ADVERTISEMENT

Out of state transfers

troutstamp1

Freshman
Aug 24, 2007
With all this pandemic going on and states canceling football we have seen HS kids post on social media they will be transferring to a school in Iowa to play. Ive seen kids post from ILL, Mn, Calif and Kansas and specifically say where they are going and of course we know where most of those destinations are in Iowa. The state has a 90 day sit policy unless you establish residence meaning your family must pick up and move to iowa, yea if you believe that your nuts. These kids will leave the day after last game and head home and then play spring ball in their own state. Some people have stated why let them in and take the place of an iowa kids who worked his butt off only to be second string to some 3 star recruit that's just coming in for a few weeks of football. The 90 day rule sucks because people find loop holes on residency to get heir kid immediately eligible. My suggestion to the state is simple no hassle, gut the 90 day thing and just make it 50% of the season they must sit so in football thats 4 of the 8 games. So you ask why do that well how many of these kids that are just coming to play football will still transfer just to play possibly 4 games before they transfer back home. What this also does is show who was actually transferring for the right reasons and plan on staying at the school for the year to probably participate in many actives. This also give those kids already in the system a chance to prove themselves ahead of any transfer taking their spot. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Families showing up from out of state will clearly have had to move. So, they will be eligible immediately.
Should raise the quality of play and the recruiting profile of Iowa if we do bring some new top players to the state.

Reactions: tastytacos
Families showing up from out of state will clearly have had to move. So, they will be eligible immediately.
Should raise the quality of play and the recruiting profile of Iowa if we do bring some new top players to the state.
Are you guaranteeing they are moving or just renting an apartment with their name on the lease because I know for a fact that has been happening in the past. These kids will be gone the day after football.

Are you guaranteeing they are moving or just renting an apartment with their name on the lease because I know for a fact that has been happening in the past. These kids will be gone the day after football.

Well, based on that interview with the IHSAA the other day, the school administrators will be the ones determining if new students are eligible.
But, if they are relocating from out of state, they will need a new home/apartment.
It's not like they will still live in their old community as has happened in the past with neighboring small schools.
As long as they actually move, they will meet the rules for a transfer.

Let’s be honest, few if any of these “transfers” will be in Iowa to open presents on Christmas morning, let alone graduate here. That being said, it’s up to each individual district to confirm the student is in compliance with the eligibility requirements... and we all know how rigorous schools will be with their new found 3 star transfer.

Some Districts weren’t rigorous when it was just a kid from a school 10 miles away.

Why is transferring to Iowa for a chance to play football their senior year a bad thing? I'm all for a student athlete to be able to live out there dream, no matter the state they are from.

Pretty sure the schools they are transferring to normally have instate transfers, so the kids in the program are used to having to bust their butt for a spot.

It doesn't matter if they are renting or setting up shop permanently. They must show residence, not permanent residence.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I myself would not have minded if the state scratched the transfer rule completely this year and had 100% eligibility. Not for it to be the wild west, but more to give a student and their family an opportunity to transfer to a district without moving based on COVID decisions of both school districts and the teams.

I personally don’t care about the transfer mania. Perhaps if I was the senior kid who was a district native and worked his arse off for his shot to finally start at QB, DB or...only to lose out to a transfer, yeah I’d be a little pissed. As screwed up as everything is, the idea above almost makes sense about waiving transfer eligibility requirements, it’s not the kids fault their home state pooched them. It would certainly have the potential to make border school districts one hit wonders.

Reactions: rkhemp
Why is transferring to Iowa for a chance to play football their senior year a bad thing? I'm all for a student athlete to be able to live out there dream, no matter the state they are from.

Pretty sure the schools they are transferring to normally have instate transfers, so the kids in the program are used to having to bust their butt for a spot.

It doesn't matter if they are renting or setting up shop permanently. They must show residence, not permanent residence.
Basically it’s the rich get richer is the issue most will complain about.

With school going online, Districts are growing less important than they’ve been.
Your physical location no longer has anything to do with your ability to learn from a computer.

Maybe some day we have virtual school Districts. With national recognized expert teachers for specific subjects or talented students. Maybe some genius kid in the middle of nowhere can access higher level courses than would have otherwise been possible. Will be interesting to see what comes next.

I myself would not have minded if the state scratched the transfer rule completely this year and had 100% eligibility. Not for it to be the wild west, but more to give a student and their family an opportunity to transfer to a district without moving based on COVID decisions of both school districts and the teams.
It wouldnt have to be the wild west if they scrapped the 90 day rule and just implemented the 50% rule, so in a 8 game season you sit 4 and if you make a playoff run your playing more.. If the kid who just wants to transfer to participate he still comes and plays probably multiple sports if not they are coming for the wrong reasons.

It wouldnt have to be the wild west if they scrapped the 90 day rule and just implemented the 50% rule, so in a 8 game season you sit 4 and if you make a playoff run your playing more.. If the kid who just wants to transfer to participate he still comes and plays probably multiple sports if not they are coming for the wrong reasons.

They would just transfer during a sport they don't care about and sit 50% of game they wouldn't play anyway.
Just like the 90 day rule results in timed transfers now.

They would just transfer during a sport they don't care about and sit 50% of game they wouldn't play anyway.
Just like the 90 day rule results in timed transfers now.
False. There is no season in front of fall football and that’s the current elephant in the room

False. There is no season in front of fall football and that’s the current elephant in the room

This is the correct answer, not one of these transfers that has actually tweeted out where they were going would transfer if they had to sit a percentage of the season. Now the kid that transfers in and would be elated if he only had to miss a percentage of the games hes probably there for the year to maybe participate in multiple things and doing it the right way. The majority of these transfers will be back in their old school 2 days after their season ends.

Reactions: Reasoned
Since everyone makes the playoffs, why make em sit out.

These families like everyone else have been through enough this year. If a family has to move to ANOTHER state, then let the damn kids play. Not a big deal. They are making that sacrifice.

Getting quality kids from out of state to play high school football in Iowa only makes the sport better.

This is the correct answer, not one of these transfers that has actually tweeted out where they were going would transfer if they had to sit a percentage of the season. Now the kid that transfers in and would be elated if he only had to miss a percentage of the games hes probably there for the year to maybe participate in multiple things and doing it the right way. The majority of these transfers will be back in their old school 2 days after their season ends.
Correct, we all know this is probably the case but for schools which stand to benefit from the athletes, they will quietly justify skirting the spirit of transfer eligibility guidelines if a championship is the end.

Let the kids play. If you had a D1 kid that was in a state that wasn't allowing football and you had the ability to pay to move, find a job in iowa, or enough to live off your savings for 4 months, I'm sure most of you would move as well.

These families like everyone else have been through enough this year. If a family has to move to ANOTHER state, then let the damn kids play. Not a big deal. They are making that sacrifice.

Getting quality kids from out of state to play high school football in Iowa only makes the sport better.
The problem is some of these families ARE NOT moving to Iowa but yet just putting their name on a rental property, this has happened for years. It is not up to the state assoc to monitor it as they leave it up to each school district whether they are taking up residence in the district or not.

That is one hell of a commute if the kid is not moving to Iowa. As ones I have heard about are headed to the Des Moines area.

But doesn't matter to me. Do what's best your kids and your family. If it hurts the feelings of opposing schools so be it.

Let the kids play. If you had a D1 kid that was in a state that wasn't allowing football and you had the ability to pay to move, find a job in iowa, or enough to live off your savings for 4 months, I'm sure most of you would move as well.
Absolutely would, especially if he/she hasn’t committed yet.

Kids that want to transfer for football now, just do so in the spring so they can sit out baseball or whatever other sport they don’t care about. If they had to sit 50% of a season, they same thing would happen.

As a MAC member, I was told we had 5 transfers but after administration discussion, they’re all gone.

“Makes the sport better”? What the hell are you talking about? These are not professional athletes or even college athletes. They are high school students. Their season was shut down due to a global pandemic. Renting apartments or moving your family across country or whatever so Johnny can play football for a dream is misguided and completely the wrong thing to do. Graduating with your friends and accepting life as it comes and dealing with the future is part of growth. If Johnny or his parents need their sport fix that bad, play travel sports. They are out there. Some of the stories are beyond ridiculous and most turn out poorly in the end

Reactions: Reasoned
“Makes the sport better”? What the hell are you talking about? These are not professional athletes or even college athletes. They are high school students. Their season was shut down due to a global pandemic. Renting apartments or moving your family across country or whatever so Johnny can play football for a dream is misguided and completely the wrong thing to do. Graduating with your friends and accepting life as it comes and dealing with the future is part of growth. If Johnny or his parents need their sport fix that bad, play travel sports. They are out there. Some of the stories are beyond ridiculous and most turn out poorly in the end
To each their own. I’d be willing to provide the opportunity to my child to earn a scholarship.

How can you say it is completely the wrong thing to do? Not a single situation where it would be the right thing to do? Top 100 kid gets injured jr year. Senior year is this year. Nah, lets not try and help our kid get a scholarship or pursue his dream. Come on. If you have the means, you're making it happen.

How can you say it is completely the wrong thing to do? Not a single situation where it would be the right thing to do? Top 100 kid gets injured jr year. Senior year is this year. Nah, lets not try and help our kid get a scholarship or pursue his dream. Come on. If you have the means, you're making it happen.
Not what I said...sport. I said there are a lot of whacked out parents in 2020. And money spent on posturing for the nonsense (in nearly all cases) outweighs the return for the student-athlete and I’d also venture to guess most scenarios it was more for the parent than for the kid. Believe me, I’ve seen it over my lifetime. But the audience here is likely 90% parents of Johnny heisman scholarship so knock yourselves out. You’ll find out soon enough when reality sets in

Not what I said...sport. I said there are a lot of whacked out parents in 2020. And money spent on posturing for the nonsense (in nearly all cases) outweighs the return for the student-athlete and I’d also venture to guess most scenarios it was more for the parent than for the kid. Believe me, I’ve seen it over my lifetime. But the audience here is likely 90% parents of Johnny heisman scholarship so knock yourselves out. You’ll find out soon enough when reality sets in
I guess my question would be why does it bother you how other people spend their money and run their household. If they think their kid is good enough and want to provide opportunities then great, more power to them. If they find out the hard way their kid isn’t D1 material, oh well no impact on me. I will say at least they’re involved in their kids’ lives.

I guess my question would be why does it bother you how other people spend their money and run their household. If they think their kid is good enough and want to provide opportunities then great, more power to them. If they find out the hard way their kid isn’t D1 material, oh well no impact on me. I will say at least they’re involved in their kids’ lives.
Lol. Too much involvement. So you sell your house and uproot your family for Johnny...i mean “your dreams “. School in new state shuts down in week three or never even gets started. Now look at the mess you’ve created. And you are the laughingstock of both towns as a result. Why chime in? Isn’t that the point of these boards?

Lol. Too much involvement. So you sell your house and uproot your family for Johnny...i mean “your dreams “. School in new state shuts down in week three or never even gets started. Now look at the mess you’ve created. And you are the laughingstock of both towns as a result. Why chime in? Isn’t that the point of these boards?
1. My child’s dreams are my dreams. I don’t force them to play, but I will provide the best of opportunities if they want to pursue their dream and work hard. 2. If someone can sell their house and find new jobs or work remotely in this pandemic, great for them. 3. You didn’t answer. Does it bother if families do this? If so, how does it impact you that it bothers you.

Reactions: rkhemp and Pinehawk

What the hell am I talking about? The more participation in Iowa High School Sports makes the sport better. Especially when it is quality student athletes being added, which in most these cases it is. Not sure why that is hard for you to understand, nor why you are so butt hurt about it.

Here is the story about JC Moreau. Great Story. Hope it works out for him. I am sure it makes CCA a little better team.

https://www.kcrg.com/2020/08/29/new...e-football-season-to-get-college-scholarship/

What the hell am I talking about? The more participation in Iowa High School Sports makes the sport better. Especially when it is quality student athletes being added, which in most these cases it is. Not sure why that is hard for you to understand, nor why you are so butt hurt about it.

Here is the story about JC Moreau. Great Story. Hope it works out for him. I am sure it makes CCA a little better team.

https://www.kcrg.com/2020/08/29/new...e-football-season-to-get-college-scholarship/
Lol. SMH. Good luck

Yes, good luck to him and all the transfers indeed. I know you are hoping for a shut down. I hope you are disappointed.

Not much consistency here...how do all these guys in central Iowa get deemed ineligible while the Whitaker kid at Sioux City East keeps playing? He lives in South Sioux City, NE with his brother when hes not living with an East football coach..fair is fair??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT