was really bad and had a first year coach, so I talked to him before the all-conference meeting about maybe reviewing and correcting stats that kids or parents do. The +45 coach was a seasoned coach, and he was an ass, so I called him out during the meeting. Was amazed how many other coaches suddenly had the “oh yeah...I don’t remember that kid hitting that well against us either” comments.

IHSAA needs to require the home team to provide an official scorer for baseball like they do in basketball.

Reactions: Zowwy21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT