ADVERTISEMENT

No fans allowed in State

Anonymous111

Freshman
Jun 27, 2018
Whether your from Inwood or Keokuk, I think we can all agree this sucks for not only the fans, but the players as well. Not looking to get political, just frustrated. Venting is accepted here

Whether your from Inwood or Keokuk, I think we can all agree this sucks for not only the fans, but the players as well. Not looking to get political, just frustrated. Venting is accepted here
It might not be Inwood for me but it's pretty close. If they would have hanged it after Tuesday or even Wednesday it wouldn't be so bad but a lot of fans have been here all week. They booked their rooms accordingly and after going 4 days in a row to see games at that venue a 5th day would make no difference.

They allowed fans for 26 games this week and now they are locking people out for the final 6. Not much you can do but IMO an "attend at your own risk" would have been just as good once already getting this far.

It might not be Inwood for me but it's pretty close. If they would have hanged it after Tuesday or even Wednesday it wouldn't be so bad but a lot of fans have been here all week. They booked their rooms accordingly and after going 4 days in a row to see games at that venue a 5th day would make no difference.

They allowed fans for 26 games this week and now they are locking people out for the final 6. Not much you can do but IMO an "attend at your own risk" would have been just as good once already getting this far.
Just a tough situation for everyone. The more I read into this virus the more it makes me think we’re overreacting. 12,000 people died from the swine flu a while back, and 36 have died from this. More people died from vending machines falling on them last year then the virus has killed here. But hey, I’m just a dumb Iowan who shouldn’t think for himself I guess

Wednesday:
*Nebraska announces limited access for their prep tournament.

Thursday:
*Kansas cancels its prep tournament after the quarterfinals.
*Illinois cancels the remainder of its winter sport championships (including boys hoops).
*Minnesota announces limited access to tournament games beginning Friday.
*Iowa announces limited access for Friday's games.
*Wisconsin cancels the remainder of its basketball tournament games.

Last edited:
Just a tough situation for everyone. The more I read into this virus the more it makes me think we’re overreacting. 12,000 people died from the swine flu a while back, and 36 have died from this. More people died from vending machines falling on them last year then the virus has killed here. But hey, I’m just a dumb Iowan who shouldn’t think for himself I guess
That is a pretty poor comparison. It is like comparing Lebron to Zion and saying Zion sucks cause he only has 448 points compared to Lebron's 34,087. This virus is just a rookie just getting a start in our country. You have to go by worldwide percentages which tell us that if it does start to spread the death toll will be pretty significant. The reality is when it comes to this you are just a dumb Iowan, and so am I, most of us are. This is why we need to depend on the expertise of people who know and study viruses for a living. All of whom are saying this is a really serious threat that if not properly dealt with can cause the death of thousands if not millions of people.

I get what people are saying about it being just one more day. But Friday always draws the biggest crowd. So you will have more people from more places all sitting closer together. If anyone there has the virus it will spread much easier than the rest of the week. It is not crazy to think the virus could be present either. There are more people carrying it than we know due to a lack of testing. I personally know someone who is showing symptoms after being exposed to a recent traveler to Italy but they cannot get tested. It is pretty scary to think about.

I am as disappointed as anyone that I can't go and watch the finals. This is one of my favorite days of the year. But if it means fewer people get sick and fewer people die as a result I can live with it. There is a bigger picture to think about here.

That is a pretty poor comparison. It is like comparing Lebron to Zion and saying Zion sucks cause he only has 448 points compared to Lebron's 34,087. This virus is just a rookie just getting a start in our country. You have to go by worldwide percentages which tell us that if it does start to spread the death toll will be pretty significant. The reality is when it comes to this you are just a dumb Iowan, and so am I, most of us are. This is why we need to depend on the expertise of people who know and study viruses for a living. All of whom are saying this is a really serious threat that if not properly dealt with can cause the death of thousands if not millions of people.

I get what people are saying about it being just one more day. But Friday always draws the biggest crowd. So you will have more people from more places all sitting closer together. If anyone there has the virus it will spread much easier than the rest of the week. It is not crazy to think the virus could be present either. There are more people carrying it than we know due to a lack of testing. I personally know someone who is showing symptoms after being exposed to a recent traveler to Italy but they cannot get tested. It is pretty scary to think about.

I am as disappointed as anyone that I can't go and watch the finals. This is one of my favorite days of the year. But if it means fewer people get sick and fewer people die as a result I can live with it. There is a bigger picture to think about here.
Lol no ur taking career numbers he’s taking an average yearly death. Per year a vending machine is more likely to fall on you and kill you then the coronavirus is to kill you, at the moment. In the US and 30 of the 36 deaths have been in Washington.

What about all the deaths in the US alone this year due to pneumonia and influenza A are those not worries anymore? Because there are more deaths due to those then there is worldwide do to coronavirus.

Lol no ur taking career numbers he’s taking an average yearly death. Per year a vending machine is more likely to fall on you and kill you then the coronavirus is to kill you, at the moment. In the US and 30 of the 36 deaths have been in Washington.
Fair point. I reached a bit in my comparison as well. My main point stills stands. This is a new virus so of course the total numbers are low right now. They only way to keep them that way is to ensure we don't spread it. Large groups of people coming together will make it spread pretty fast. We need to get ahead of this thing because fighting it once it is already established is a losing battle. So if more vending machines kill people this year I would be very pleased, although a little worried about what people are doing with vending machines. The only way that is going to happen though is if we are overly cautious in order to stop the spread of this virus before it really starts hurting people.

Reactions: LAK26
What about all the deaths in the US alone this year due to pneumonia and influenza A are those not worries anymore? Because there are more deaths due to those then there is worldwide do to coronavirus.
Of course we are worried about them. But the percentage of people who die from them is significantly lower than the percentage who die from coronavirus. If we allow coronavirus to infect the same amount of people who get the flu every year the numbers tell us there will be millions of deaths. It is worse, much worse. If we allow it to spread there will be significantly more deaths than the flu or pneumonia. Plus right now we have little understanding of the virus itself. We have no vaccine. We are just unprepared for it because it is brand new. The biggest thing we know right now is that it spreads fast and is very deadly to the elderly.

Last edited:

The virus is just starting to spread though. Seems like limiting the spread of it is the main objective. Mortality rate aside, it could be a major stress on the health care system if the spread isn't controlled. Tough call to make. But once everyone else started canceling stuff, they really didn't have much choice. At least they didn't cancel the remainder of the tournament like others.

Reactions: sarcastico
Fair point. I reached a bit in my comparison as well. My main point stills stands. This is a new virus so of course the total numbers are low right now. They only way to keep them that way is to ensure we don't spread it. Large groups of people coming together will make it spread pretty fast. We need to get ahead of this thing because fighting it once it is already established is a losing battle. So if more vending machines kill people this year I would be very pleased, although a little worried about what people are doing with vending machines. The only way that is going to happen though is if we are overly cautious in order to stop the spread of this virus before it really starts hurting people.

Reactions: sarcastico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT