ADVERTISEMENT

North Linn- GVC- Who Ya Got?

It is hard to beat returning champs who have added a freak athlete while returning their best player. But if anyone can do it this North Linn team is it. That said I still think Grand View will pull it out in a close one. They will be the most composed and athletic team North Linn has faced all year. I think they can handle North Linn's great pressure D better than anyone and will limit North Linn's transition points.

North Linn by 15. The GV big guy gets into early foul trouble and they fall into a hole from which they can not recover.

North Linn scares teams with their pressure and speed. Grandview has played the #5 schedule according to BC Moore, and North Linn has played the #50. Grandview is not scared. It makes a difference if you do the fundamentals right, which is take care of the ball against North Linn.

Reactions: iowalongs230
North Linn is not nearly as good of a team if they are not getting points off turnovers. They haven't played a team that can match their quickness on the defensive end like Grandview has in the first half. It'll be interesting to see how the react to playing in a close game for the first time since playing GR in the semis last year. If Grandview can stay out of foul trouble I'd have to give them the better chance after that half.

Both teams are really tight -- Whichever one settles down and gets into their game gets the nod. 3 fouls on Montes is big. Someone besides Miller and Hilmer is going to have to step up and hit some shots to open up the defense. GV has to be able to take care of the ball, foolish turnovers.

I think Glenn has made the biggest difference for Grandview really quick playing on the ball preventing easy drives and kicks.

It's gonna come down to Free Throws -- NL handles the ball better -- as long as it is close, my money is on the Lynx.

Great game by North Linn. Great team. Just couldn't score enough in a half court game because they are used to transition scores. North Linn was never going to run a super athletic Grandview team off the floor. They are a good team though. They cant help they are in a weaker conference. They rely too much on the press though.

Some serious dunks!

GVC had enough composure to mostly negate the North Linn press, taking away their biggest weapon.
Controlled the tempo and held on for the win.

Having never been in a tight game, NL did seem confused in crunch time.

It is hard to beat returning champs who have added a freak athlete while returning their best player. But if anyone can do it this North Linn team is it. That said I still think Grand View will pull it out in a close one. They will be the most composed and athletic team North Linn has faced all year. I think they can handle North Linn's great pressure D better than anyone and will limit North Linn's transition points.
Good call sarcastico!

Reactions: sarcastico
Previous post mentioned a best of 7 series, that would be fun to watch. North Linn is such an athletic team. I was really worried going into this one (though I never thought they'd beat GVC by 24). It's no bold prediction to think that they'll be back again next year (in 2A?).

Congrats to Coach Stubbs and the GVC boys on a great season. It was truly a team effort, as evidenced in this tournament, that when one player had a down game, someone else stepped up.

Obviously Samake had a huge championship game, but for anyone to attribute GVC's success solely to him would be mistaken. In the first half of the season without him, they were a different team but not necessarily a worse team. Their BCMoore scores were virtually identical from the first half of the season to the second. They were much better defensively with Samake but sometimes struggled to find their previous offensive rhythm with him (that's definitely not a knock on him, it's just that they were used to playing a different style and had to adjust). Keep in mind in the semi final after he fouled out, Remsen score 4 more points but then GV went on a 19-5 run to end the game.

I also want to commend Grant DeMeulenaere, who had 2 rough games to start the state tourney but didn't give up and finished with a strong final game...what a way to go out as a senior.

Can someone fill me on Samake’s background? Did his family move to DM? Dad or mom get a job/transferred here?

He moved with his family from Tennessee. Originally from Mali. If you lived in that hell hole...you’d want out too. I’m talking about Mali. Not sure about Tennessee:)

Nailed it!

Reactions: sarcastico
Except for the 2nd qtr, that game was want you'd want out of championship. What a great game to watch. Hats off to both squads. Back and forth entire game.

GVC and their athleticism were the key. That is a heck of a defensive effort to hold NL to 46. On offense, I thought if they hit their outside shots they could come out on top.

Samake was altering a lot of shots inside, and man the dunks were impressive.

NL had some great answers to some big time potential momentum shifts. They were hitting some big shots. The last shot looked straight on, just short.

I'd beefed about tourney officials in prior threads, but thought that did a pretty good job. Might've been a few misses but overall called pretty well.

I hope they are able to make it back next year to the Well at the 2A tourney. They are a great team and would love to see how they would do against a 2A field. Losing Miller will hurt, but hopefully they can find somebody to fill his spot. Hilmer needs to shoot the 3 more next year.

I think North Linn will ake the 2A field. What does Cascade return? North Linn should look at adding a school like them or Marion to their schedule. Now North Linn will need to worry about Western Christian and Pella Christian rebounding from disappointing seasons.

I think North Linn will ake the 2A field. What does Cascade return? North Linn should look at adding a school like them or Marion to their schedule. Now North Linn will need to worry about Western Christian and Pella Christian rebounding from disappointing seasons.
Western returns 3 starters (including All-Stater Jacob Vis) and their top 4 reserves.
They lost by 1 shot to the top 2 Class A teams from South Dakota, before that awful shooting night against Kuemper @ substate.
New coach, a couple good shooters moving up, and a brutal schedule will have them ready for '18-'19.

The other NW Iowa 2A powers will be down due to graduation.

Reactions: theocia
Western returns 3 starters (including All-Stater Jacob Vis) and their top 4 reserves.
They lost by 1 shot to the top 2 Class A teams from South Dakota, before that awful shooting night against Kuemper @ substate.
New coach, a couple good shooters moving up, and a brutal schedule will have them ready for '18-'19.

This year's state tournament was a reprieve, btw. I enjoyed it. Let's try to keep it going, instead! :)

Reactions: mylameusername

Spoken like a true Wolfpack fan. One day after the season ends and claiming the 2019 trophy already! New coach could be their biggest obstacle to overcome. Good luck for a better 2019 WC.

Spoken like a true Wolfpack fan. One day after the season ends and claiming the 2019 trophy already! New coach could be their biggest obstacle to overcome. Good luck for a better 2019 WC.
I didn't read anything about claiming to be the best.

He's a fan and let us know what they have coming back.
And from one of the schools that can probably walk the walk.

Agree that a lot of the other contenders from this area lost a lot of key seniors.

Reactions: Ted 5454
He moved with his family from Tennessee. Originally from Mali. If you lived in that hell hole...you’d want out too. I’m talking about Mali. Not sure about Tennessee:)
I guess I’m not familiar with all the transfer rules, if he moved with his family why was he ineligible the first semester?

I guess I’m not familiar with all the transfer rules, if he moved with his family why was he ineligible the first semester?

I'm sure I'll be corrected, but I think if you have competed in any sport in HS and change schools, even when moving with family (which I don't think Samake did), you have to sit out 90 days of competition. His 90 days ended with about 8 games left in the regular season.

If you move with at least one parent and live in a different district the student gets instant eligibility, but privates don't have border so you I'm guessing you can't get instant edibility.

This where it gets abused, parents claim a separation rent a room, claim one parent and kid are living there so the child can get instant eligibility..

If you move with at least one parent and live in a different district the student gets instant eligibility, but privates don't have border so you I'm guessing you can't get instant edibility.

This where it gets abused, parents claim a separation rent a room, claim one parent and kid are living there so the child can get instant eligibility..

Yep. Couple years ago a kid play for poor West Liberty team. One parent 'moved' and he sat out two weeks and joined the West Branch team for the basketball playoffs. Two teams, same season.

Entertaining game.

After watching all 3 games, I noticed that the water boy had more input on the bench than Coach Hilmer Sr.
Why is he listed as a co-coach?
(Honorary Asst Coach seems more appropriate)

I assume he gets credit for the victories when listed as co-coach.

Except for private schools. Their rules are more strict in this area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT