ADVERTISEMENT

Oskaloosa coaching vacancy

FarmFam

Freshman
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2012
Officially informed this morning Oskaloosa Head Coach Mark Schilb resigned to go back home and take over the job at Clarinda.

That is a strange move, does he have a connection to Clarinda, I mean Osky has put a lot of money to improving facilities.

Clarinda is home for him and that is the reason as I understand it. I heard he will also be moving from a P.E. teacher to a middle school principal which may be a salary improvement. He has switched jobs often. Word had it he was offered the offensive coordinator job at William Penn as well but declined. He is a good coach, but had a trying year last year. The chemistry just wasn't good. Oskaloosa started 6 sophomores last year, partially due to some key injuries and partially due to a weak senior class. The cupboard is full of talent coming up and things look bright.

thanks for sharing. will be interesting what / who they might look for or what they might be able to combine with it or would hire a guy if they didn't have a teaching spot with it.

There are a couple assistants on the defensive side interested in the job, but I don't think interviews have even started yet. Supposedly there are at least 15 applicants but everything is rumor without any formal announcements being made. Supposedly there are some coaches at the lower levels also interested.

They haven't hired yet. Talked to one of the applicants who hadn't even been interviewed yet. It may be a couple weeks yet.

Is there a reason for the delay? I would assume getting to the kids and setting summer expectations/camps etc. would be a priority.

It is my understanding they wanted to fill some other positions in the district first to see what teaching positions would be available with the coaching job. Heard there were 5-6 internal applicants with up to 30 total applicants. Lot of interest due to excitement about the future winning potential and some decent facilities.

Monte, Selection process is going on right now. Don't expect to hear anything official until early next week. 2-3 decent outside candidates and 2-3 internal finalists are interviewing.

Interviews complete. Announcement as soon as Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest we are being told.

3 in house interviews from 9th grade coach and 2 varsity defensive assistants. I think two outside interviews. Just rumors, but heard Winterset and Minnesota mentioned. Not sure which way they will go.

I thought he was the Principal at Winterset.I didn't think you could Coach and be Principal.I must be thinking of someone else.

I guess he was a principal at Winterset. Going to teach PE at Osky. I don't think anyone knows Jeff, but a lot of upset people they didn't hire from within.

I'm guessing he was a social studies teacher at Winterset because they listed a social studies opening yesterday

There is no rule against being and administrator and coaching. At one time, Eddyville-Blakesburg's principal was the head wrestling coach. Problem is they both just take up too much time and one will suffer.

Rob Luther is the Head Football coach at CMB and is also the high school principal. He has done this for the past 15-20 years.

I am guessing life will be less stressful as a PE teacher instead of a Principal even though the money will be less. Maybe they made him some special offer to keep his salary the same. I get the sense he wants to be a head coach bad enough he is willing to sacrifice in a few other areas. Definitely a personal decision on his part that I hope works out for everybody. Still haven't heard much about his coaching philosophy or experience from anybody.

Coach Barker met the players last night and told that they will be running a hurry up / no huddle offense. On defense he wants to play an aggresive attacking defense. Most of the kids seemed to like him, of course they liked the last coach at first as well. That didn't turn out so well. Hopefully he gets the program turned around.

"Maybe they made him some special offer to keep his salary the same" How can they make that happen?

Hawks024,

"That didn't turn out so well." Coach Schlib was there for 2 years right? One of those season they were a playoff team (not sure how fare they went...but were a very tough out). And the next season they had a rough season from a W-L perspective but were competitive in every game and were very young and injured. They will be one of the preseason favorites in District 8 next year wont they? I would imagine some of that credit goes to Schlib...no? I don't understand attitudes like yours. Osky is not a 3A power house. They are not even Pella. However I do think their program is headed in the right way and they always play tough. They will be good for the foreseeable future. But I am sure that all dates back to Staton. LOL!

Wow, interesting development today. Coach Barker, who was just hired one week ago resigned from the Osky job Saturday citing personal reasons. Today the A.D. named Mike Sterner (assistant for 17 years and alumni) head coach.

The_Law57,
I was talking more about the way he treated his players then his actual coaching ability. In my opinion there is no place in high school sports for his style of coaching. I don't think very many people / players were upset to see him leave. I never said Osky was a power house, but for them to be competitive they need kids going out and that wasn't going to happen without a coaching change. Why did you feel the need to bring Coach Staton in to this?

Barker resigning after 1 week does not surprise me at all. He is a very flaky person, and loves for people to want him. I have family members from Winterset and my nephew played for him a few years back and said that "he is very self centered."

"he is very self center" unfortunately their is a lot of these types out there and they always find a sucker to hire them and they make everybody miserable for 3 or 4 years and then move on to another sucker.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT