ADVERTISEMENT

March 2- 3A Substate Finals- Scores and Comments

Final - Norwalk 71 - DCG 57. Looks like Born will get his last chance to shine at the State Tournament. I can't wait to watch!

Reactions: RJV2324
Center Point- Urbana 78, Marion 70 in 3OT
Mt. Vernon vs Central DeWitt started at 8 o'clock; these four are all Wamac teams
Harlan 60, Denison-Schleswig 58 Wow
Norwalk 71, Dallas Center- Grimes 57
Pella 62, Oskaloosa 57; these last four are all Little Hawkeye teams
Sergeant Bluff- Luten 61, LeMars 46.
Two more 3A finals are Wednesday night-- Davenport Assumption vs. Clear Creek- Amana and Ballard vs. Clear Lake.

Last edited:
I think you have that wrong. The Marion vs Center Point Urbana game went 3 overtimes with Urbana winning 78-70.

DeWitt vs Mount Vernon is just starting.
Thank you for correcting. I was streaming a different game at the time and either the radio guys had it wrong or I misheard it -- likely the latter.

Six 3A teams go to state tonight, and two more tomorrow. Post your scores and comments.
Assuming the winners of tomorrow nights final two substate finalsm, here is the field:

Pella
SBL
CPU
Mt. Vernon
Norwalk
Harlan
Assumption
Clear Lake

How do you seed it? I like:

Norwalk
Pella
Assumption
Mt.Vernon
SBL
CPU
Clear Lake
Harlan

Should be a great tournament next week. I'm picking Norwalk and Bowen Born to win it all...goes out a state champion and Mr. Basketball!

Assuming the winners of tomorrow nights final two substate finalsm, here is the field:

Pella
SBL
CPU
Mt. Vernon
Norwalk
Harlan
Assumption
Clear Lake

How do you seed it? I like:

Norwalk
Pella
Assumption
Mt.Vernon
SBL
CPU
Clear Lake
Harlan

Should be a great tournament next week. I'm picking Norwalk and Bowen Born to win it all...goes out a state champion and Mr. Basketball!
I don't think you can put MV any lower than #2. They were #2 in the last AP poll and came through the most loaded Substate bracket.

I think a lot of folks would want Pela and Norwalk in opposite brackets so they "can play for the title," but I think dtk913 has a great point-- substate #4 was loaded and Mt. Vernon was #2 in the state and #1 on this site. Won by 1 on a tip-in at the buzzer against Wahlert and by 2 over DeWitt which demolished Xavier, surprisingly. MV deserves a seed right behind Norwalk, which has a "once in a generation" player for them. Dav. Assumption will also get a very high seed, finishing #2 in the MAC behind North Scott. If they win.

Last edited:
I think a lot of folks would want Pela and Norwalk in opposite brackets so they "can play for the title," but I think dtk913 has a great point-- substate #4 was loaded and Mt. Vernon was #2 in the state and #1 on this site. Won by 1 on a tip-in at the buzzer against Wahlert and by 2 over DeWitt which demolished Xavier, surprisingly. MV deserves a seed right behind Norwalk, which has a "once in a generation" player for them. Dav. Assumption will also get a very high seed, finishing #2 in the MAC behind North Scott. If they win.
bcmoore ranks Substate #1 the best of all 3A substates , for whatever it is worth...

Mount Vernon 52 Dewitt Central 50

Sounds like one hell of a ball game. I didn't realize that Grady Gallagher was the head coach of Central Dewitt. I still remember his 40 point game against Boyden Hull in substate in 2011, Van Roekel hit a half courter to end it. Buzzer beaters aren't his friend in substate games.

Sounds like one hell of a ball game. I didn't realize that Grady Gallagher was the head coach of Central Dewitt. I still remember his 40 point game against Boyden Hull in substate in 2011, Van Roekel hit a half courter to end it. Buzzer beaters aren't his friend in substate games.
One of the craziest stat lines I’ve ever seen. Gallagher had 46, another guy had 18 and the only other scorer had 3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT