ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

Nov 30, 2002
What are some predictions???

1) Will the state keep districts the same or do some shuffling?

2) Will the state keep this year's play-off structure the same or go back to the 16 team field using the RPI?

3) Give me your top teams to watch next year?

Here are my answers....

1- I don't see a reason to change the districts at this point.

2- I honestly liked this year's format. It wasn't perfect given some of the rematches that happened early on.....but other than that I thought it was way better than the RPI format. I hope they keep it next year especially given that COVID may still be a factor......although I hope we are in a MUCH better situation that this year.

3 - In no particular order my top teams for next year - SBL, Lewis Central, Harlan, North Scott, Grinnell, West Del., Pella, Decorah

1) Districts may see a few changes but nothing really noticeable

2) This years format was fun, but I have a hard time seeing them sticking with it. I have no inside information, other than it just seems if a majority of people enjoy it, the board doesn't do it.

3) Harlan, NS, Grinnell, and SBL would be my top 4 in no particular order

Districts will have to change some, just because we will have teams moving in and out of 3A, I believe that Solon will move back in 3A from 2A, and then I think that there is a good chance that Indianola and Fort Dodge could drop down from 4A. Those are teams that could be playoff contenders.

Personally I almost wish they would go away from districts the way that they have it now and let everyone play anyone that they wanted, then at the end of the season everyone gets into "districts" where the and the final 8 make "state".

I think that the top teams listed are all good, you can never leave out Xavier, and Webster City always is a challenger.

The district set-up for 2020 was a one-off, even before the pandemic. The IHSAA ran out of time to make a complete restructuring of the classes, so this year's plan was always a stopgap, with the understanding that they'd have a complete revamp from 2021 onwards.

Today I see the Iowa Football Coaches Association is recommending eight classes, six in 11-player and two in 8-player ... basically dividing the 48-ish largest schools into two classes between 5A and 4A, with that division not being by size but also by socioeconomic/success factors. Rearranging those schools will have an impact on who's in 3A, 2A, etc, which means those districts are going to have to change, too.

While they don't have a specific recommendation, the idea of an 8-game regular season with expanded playoff teams is also on the table. As far as playoffs go, while the IHSAA has been adamantly against bye weeks, they managed to deal with them in 2020, so ... does that mean a 24-team playoff field could be in the works? (I doubt it, but at least they proved it wouldn't ruin the entire playoff system.)

So, yeah ... I believe there will be significant changes to not only districts, but also classes next year.

harlan. they return allmost all the offense, including all the skilled....in the north scott game. they were only 20 yds difference in that game..7 interceptions will kill any team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT