ADVERTISEMENT

New Alignments

I think it depends if 4a goes away from conferences. Rumor has it that Xavier, Assumption and Wahlert will drop to 3a...

Oh great then we will have 4 schools just a like in the eastern part of the state Xavier.Assumption.Wahlert and Solon.

if they are under 700 BEDS they will drop to what ever class they fit in. Assumption would drop to 2A. North Scott is another one that is close.

IF 4A goes away from conferences, then my guess is that the top 48 will play 4A, and the "700" BEDS rule will not exist anymore. It will put football in line with other sports that use top 48.

The point of that 700 rule is that it kept 4A conference together, but that won't matter if they stop using football conferences.

So which 4A schools are not currently in the top 48 enrollment, and which 3A schools are? (I don't have time right now to look)

Xavier, Wahlert and Assumption are only 4A schools because of their conference affiliation. They choose to play in the MVC and MAC so they played 4A football (played up if you will).

If The east side goes to Districts and the Boys in Boone go by the 700 bed number for the cut off, then Lewis Central will probably go to 4A but that would leave only 46 schools.

If they drop the 700 bed number and go to the top 48 largest schools then Lewis Central, Newton, and Norwalk will all go to 4A if they want to keep 48 schools.

This is all based off of this years bed numbers.

I see Xavier, Wahlert and Assumption playing 3A football next year. I think technically Assumption could play 2A, But I need to check that.

This post was edited on 11/13 4:02 PM by Rembrandt52328

#1 is Valley at 2147
#48 is Xavier (currently at 593)

Something to throw out there is an example of the number of kids out for say football at:

Xavier (86) BEDS see above
CR Jefferson (44)
ICWest (56)
Bett (64)
WDM Vall (76) BEDS see above

The smallest school in 4A has more kids out for it than the largest school in 4A.

Do you think the state might make 5 classes for boys athletics like they did for girls?

BEDS

I don't see the State making a new class for football unless they do something like make 2 classes of 8-man. I think there is a greater disparity there than there is in the upper classes.

I think you can attribute the participation numbers at Xavier to Success and more importantly Coaching!

Personally I think the state should make schools like Xavier, Assumption, Wahlert, and Heelan play 4A football, Assumption and Xavier were a combined 16-2 in the regular season and Xavier will probably at least make the 4A title game, Heelan beat 3 4A playoff teams this year, and Wahlert while not the football tradition as the others is always competitive in 4A.

I would also make schools like Regina and Beckman play 3A for what it is worth. The state needs to have some formula for parochial schools combining enrollment and population of the area the school draws students from.

Originally posted by Rembrandt52328:
I don't see the State making a new class for football unless they do something like make 2 classes of 8-man. I think there is a greater disparity there than there is in the upper classes.

I think you can attribute the participation numbers at Xavier to Success and more importantly Coaching!
Valley and Bett have had some pretty good success\history I would think good coaching as well...

Originally posted by PNation:
Personally I think the state should make schools like Xavier, Assumption, Wahlert, and Heelan play 4A football, Assumption and Xavier were a combined 16-2 in the regular season and Xavier will probably at least make the 4A title game, Heelan beat 3 4A playoff teams this year, and Wahlert while not the football tradition as the others is always competitive in 4A.

I would also make schools like Regina and Beckman play 3A for what it is worth. The state needs to have some formula for parochial schools combining enrollment and population of the area the school draws students from.
NTSA

Shadow,

I totally agree with you. I know some of the coaches at Bett and they are a huge part of the reason they are successful.

But my original comments were in regards to success of program when a school is at the enrollment level like Xavier where they are really a 3A school playing 4A football.

Bett and Valley are historically strong and successful programs, but being 2 of the largest schools in Iowa doesn't hurt.

If everyone wants to slap a Multiplier on the Private Schools well Fine! But don't look at other states to see that they do it because Iowa is not like those states. Illinois' rules on open enrollment are different and they have 5 times as many schools.

One suggestion was a private school championship. That makes no sense because there are far too few Private Schools, and they range in size from one of the largest to one of the smallest.

SO back to your post Yes, Valley and Bett have a very good success and history that you can attribute to coaching and dedication of their players and families.

As a Xavier Fan and Supporter I know our school, coaches, and players look forward to playing Bettendorf in the Semis. They all want to try their best to win and get the chance to play Valley or Dowling in the finals because they want to play the best.

Xaviers has 86 Juniors and Seniors out for Varsity Football and approx. 40 out for Freshman football and 40 out for Sophomore football.

Originally posted by Team10:
meandmyshadow are those # for 10-12 kids out for football??
Yes, MaxPreps list the Roster size for schools. Amazing to see some of the larger programs with low numbers and smaller programs with large numbers. I agree that success and such play a big part in participation #'s.

thanks for info on #'s. Also there is already 6 classes for football so I dont see them going doing anything different.

I have seen lots of people say Assumption might be a 2A school if the east side goes to districts, but I'm not sure where that's coming from.

Assumption's BEDS number for 2012/13 (which is used for this year's classification) is 359. That's solidly in the range of Solon (376), Carroll (362), Vinton-Shellsburg (351), and Independence (331). Those are all 3A schools. Unless there's a big drop in the freshman class at Assumption this year, they look like a solid 3A as far as enrollment goes.

That is all.

Originally posted by meandmyshadow:
#1 is Valley at 2147

Something to throw out there is an example of the number of kids out for say football at:

CR Jefferson (44)
ICWest (56)
Bett (64)

The smallest school in 4A has more kids out for it than the largest school in 4A.

Do you think the state might make 5 classes for boys athletics like they did for girls?
So Xavier is about a 3A-sized school in enrollment; roughly the size of Heelan..maybe a little bigger. It's impressive that they can get the level of participation in football that they do, given their size. It speaks of their leadership; Heelan should have a lot more kids out for football than they do, given it's size. Good-sized freshman & sophomore classes this year hopefully spell the end of the relatively low numbers of upperclassmen on the varsity & lack of depth that accompanies it.

How many sophomores were playing on Xavier's varsity team? How many players--especially linemen--played both ways?

Originally posted by cruhawk:
Originally posted by meandmyshadow:
#1 is Valley at 2147

CR Jefferson (44)
ICWest (56)
Bett (64)

So Xavier is about a 3A-sized school in enrollment; roughly the size of Heelan..maybe a little bigger. It's impressive that they can get the level of participation in football that they do, given their size. It speaks of their leadership; Heelan should have a lot more kids out for football than they do, given it's size. Good-sized freshman & sophomore classes this year hopefully spell the end of the relatively low numbers of upperclassmen on the varsity & lack of depth that accompanies it.

How many sophomores were playing on Xavier's varsity team? How many players--especially linemen--played both ways?
Not even close. Heelan BEDS number is 402. Also,Xavier has more kids out in their upper classes then Heelan has out in 9-12 (78).

Originally posted by cruhawk
Xavier had no sophomores on their varsity roster. The 86 guys listed were all juniors and seniors. Partway through the season, they did bring up a freshman quarterback, and they have five sophomores dressing with the varsity for the playoffs, but that's it. In addition to the 86 on the varsity roster, Xavier had around 40 guys each on the sophomore and freshman teams. Just about half of the entire male student body went out for football this year, which is really something.

With those numbers, they only had one player (Matt Nelson) go both ways, at tight end and defensive end. They had the luxury of being able to have fresh players on almost all of their special teams, too, to get more guys on the field.

Dowling also only had one player go both ways this year, it is a huge advantage even at the 4A level.

Correction: Xavier is currently 52nd at 536 (BEDS) and projected to go down by a few next year. Feeder schools are a little down in numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT