ADVERTISEMENT

Officating sectionals, diisticts & state?

nw-iowa

Freshman
Oct 7, 2007
Did'nt make this year to state but listened on the radio. Sounded like there was some bad calls. stalling was being called particularlly quick. whats everyone opinion, how was the reffing. Is it time for instance replay review?

I really hope you were kidding about instant replay. It's dumb enough in the NFL.

As for stalling being called quickly, I don't think it was called any quicker than any other time. Stalling should be called quickly. The way the rule reads is that on your feet you should be on offense and wrestling as close to the center circle as possible. On top you should be working for the fall and underneath you should be working to get out. Poor officiating is failing to have the stones to call good wrestlers for playing the edge, riding parallel, or going par terre underneath.

What happens is that during the season, you tend to see poorer officials who are afraid to call stalling. Then you get into the post-season -- especially Districts and State -- and only the best officials are there. THEY actually call stalling the right way. If you haven't seen it called the right way all year, you're going to assume it's wrong.

Not all the officials at State were the best. I wont use names as many of you know who they are. One in particular is very eratic. There is way too much inaction by some of the top wrestlers like Meeks in the finals. He is excellent as a counter wrestler and used that well but didn't innitiate much.

IMO stalling isn't called enough. They will warn a guy with 30 secs. left in the match when it doesn't matter anyway.

My biggest problem with officals is consistancy. I see the same officials at state call stalling right out of the gate. But at tournaments in Jan. these same officials do not call it. And sometimes when you have elite kids (I am not talking about the match you mentioned Bett Fan) it isn't stalling, it is two skilled kids, neutrilizing the each others moves.

there were two mataches I saw when the auxiliry official talked the lead official out of his call and the lead official was right. In one case it was a take down at the end of the period. Lead called it 2 and the aux. talked him out of it. Later match was simular situation with same lead official and once again aux. official talked him out of it and changed it to the wrong call. Some serious work needs to be done with the mechanics and responsibilities when two offials are used. In my oppinion, if the auxiliery official talks the lead into changing a call he better be 110% right. One obvious problem is why is the auxilery official looking at the clock when there is also a lumper. In my view he should be watching the action and let the lumper do his job.

Fisrt and formost we have some very good officals, i reallize they can't be in postion all the time. There is no better time to critique officals than at sections, distrcts and state, preferally thoughout the year. the state need to do evaluations and if there is enough complaints(via tape of matchs) from differnt coaches the offical could be put on review. if offical makes the same mistakes then on suspension.then possible revocation. also the refs should be assigned so the don't ref kids from their area this would stop any bias. i also think officals should make more$$ yes its an honor to be chosen at state. officals need make a decent wage and expense so quality young guys to repalce the older guys. I know of two matches this year where the ref decided the match not the wrestlers. We need to make every effort to be consistanly consistant NOT consistanly inconsistant.

NW-iowa, I agree. For example Marv Reiland should never officiate an IC West match. Period! I don' think he did at state but he should never be on the mat for any of their matches. Perception alone should dictate this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT