ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

cidhawkeye

All District
Jun 21, 2009
Really just want the junk post off my screen. Even ignored they are most recent.
Who has what coming back?

MFL should be solid next season. Will lose their quarterback but bring back top two rbs who both rushed for over 1100 yards. Also bring back a lot of top tacklers from their defense

Really just want the junk post off my screen. Even ignored they are most recent.
Who has what coming back?
Yup. SERIOUSLY annoying! I would think something could be done about it. Hire a tech consulting firm to deal with it. You don't see this on other websites, at least nowhere near this extent.

Reactions: IGo42
MFL should be solid next season. Will lose their quarterback but bring back top two rbs who both rushed for over 1100 yards. Also bring back a lot of top tacklers from their defense
I agree. I only saw them in the quarters vs St. Ansgar but seeing how young their team was and their ability, they should be in the playoffs the next couple years. They may not be championship contenders (this goes to Regina as long as they are in class a), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the semi finals.

They dominated St. Ansgar most of the first half before everything that could go wrong did in the 3rd quarter. Two turnovers on kick returns, dropped passes, and penalties killed them, these are issues that can be fixed. When they weren't shooting themselves in the foot they looked like a quality team.

Their defensive line may want to bulk up a bit though.

I agree. I only saw them in the quarters vs St. Ansgar but seeing how young their team was and their ability, they should be in the playoffs the next couple years. They may not be championship contenders (this goes to Regina as long as they are in class a), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the semi finals.

They dominated St. Ansgar most of the first half before everything that could go wrong did in the 3rd quarter. Two turnovers on kick returns, dropped passes, and penalties killed them, these are issues that can be fixed. When they weren't shooting themselves in the foot they looked like a quality team.

Their defensive line may want to bulk up a bit though.

It will all depend on the new classifications as I think MFL could move back up to 1A

Looking at this season overall, three of the state champions dropped a class and then won a title.
Regina, OABCIG and North Scott. All three dropped a class and then went on to win this year.

Mason City Newman will be very good next year as well. Not sure I agree with Clayton Ridge though. Agree with MFL. Regina looses some studs that carried their team but assuming they will be able to reload to a certain degree. Wapsie will take a step back but likely make playoffs, but will be very good following year (lot of good sophomores but need experience).

Mason City Newman will be very good next year as well. Not sure I agree with Clayton Ridge though. Agree with MFL. Regina looses some studs that carried their team but assuming they will be able to reload to a certain degree. Wapsie will take a step back but likely make playoffs, but will be very good following year (lot of good sophomores but need experience).

Never said Clayton Ridge would be a top notch team, just responding to the original question on who had a lot coming back. I did see CR play last season and they had lots of solid juniors, both linemen and physical skill guys. I bet they surprise some people next year, probably not a Top 10 team, but likely a solid .500+ team.

Agree that Wapsie will probably take the biggest hit to graduation of any team in eastern Iowa, they were pretty much all seniors across their whole lineup. Wapsie always seems to reload, but it'll be tough to replace all those seniors in one year, but I guess MFL was able to do it.

I watched some Newman this year, very athletic skill kids.

Last edited:
Clayton Ridge did have an impressive win vs North Linn at the end of the season. North Linn has had a ton of athletes and success lately. Maybe not so much in football, but still an impressive win nonetheless

Another team with a ton of seniors that will take a big step back is ED -CO, I think they started like 10 or 11 seniors that played both ways. Looking at teams in Eastern Iowa MFL does return alot but heard they may be back up in 1A along with Bellevue. North Linn was pretty young and their record reflected it this year as was East Buc who had some top younger players out for the year. Another team that will be decent is Lisbon as they have a good group of young kids coming up.

The programs that are always good....will continue to be good....and everyone can name 5 of them off the top of their head. There will be some other good teams next year that have a good group coming through right now....Newman etc.

Not always the case.
Madrid used to be a powerhouse, but not anymore, 4 straight losing seasons. North Fayette used to be a powerhouse, but now 4 straight losing seasons.
EdCo and MFL used to be terrible.
But now EdCo is good, 2018 Semifinalist and playoff team the last 3 years straight.
MFL hadn't had a winning season in 26 years, now they are state quarterfinalists two years straight and maybe even better next year.

Coaches change, programs change, players change.

West Hancock will be solid in 2021. Expect them to be a bit better in 2021 than in 2020 (9-2 Quarterfinalists who lost a close one to Grundy Center). Not too many people expected them to be as good in 2020 after the 2019 title season and losing so many good seniors. A good nucleus is coming back. Every position on both sides of the ball has players back who contributed this season. Will lose some quality seniors like always.

Regina will be a tough out again. Lose some skill players but line is back; well coached. Grundy Center will be very good again. Newman will make some noise. Saint Ansgar always reloads.

Just heard from a friend that Lisbon fired their defensive coordinators. From what I saw this year, that was their strength. They do have a lot of good athletes coming back and gave Wapsie all they could handle, but if their offensive guys are running the show, they could be a really bad team!

Just heard from a friend that Lisbon fired their defensive coordinators. From what I saw this year, that was their strength. They do have a lot of good athletes coming back and gave Wapsie all they could handle, but if their offensive guys are running the show, they could be a really bad team!

If it's true, then he/they had to have done something outside of of coaching defense that caused their firing. They had a stout defense, couldn't have been because of lack of performance.

Reactions: RichardFitzwel
Finally got an update on this one from a friend who lives in Lisbon that their head coach fired 3 coaches (including both co-defensive coordinators) because they wanted the offense changed. Apparently there was strife between the offensive and defensive coaches this season and even over the last 2-3 about the direction of the offense and the coaching ability and effort of the offensive coaches. HC disagreed and let them all go. Rumor is that the kids are furious around town.

Finally got an update on this one from a friend who lives in Lisbon that their head coach fired 3 coaches (including both co-defensive coordinators) because they wanted the offense changed. Apparently there was strife between the offensive and defensive coaches this season and even over the last 2-3 about the direction of the offense and the coaching ability and effort of the offensive coaches. HC disagreed and let them all go. Rumor is that the kids are furious around town.
Sounds toxic.

While Lisbon has a semi successful season there has been a clear drop off since Alison left, I could see that getting ugly.

Reactions: EIHCGuy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT