year, the league's oldest school will have Warriors coming up the ladder in the
midst of uncertainty at the helm. A talented sophomore class makes the
transition to varsity speed and the coaching staff has mere months to
regroup.

Dubuque Senior - With 1237
students in 9-11 for the 2011-12 school year, the league's 2nd oldest school is
returning a lot of firepower from its 7-3 season. And the reverse
schedule. Look for the Rams to butt heads, with many of last year's
overtime games (wins for DS) just as tough as last year.

Waterloo East - With 817
students in 9-11 for the 2011-12 school year, the league's shining star (back
in the 60's) and worst by far (more recent losing streak a few years back) will
have to be more consistent across the year ahead. A promising outlook
for 2013, as has been the case for the past few
years.

Cedar Falls - With 1059 students
in 9-11 for the 2011-12 school year and the longest serving head coach, the
Tigers look to reload with lots of talent back on defense and the offense
looking to reap the benefit of last year's extra games. Tigers have to figure out how to get past Xavier, as they have done most years.

City High - With 1022 students
in 9-11 for the 2011-12 school year and the most state titles from the MVC
since 2000, the Little Hawks had their wings clipped in 2012.
Look
for the talons to be sharp and flying high in 2013, with the program hoping for
a healthier start right out of the gate as they challenge Cedar Falls in the
opener.

Waterloo West - With 1224 students
in 9-11 for the 2011-12 school year and strong participation in many grades, do
the Wahawks bring a breakout year to the table? I think they do, but
the schedule is a tough one, so the record might swing on some close
games. One of the better coaching staffs in the league.

CR Prairie - With 1029 students in 9-11 for
the 2011-12 school year and a super strong finish to last year, look for the Hawks to try to start the season with the same momentum. The difficulties in doing that are tied to a tough schedule in the middle. Last year the Hawks had the most swagger in the league and had an epic comeback against DS and huge upset against ICW before falling to CRX.

CR Jefferson - With 1158 students in 9-11 for the 2011-12 school year and a new coach trying to right the ship beginning last year, the J-Hawks should aim for the playoffs and a healthy season. We'll see.

Linn Mar and Dubuque Wahlert - LM with 1373 students in 9-11 for the 2011-12 school year and DW with 460 students in 9-11 for the 2011-12 school year. LM coming off a building year with a fair amount of speed back. DW coming off one of the worst injury laden years with talent, but not depth. I'm looking for upper middle of the pack for LM and lower middle of the pack for DW.

CR Kennedy - With 1333 students in 9-11 for the 2011-12 school year and with about the third season in a row finishing strong, the Cougars really need to get moving ahead from the very first game. This should be a strong squad for CRK, but they have to get out of the blocks.

IC West - With 1316 students in 9-11 for the 2011-12 school year and with a plethora of state championships in a variety of sports, can the Trojans "reload" from their stellar season and having lost a healthy group of seniors. A favorable schedule helps, as does a good feeder system and the exposure to state championship play in so many sports. Look for the Trojans to do okay, with the real tests later in the season.

Dubuque Hempstead - With 1237 students in 9-11 for the 2011-12 school year and with a couple of disappointing years in a row the Mustangs should be ready to kick their way into contention. The problem is the other teams who seem to be well prepared and ready to tame the ponies.

CR Xavier - With 593 students in 9-11 for the 2011-12 school year and losing their biggest class ever, the Saints have to recover from losing the Championship game and all of their All-State captains. They do have some returnees and a solid youth program, but the challenge will be set upon their leadership to push ahead each and every week. The Saints do return the majority of the defensive squad which was amongst the toughest in the State, but have lots of holes to fill.

My picks?
CRX and CF at the top of the crop
DS, CRK and ICW in the next tier.
LM, CRW, ICH and WW looking to crack into the upper ranges.
CRP, WE and DW capable of screaming up the polls.
CRJ and DH with something to prove over the course of the whole season.

Who knows!

I look for Dubuque Hempstead to come out with fire in their eyes this fall. They have an excellent backfield and lots of experience. Last year (a year filled with multiple critical injuries and a new coach) was an embarrassment for he Mustangs, who haven't been at the bottom of the league like last year in about forty years.. I predict several wins for the Mustangs this year for this proud bunch with a big chip on their shoulders.

Dubuque Hempstead starts out at home against CR Xavier. They will need fire in their eyes, fire in their belly and fire in the feet. I think it is a newly renovated Dalziell Field *turf and locker rooms", so I'm hoping the fire doesn't destroy the improvements in the facility.

My pick is that CR Xavier will have plenty of firemen to put the fire out. I'm picking the Saints over the Mustangs in the opener.

Two MVC threads going here, but I totally agree with loco60. Xavier has completely had Hempstead's number the last decade, and most games have been total blowouts won by the Saints. I think the Mustangs will be greatly improved, but the opener will be downright ugly for the Green and Gold, and not a good way for Dalzell Field to open if you are a local fan. Of course, I could be wrong, but Xavier will be as hungry as they have ever been, after losing in the championship game last year on an ill-timed pass interception against Ankeny, which won in a squeaker.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT