ADVERTISEMENT

North Linn

Feb 23, 2012
How is North Linn so good at every sport, boys & girls, year in and year out? What is their secret, honest question? Watched their baseball team pull off a miracle on Monday and most their team is freshman and sophomores. I figured when Jake Hilmer graduated they would drop big in everything but here they are yet again. And their softball team is picked to win state again this summer. Just a crazy run of success in what seems to be every single sport.

Several factors converging (location to CR area, especially as a small school, coaches' kids and their classes coming through right now, etc.), but honestly, they work their butts off, at everything basically, all year. Some coaches want "multi-sport" athletes, but they really mean "only play my sport when it's happening and you can't do anything else during this season." Those NL kids are competing in multiple sports/athletic opportunities all year. In other words, they have a culture right now of "you better practice really hard and be dedicated if you're part of our programs," and I think they have a multitude of kids (and not to be under-stated, their coaches) that have bought into that.

Several factors converging (location to CR area, especially as a small school, coaches' kids and their classes coming through right now, etc.), but honestly, they work their butts off, at everything basically, all year. Some coaches want "multi-sport" athletes, but they really mean "only play my sport when it's happening and you can't do anything else during this season." Those NL kids are competing in multiple sports/athletic opportunities all year. In other words, they have a culture right now of "you better practice really hard and be dedicated if you're part of our programs," and I think they have a multitude of kids (and not to be under-stated, their coaches) that have bought into that.

Very impressive run for this school. A lot of great athletes and coaches combined with community support. Just a winning mentality it seems from North Linn, not maybe in every single sport, but the majority of them for sure.

It all starts at the youth levels for most part. I know a lot of the time their girls, can't speak for the boys, play up a grade level in youth tournaments. They make take some lumps at an early age once in awhile but it obviously is paying off for them in a big way. They're definitely doing something right that's for sure. Kudos to them!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT