ADVERTISEMENT

Meskwaki Settlement School

mtdew_fever

All District
Jul 14, 2004
Has anyone seen this school play yet? They continue to win in a convincing fashion.

I will admit, they have played lower Class 1A tier talent so far. We'll see how they do against Colo-Nesco later on this month.

caflyboy 7 - wow....first post of your career and you deleted it? Wow....it must have been pretty bad.

Originally posted by caflyboy7:

This post was edited on 1/16 1:49 PM by caflyboy7

I haven't seen them play, but I think the record is definitely a little inflated. Janesville is the only decent win and they play similar opponents.

Cal Latimer struggles to put a competitive team on the court most years. Valley Lutheran is in its 2nd or 3rd year of basketball. Waterloo Christian has gotten smaller and less competitive in sports over the years. Garwin GMG, North Tama, and Don Bosco have never been good basketball programs. Clarksville has been bad and losing McGraw to Waterloo East didn't help the situation. Northeast Hamilton has struggle with sports participation the last 3-4 years. Dunkerton has a few good seasons from time to time, but usually they are a average team. Tripoli has some up and down seasons as well. Colo-Nesco is having a solid season, but similar to Dunkerton in that they are hit and miss.

I am a Meskwaki alum and have seen the boys play a few times. This is the school's fifth year having a program, and have a good group of Juniors that have been excellent since being freshmen. Last year, they were the only team to beat Dunkerton (state runner up) besides West Lyon, who won the state championship.

This year, the conference is down, but Colo and Janesville are the better opponents on the schedule. Meskwaki beat Janesville by five last week, but Meskwaki had a bad game and let Janesville hang around. Jan. 29 and Feb. 13 are two big dates for Meskwaki, as they are the matchups with Colo! Colo is receiving more votes and getting better recognition than Meskwaki, but play similar opponents. They will definitely be two good games and will decide conference champs!

Also, North Tama had a solid team a few years back with the Boerm brothers and Hefty's. And again, Dunkerton was state runner up last year, and Meskwaki was beating them by 23 in the third quarter and won by 12+. I understand someone viewing the record as inflated, but trust me when I say these boys can play. It's actually a relief to finally see someone post about the school and 1A basketball. Basketball forum seems to be big on 4A and 3A lol

This post was edited on 1/22 7:57 PM by Kakiyosata

Kaiyosata - thanks for the post.

How much size does your old school have? What do they do well?

Blue Devil - Okay, West Lyon won the state title. Simple mistake! Facts were slightly off, but anyone with the knowledge would've known I mixed them up with Central Lyon. No offense, so tone it down.

-But yes, I played against Mitchell Boerm and NT. And they were a really solid team, as well as a few years before. With Luke Hefty and Brenden Boerm. Meskwaki isn't extremely tall as some of the surrounding schools, for example.. I recently talked with a coach from Montezuma and he told me Belle Plaine has two 6'5 post. Tallest athlete for Meskwaki would be 6'1 with shoes on lol but the boys play at different tempos and can run the floor well. There hasn't ever been too much astounding height for the Meskwaki boys other than Vinny Lasley a few years back.

Won't matter the 1a title is coming from the winner of Boyden-Hull & Central Lyon winner in district 1

I am from the area and I know that there has always been basketball on the settlement way before the school became what it is. They have kids that have played a lot of ball, and will always have a good following from tribal members.

Last night Colo Nesco beat Meskwaki by 5 which was a hell of a game and good one to watch. Passionate fans on both sides of the gym! I have read more than a handful of posters say Meskwaki's record is inflated or they're overrated, but CN plays the same schedule as Meskwaki, yet they were ranked five spots ahead. What's the justification there? Not a complaint, but a serious question.

Last night, Meskwaki was the better team on the court. And I've never been the one to cry wolf or put the blame on others and usually look at missed opportunities more then anything, but the officiating was not good at all to say the least. Yes, Meskwaki presses. Yes, Meskwaki plays aggresive. But, there were multiple times the refs had made beyond questionable calls, and ultimately started to anticipate a call. Here are a few numbers..

CN Team Fouls: 11 Meskwaki Team Fouls: 28
CN Free Throws M/A: 20-39 Meskwaki Free Throws M/A: 7-8

Marshalltown Times Republican had the teams fouls --- CN: 9 & Meskwaki: 28

3 of 5 starters fouled out for Meskwaki, and 1 was in the 3rd quarter. Anyone at the game could tell you who the better team was, and I'm trying to be unbiased as possible, but it's hard to deny the fact that the officiating was no where near good or even decent. I have never said after a game, "Oh yes, I can't wait to go back to that gym because they have good refs", or anything of that sort and no one ever has. Because, no matter what, there will always be someone that disagrees with a ref's call, but last night there were one too many that shouldn't have been called or were called due to the anticipation of a foul.
There were a few instances where a Meskwaki player went to block a shot, but didn't touch the player. And yes, I was standing the entire game and had a good angle. No body, no arm, nothing. But, by all means, it was a great game and both teams played their tails off! Just hated leaving the gym with the taste in my mouth that it was 5 vs. 8 on the court. Cannot wait for the second matchup between the two teams on Feb. 13th. It will be another good game in Meskwaki's gym. So, take the numbers from the game and judge for yourself, but understand that if you were at the game, you could understand my full point of view. Go Warriors!

I'm from Jesup and have seen all their games. This team is very young and could easily be 15-1 right now if they didnt have to play the first part of the season without their only veteren and if they could learn to close out games. They were the MUCH better team against G-R. They can be very dangerous if they learn to finish games in districts.

Teams that are aggressive and press will likely always have more fouls. Obviously I didn't see the game, so I haven't a clue on how questionable the call were.

Either way, I think the Meskwaki Settlement School has a real shot a making some damage in their Substate.

The seeding for this district is as follows:
1.G-R
2.Meskwaki
3.Jesup
4.North Tama
5.GMG
6.Grundy Center
7.Waterloo Christian
8.BCLUW
9.Don Bosco

If the state pairs the district by seeding.
Play-in game
8.BCL vs. 9.Bosco

1st round
1.GR vs. winner of BCL/Bosco
4.N. Tama vs. 5.GMG
3.Jesup vs. 6.Grundy
2.Meskwaki vs. 7.Waterloo Christian

Thanks for all the info fellas! I agree in part by saying that Jesup's record is misleading. After doing the math, I did see Jesup was up on GR by 9 going into the 4th! They definitely have the size to matchup with GR.

And if you were at the game, you could see how many calls were questionable by a large margin, and yes, there were some that were the right calls. Don't get me wrong by thinking I'm saying every call was wrong, they weren't. BUT, I hate to have a game decided by officials. Nonetheless, I look forward to Feb. 13th when CN and Meskwaki play again on Top of the Hill in Tama. CN will have to play a decent Janesville team beforehand, so that'll be a good game as well.

It appears to me there are a few people that automatically assume GR has this district in the bag, I and other can beg to differ. On Meskwaki and Jesup's part! Look forward to the post season!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT