ADVERTISEMENT

Lakes Conference

ISUChip

All American
May 29, 2001
Western asking out at the end of 2021-22 year. That will leave the Lakes with 5 schools.

No apparent inkling where the Indians Wolfpack are looking -- but if travel is truly their big issue, then it would seem that the Siouxland or War Eagle are the only options.

Western has wanted to join the Siouxland for years but it was never accepted. Now that they are officially leaving the Lakes conference they, along with Unity, can almost force the Siouxland to take them in.

Western has wanted to join the Siouxland for years but it was never accepted. Now that they are officially leaving the Lakes conference they, along with Unity, can almost force the Siouxland to take them in.

Would there be a tougher boys basketball conference in the state? Boyden-Hull, Rock Valley, Western, Unity, Central Lyon, West Lyon -- and then Sheldon, Sioux Center, and MOC-FV in the mix every so often.

The Lakes also has to be on the verge of dissolving. So the other question is where will the last 5 end up?

If something was going to happen I could see Okoboji going to the Lakes and if they could possibly pick up HMS and HLP it would be better for them. I don't really see HMS or HLP joining them though so.

The Siouxland would be a brutal schedule for sure if this happened. The cross town rivalry itself would be wild.

HMS and definitely HLP won't want to go to the Lakes just because they know they won't be able to compete even in such a small conference when you have Spirit Lake, Spencer, and Storm Lake. I would think that the Lakes conference will disband here in a few years.

If the Siouxland doesn't accept Western can they just be an independent or do you have to belong to a conference?

The Lakes Conference 15-20 years ago was such a wonderful place to be. Seasons where HWC, Emmetsburg, Sheldon, and Le Mars were all top 10 basketball teams battling each week... and now they're all gone. Makes me very sad.

I could see HWC wanting to be independent. But I do not know the rules about that. Can they be?

If HWC is unable to be independent.. I think they will ultimately end up in the Siouxland. It makes the most sense geographically and competitively. However, I don't think the Siouxland members will accept them in via vote - I think it will come down to the state having to get involved and force Siouxland to take HWC.

I do not think HWC wants to go to the War Eagle. Sure, getting rival Unity in the same conference would be good for them, but outside of that, HWC would just be so out of place in that conference and I don't think HWC wants to be there.

HWC could theoretically want to join the MRAC - but doubt this is on their mind, as this would worsen their travel issues, which are what they say is their main reason for leaving the Lakes.

So for HWC, it's independent (if allowed), Siouxland, or War Eagle. I know which I'd rather see.

Now, regarding the Lakes. I think that Spencer and Storm Lake will lobby HARD for other schools to join the Lakes instead of the school disbanding.

Spencer and Storm Lake are just simply too far from other 2A/3A/4A conferences. The MRAC to the west, NCC to the east, and the Raccoon River and Hawkeye 10 to the south just open up major travel issues. I just don't see them choosing to jump to one of those due to travel, nor do I see those conferences accepting them with the drive time associated with it. I also do not see Spencer and Storm Lake joining smaller conferences like Twin Lakes or War Eagle, etc. They would be huge fish in tiny ponds, and I don't see conference members from these approving them to join, so again - it could come down to the state if the Lakes would disband.

But I don't think the Lakes will disband. I think they will push hard to get schools to join for the reasons above. Look for them to reach out to Okoboji, Newell-Fonda, Alta-Aurelia, Humboldt, Pocahontas, and maybe Algona to try and fill vacancies. If they get desperate, they could ask smaller schools, too, like Sioux Rapids, HMS, HLP, SOB, etc.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

The only way Western and Unity get into the Siouxland is if the state steps in. I believe it is written into the bylaws of the Siouxland that no private schools are to be admitted. Some of those rules were written when much of the Siouxland was still 1A and Western and Unity were 2A or 3A. Scheduling as an independent is a nightmare, which is why Western joined the Lakes, so I don't see going it alone, at least not for very long. Western does not want anything to do with the War Eagle. Aside from Unity and West Sioux, the schools are just too small. The MRAC would take them and is a much better fit from a competition standpoint. The travel to Sioux City and LeMars isn't so bad. If you do the CB trip as a Friday/Saturday with a "travel partner" it would be doable. However, being able to stay within 40 miles of Hull, would just make the most sense.
My opinion is that the Siouxland should reorganize. GLR fits better in the War Eagle and Okoboji is a natural for the Lakes. Adding Western and Unity fits better geographically and from a competition standpoint.

The Lakes Conference 15-20 years ago was such a wonderful place to be. Seasons where HWC, Emmetsburg, Sheldon, and Le Mars were all top 10 basketball teams battling each week... and now they're all gone. Makes me very sad.

I could see HWC wanting to be independent. But I do not know the rules about that. Can they be?

If HWC is unable to be independent.. I think they will ultimately end up in the Siouxland. It makes the most sense geographically and competitively. However, I don't think the Siouxland members will accept them in via vote - I think it will come down to the state having to get involved and force Siouxland to take HWC.

I do not think HWC wants to go to the War Eagle. Sure, getting rival Unity in the same conference would be good for them, but outside of that, HWC would just be so out of place in that conference and I don't think HWC wants to be there.

HWC could theoretically want to join the MRAC - but doubt this is on their mind, as this would worsen their travel issues, which are what they say is their main reason for leaving the Lakes.

So for HWC, it's independent (if allowed), Siouxland, or War Eagle. I know which I'd rather see.

Now, regarding the Lakes. I think that Spencer and Storm Lake will lobby HARD for other schools to join the Lakes instead of the school disbanding.

Spencer and Storm Lake are just simply too far from other 2A/3A/4A conferences. The MRAC to the west, NCC to the east, and the Raccoon River and Hawkeye 10 to the south just open up major travel issues. I just don't see them choosing to jump to one of those due to travel, nor do I see those conferences accepting them with the drive time associated with it. I also do not see Spencer and Storm Lake joining smaller conferences like Twin Lakes or War Eagle, etc. They would be huge fish in tiny ponds, and I don't see conference members from these approving them to join, so again - it could come down to the state if the Lakes would disband.

But I don't think the Lakes will disband. I think they will push hard to get schools to join for the reasons above. Look for them to reach out to Okoboji, Newell-Fonda, Alta-Aurelia, Humboldt, Pocahontas, and maybe Algona to try and fill vacancies. If they get desperate, they could ask smaller schools, too, like Sioux Rapids, HMS, HLP, SOB, etc.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

I don’t see why they would ask Newell or Alta if HMS, SOB and Sioux Central are desperate reaches based on size. Those schools are in the same category size wise. In fact didn’t Sioux Central qualify for state basketball in 2a a couple years ago?

If Unity and WC both appeal to the state, or if one of them does, and the state shoves them into the Siouxland you can say goodbye to the Siouxland conference. Sheldon got out of the lakes to get away from WC and BH as well as RV do not want to be in the same conference with WC-. Nobody would benefit from WC joining when they are all part of the same community. I see the Siouxland breaking up into a whole new conference and leaving WC sitting on the sidelines with a few other schools. Its too bad that they think they can shove their weight around to get where they want.

I think this came up a couple years ago when LeMars left.
If I remember correctly, a school can claim hardship if they can't schedule games & have the state intervene.

• If teams were willing to play them, I think Western would be OK as an independent.
  • They're already playing a bunch of South Dakota schools who actually want good competition, but there was a time where Western was driving across the state to find games too.
  • I do think more Siouxland teams would play them if their schedule wasn't completely tied up by having to play their weaker conference opponents twice.
  • MOC (and soon Sioux Center) will be big 3A teams playing little 1A teams 2X each year, which isn't great for either of them.
My preference would be a bigger Siouxland Conference with 2 divisions: East/West, playing H/H in own division & once cross-division.
East: Boji, Sibley-Och, GLR, Sheldon, Western, MOC-FV
West: West Lyon, Cental Lyon, Rock Valley, Boyden-Hull, Sioux Center, Unity
*Avoids same-town conflict, frees dates to seek out games that will be more even competition, & there's going to be a great game to watch every night somewhere.

Alternative: 6 biggest schools in same division.

Reactions: NWIA_37 and RJV2324
I think this came up a couple years ago when LeMars left.
If I remember correctly, a school can claim hardship if they can't schedule games & have the state intervene.

• If teams were willing to play them, I think Western would be OK as an independent.
  • They're already playing a bunch of South Dakota schools who actually want good competition, but there was a time where Western was driving across the state to find games too.
  • I do think more Siouxland teams would play them if their schedule wasn't completely tied up by having to play their weaker conference opponents twice.
  • MOC (and soon Sioux Center) will be big 3A teams playing little 1A teams 2X each year, which isn't great for either of them.
My preference would be a bigger Siouxland Conference with 2 divisions: East/West, playing H/H in own division & once cross-division.
East: Boji, Sibley-Och, GLR, Sheldon, Western, MOC-FV
West: West Lyon, Cental Lyon, Rock Valley, Boyden-Hull, Sioux Center, Unity
*Avoids same-town conflict, frees dates to seek out games that will be more even competition, & there's going to be a great game to watch every night somewhere.

Alternative: 6 biggest schools in same division.

I would call that a pipe dream. If you think GLR would be willing to be in a division with WC you are out of your mind. Seriously, Sibley, Boji, and GLR with WC- are you kidding? And Sheldon LEFT the lakes to get away from WC.

I am telling you- if WC tries to pull the "feel sorry for us- we left the Lakes and need a conference" move the Siouxland will be DONE. WC will not be getting in with them. The Siouxland will dissolve and there will be a major re-alignment in NW Iowa. Now you may think it would be awesome for basketball- which it possibly could be some years- it would be awful for Volleyball. It will not happen. Like I said earlier, if they try to get in- it is over.
My prediction: BH, WL, CL, RV, Sheldon, maybe Sibley, possibly West Sioux, maybe an Okoboji.

GLR to the War Eagle

WC, Unity, MOC, Sioux Center- not sure where they end up at.

I'm not sure how you could really claim 'hardship' when you voluntarily left another conference that seems like it was willing to keep you. Would Okoboji be interested in going to the Lakes with WC gone? They fit pretty well geographically and its not too much of a stretch enrollment wise.

My kids are done playing at Western, so I'm more out of the loop now, and I'm not speaking for anyone at the school, just giving my opinion.

I think the responses here will show that a lot of people have a chip on their shoulder about playing/losing to Western. Several Siouxland schools have blackballed their entry into the Siouxland previously at the urging of a few coaches who would rather have a couple more cupcake wins than play good competition.

Have talked to many others who would love to get Western on their schedule. Good competition, and a huge gate when they play them at home.

The whole "recruiting our players" argument is weak.
I can count on 1 finger the number of BB players that left the public school system to play at Western.
It would take several hands to count those who went from a Christian elementary school to a public HS.

I also don't agree with the private school parents squawking about paying property taxes to fund the public schools. We knew the deal when we signed up! We voluntarily pay extra to give our kids a faith-based education.
Personally, I vote YES on every bond issue. It makes the whole community better.
Support the voucher system if you're not happy.

I would call that a pipe dream. If you think GLR would be willing to be in a division with WC you are out of your mind. Seriously, Sibley, Boji, and GLR with WC- are you kidding? And Sheldon LEFT the lakes to get away from WC.
Agree. 6 biggest school is fine by me. You can even put Western in the big 6 regardless of their enrollment. Shelden is a huge chickensh*t if they left because of that.

I am telling you- if WC tries to pull the "feel sorry for us- we left the Lakes and need a conference" move the Siouxland will be DONE. WC will not be getting in with them. The Siouxland will dissolve and there will be a major re-alignment in NW Iowa. Now you may think it would be awesome for basketball- which it possibly could be some years- it would be awful for Volleyball. It will not happen. Like I said earlier, if they try to get in- it is over.
My prediction: BH, WL, CL, RV, Sheldon, maybe Sibley, possibly West Sioux, maybe an Okoboji.
It's not sympathy. IMO Western sees the Lakes dying out anyway & would rather drive 10 miles on a Tues night in January to play a good team, than 90 miles to trounce someone.
If the few Siouxland teams that used to play Western wouldn't have dropped them, it wouldn't be needed either.
Agree that volleyball will be ugly for a lot of match-ups.

A major realignment by size/distance would be OK with me.

Agree. 6 biggest school is fine by me. You can even put Western in the big 6 regardless of their enrollment. Shelden is a huge chickensh*t if they left because of that.

It's not sympathy. IMO Western sees the Lakes dying out anyway & would rather drive 10 miles on a Tues night in January to play a good team, than 90 miles to trounce someone.
If the few Siouxland teams that used to play Western wouldn't have dropped them, it wouldn't be needed either.
Agree that volleyball will be ugly for a lot of match-ups.

A major realignment by size/distance would be OK with me.

Like I said earlier- Siouxland teams just don't want WC. It would not be good for towns such as Hull and RV. Too much business and work done between people from both schools. Just like MOC doesn't want Unity in.

And stop with the "teams don't want to play WC because they lose" argument. Last 2 years for them- 0-2 in District boys basketball with losses to middle of the pack Siouxland teams.

I am just saying that Siouxland teams don't want them in. They like the tradition and regularity of 10 teams and round robin playing. Any bigger and you don't play everyone twice. And when WC had a conference and now is trying to say we can't get in, will petition the state to get their way. Don't reward them.

I'm just telling you right now- none of the Siouxland teams will be in a conference with WC- they will all leave and form their own and let WC deal with it themselves.

Like I said earlier- Siouxland teams just don't want WC. It would not be good for towns such as Hull and RV. Too much business and work done between people from both schools. Just like MOC doesn't want Unity in.
That's just a sad outlook to have. You can't do business with someone because of the school they support?
How about Democrat/Republican? Vikings/Packers?

I get along great with ALL of my neighbors & do business with everyone in town.
I cheer for ALL the NW Iowa schools come state tourney time.
If you don't, I think its time to look inward a little.

And stop with the "teams don't want to play WC because they lose" argument. Last 2 years for them- 0-2 in District boys basketball with losses to middle of the pack Siouxland teams.
Agree. Western would have been middle of the Siouxland pack lately. Over the last 2 decades, they'd be top tier, but not dominant. I think SC BB dropped them for exactly that reason though.

I am just saying that Siouxland teams don't want them in. They like the tradition and regularity of 10 teams and round robin playing. Any bigger and you don't play everyone twice. And when WC had a conference and now is trying to say we can't get in, will petition the state to get their way. Don't reward them.

I'm just telling you right now- none of the Siouxland teams will be in a conference with WC- they will all leave and form their own and let WC deal with it themselves.
You have the authority to make that call? or just your opinion?

I think we're all just speculating, but if you look at a map, and look at enrollment numbers, it's hard to claim they're not a good fit.

Reactions: sarcastico
Here is the official press release Western sent out.

On Monday, January 18, the School Board of Western Christian High School voted to begin the process of leaving the Lakes Conference. Although this change will not come into effect until after the 2021-2022 school year, our hope is that proactive communication will result in ample time for each district to plan well. Western Christian has been part of the Lakes Conferences (LC) since 1997-1998. Over the past decade, the LC has lost three school districts, Sheldon, Emmetsburg and LeMars, leaving our conference with just six school districts. Our primary reason for choosing to leave the LC is due to the fact that geographically, Western Christian is an outlier. Traveling to each conference event during the school year is time consuming, expensive, and most importantly, pulling student-athletes from class far too often to participate in athletic contests. In addition to concerns directly related to travel distance/time, we are also interested in being part of a conference where school size and instructional programs are more comparable, and where students can compete with neighboring community schools. It should be noted that we have appreciated working closely with talented activities directors, coaches and teams in the Lakes Conference; we simply believe that it is time to engage in a positive solution to a problem. At the end of the day, our goal is to do what is best for students.
Travis Kooima,
Activities Director
Western Christian High School

It sure sounds like they are planning to join another conference and I would be surprised if they did not already have something in the works. Based on the criteria they mention the Siouxland surely makes the most sense. As can be seen in this thread there is still a lot of animosity out there towards Western from some of the other schools which could make that difficult. But I also know that viewpoint is not shared by everyone as I have heard from others who would be on board with Western joining. Overall, I don't feel there is the same level of opposition towards having Western join that there was in the past and I could see it happening now. I think it is pretty outlandish to think the conference would disband if Western joins.

As for the Lakes, they are in a tough spot. You have these 3A schools out in no man's land that will either have to play against 1A programs or travel a long way to play schools their size. It is sad to see what was once a great basketball conference go this route but I can understand why the schools that left did. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

The Siouxland will not disband or do a huge rework just because WC and Unity get in. That is just a pouty attitude that I don't think any of the schools have. A more realistic outcome would be the smaller 1A schools or the locational outliers take the chance to find another conference IF THEY WANT. No one will force anyone out and a 12 team conference is easily possible.

Right now each team gets 3 non conference games on their schedule (one usually no on a Tuesday or Friday night) If you add two teams and get rid of your non-conference games it would be just one more game a year for everyone to play each team twice.

Unity already plays 4 games a year against Siouxland teams including cross town rivals MOC.

BHRV already plays Western every year in football and the business and work atmosphere in the towns doesn't implode.

Reactions: NWIA_37
Right now each team gets 3 non conference games on their schedule (one usually no on a Tuesday or Friday night) If you add two teams and get rid of your non-conference games it would be just one more game a year for everyone to play each team twice.

Except the limit is still 21 games, right?

Can't have a 12-team league and play double round-robin. That's 22 games.

This would never happen but was fun to think about: There could be an entire rework all together of NWIA conferences for this to work, which would be a nightmare but the Siouxland, Lakes and War Eagle can create 3 different conferences with the current school sizes, tradition, and geography. This may also upset the traditionalists, and there are many!

Can always flop some between Conference 1 and Conference 2 to help with some of that travel discrepancy.

Conference 1 (Big school)
- Storm Lake (597)
- Spencer (525)
- MOC-FV (330)
- Sioux Center (310)
- ELC (295) - Worst travel - 89 miles to Sioux Center
- Spirit Lake (291)
- Sheldon (277)
- Okoboji (250)

Conference 2
- Cherokee (244) - worst travel - 92 miles to Larchwood
- West Lyon (233)
- Unity Christian (227)
- Sibley Ocheyedan (195)
- Western Christian (192)
- Rock Valley (191)
- West Sioux (190)
- Hinton (176)
- Boyden Hull (171)

Conference 3 (small school)

- Central Lyon (167)
- South O'Brien (144)
- Akron-Westfield (136)
- Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn (133)
- MMCRU (126)
- Gehlen Catholic (110)
- George-Little Rock (100)
- Harris-Lake Park (76)
- Trinity Christian (55)
- Remsen St. Mary's (50)

In my completely hypothetical situation ELC could also vie to get into the Twin Lakes with other area teams being in it up there, they would be the bigger end of schools but there's plenty of 2A and talented 1A teams in that conference. This bumping Cherokee up to the big school's making the conferences 8-8-10

I’m not sure I didn’t know the limit was 21.

"All member schools of the Association are permitted to play a maximum of 21 interscholastic basketball games during the season. This does not include district, substate or state tournament games. A member school may elect to play in an invitational tournament or conference tournament. However, each game played is included in the 21 game limitation."

The Siouxland will not disband or do a huge rework just because WC and Unity get in. That is just a pouty attitude that I don't think any of the schools have. A more realistic outcome would be the smaller 1A schools or the locational outliers take the chance to find another conference IF THEY WANT. No one will force anyone out and a 12 team conference is easily possible.

Unity already plays 4 games a year against Siouxland teams including cross town rivals MOC.

BHRV already plays Western every year in football and the business and work atmosphere in the towns doesn't implode.

You need to think outside of boys basketball. You think every volleyball coach in the siouxland would be excited to have WC join? I’d think probably not.

What I think is ridiculous is WC is going to apply knowing the siouxland says no and then petition the state to push them in. That will really get everything off on the right foot. I tend to agree with nwiowahawkeyes: the siouxland will dissolve if WC gets in. It’ll be too bad that one of the tradition rich conferences in Iowa HS sports will be no more.

If Unity and WC both appeal to the state, or if one of them does, and the state shoves them into the Siouxland you can say goodbye to the Siouxland conference. Sheldon got out of the lakes to get away from WC and BH as well as RV do not want to be in the same conference with WC-. Nobody would benefit from WC joining when they are all part of the same community. I see the Siouxland breaking up into a whole new conference and leaving WC sitting on the sidelines with a few other schools. Its too bad that they think they can shove their weight around to get where they want.

Huh. I'm telling you right now that Western has the votes of both the ADs and the Administrators to get in. They obviously didn't leave on a whim.

Huh. I'm telling you right now that Western has the votes of both the ADs and the Administrators to get in. They obviously didn't leave on a whim.

😂😂 I can tell you right now that WC does not have the votes. The Siouxland will vote them down. They will need to appeal to the state. If you don't beleive I will break it down by schools starting with the smallest....

GLR: Obviously a no- a small school in a conference with large schools- they will vote no unless they leave 1st- either is possible.
BH: No- same town- have a good relationship with WC- don't ruin it by playing them in sports 11 times a year instead of 1.
RV: See above- similar circumstances. And BH and RV use to play WC in the 90s and stopped due to conflicts...... so lets start it again? Don't think so.
Sheldon: They left the lakes and WC behind- now vote them in? Doubt it.
Sibley: Same reason as GLR- they struggle to compete in sports now- why bring an annual powerhouse?
CL/WL: Not 100% sure here- but the conference has too good a relationship with the BH/RV/Sheldon schools to go agains them.
MOC: Didn't want Unity in- same reasons BH/RV don't want WC in- so why vote for them to get in.
Sioux Center: I guess they possibly could vote yes- but doubtful due to strong relations with other schools. And they just dropped WC from their Bball schedule a couple years ago- so now play them every year? Doesn't make much sense.
Boji: Honestly don't know but again- same as Sibley- why bring an annual powerhouse to beat you down every year.

So if you can convince me that 6 of the above schools are going to vote yes I guess I will eat my crow- but when WC has to appeal the state and Siouxland realigns..... I guess we will wait and see. But from what I know, and I like to think I know a lot- WC does not have enough votes or anywhere near to persuading a school or 2 to change their mind to get them in.

Have lived in Sioux County my whole life, & some things are constant:
  • The kids almost always get along great with their public/private rivals. We grew up playing off-season pick-up ball with everyone that shows up to the playground & were great friends.
  • Most of the parents get along great, they live & work with each other every day.
  • We're all sports fanatics and love watching kids we know personally play.
  • Some AD's/coaches have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to playing private schools.
  • Every school has a few a-holes that ruin it for everybody. Usually failed athletes themselves, or trying to relive their glory days thru their kids. These are the same dipsh*ts that yell at the refs, the opposing players, and even at their own coaches/players. You're an embarrassment & don't ever realize it! Maybe some of them even decided to post here?
I'm sorry, but if you're an adult that allows a kid's game dictate who you do business with, there is something wrong with you.

How does Pella survive with Pella/Pella Christian in the same league?

Last edited:
Really interesting thread and takes. No dog in this fight. Curious to see how things play out.

Re - How does Pella/PC survive?
That was a very heated rivalry 60's and probably through early 90's. At some point, the schools and administrations started coordinating and working together. There is a lot of school activities, classes and programs shared between them now. Calendars, closings, late starts, breaks are tried to line up together as well. They are pretty close to each other proximity wise too - both in the same area of town.

Why? From what I've been told, it's not the same family-wise. In the past, most students were lifers, either going to Pella or PC for the entirety of their schooling. Now, there is a lot more back and forth where maybe they go PC through middle, then Pella in HS, or vice versa. Or, a family may have the older kids going to PC but can't afford for all kids to go, so the youngers may be at Pella, or vice versa there too. I've heard of kids changing mid-HS as well. Hence the coordinating between the administration of the two schools. It wouldn't work for families with kids at both schools if calendars and schedules didn't line up.

I'm not from there but have distant family that fills me in. I hear it is still a rivalry but things have cooled down and there seems to be some cross-support if the rival is doing well in something.

Reactions: theocia
After talking to some people about this topic face-to-face, my stance has changed. The views people hold might not account for every fan but it accounts for the majority of the people I have talked to.

Nearly every time the conversation starts, it goes along these lines. "So why doesn't the Siouxland let Western in? Are they afraid of some competition? Another one that's been thrown out is "Who are you to say if Western should get in or not?" (This has been said multiple times as if we have a say in wether they get in or not) The last one I've heard wasn't from everyone but it was still said. "Now the Siouxland HAS to let Western in because they left the Lakes." They almost expect Okoboji to leave the conference so they can get in.

Now I know there are Western fans on this website who are very level headed and I myself cheer for them all the time unless they are playing my team. I am not talking about those people. There are also the very loud and arrogant minority of parents and fans that carry the opinion that they are owed something by everyone. This is the attitude and main reason the Siouxland won't vote them in.

Last edited:
This thread took a turn, but I for one would like to see Western in the Siouxland.

Boys basketball would be great - maybe not quite up to what it was in the Lakes in the past, but very close. Volleyball would be unfortunate for the Siouxland teams, but it would actually lead to better competition for Western, especially since Le Mars left the Lakes. Plus, in general - I think that games are better when you are playing teams closer to you. Western's rival in the Lakes was Le Mars, with Spirit Lake/Spencer a bit behind. Now that Le Mars is gone, Western is lacking that "down the road" rival - which I think is the big reason Western is now jumping. They'd get a ton of those by joining the Siouxland.

I really would like to hear more discussion about what Spirit Lake, Storm Lake, and Spencer are going to do.

This thread took a turn, but I for one would like to see Western in the Siouxland.

Boys basketball would be great - maybe not quite up to what it was in the Lakes in the past, but very close. Volleyball would be unfortunate for the Siouxland teams, but it would actually lead to better competition for Western, especially since Le Mars left the Lakes. Plus, in general - I think that games are better when you are playing teams closer to you. Western's rival in the Lakes was Le Mars, with Spirit Lake/Spencer a bit behind. Now that Le Mars is gone, Western is lacking that "down the road" rival - which I think is the big reason Western is now jumping. They'd get a ton of those by joining the Siouxland.

I really would like to hear more discussion about what Spirit Lake, Storm Lake, and Spencer are going to do.
Once Lemars left the Lakes it made it really hard for those teams. Spirit Lake could possibly find a fit somewhere else a bit easier being a 2A team but with Spencer and Storm Lake being 3A teams they are almost stuck on an island due to their location. Is there even anywhere close for them that they would fit?

Storm Lake to the Hawkeye 10? Glenwood is a ways away, but There are plenty of teams that make a 2.5 hour trip for conference games. I can see Spencer going with Algona, Humbolt, Spirit Lake, Esterville.

Once Lemars left the Lakes it made it really hard for those teams. Spirit Lake could possibly find a fit somewhere else a bit easier being a 2A team but with Spencer and Storm Lake being 3A teams they are almost stuck on an island due to their location. Is there even anywhere close for them that they would fit?

Estherville either, twin lakes maybe and have a big and small class? Without completely reworking everything else, I'm not sure. Estherville to Gowrie (SE Valley) is a plenty big hike, but Graettinger already does it.

Group 1
Storm Lake (597)
Spencer (525)
Estherville (295)
Spirit Lake (291)
SE Valley (226)
Pocahontas Area (210)
Emmetsburg (209)
Sioux Central (202)

Group 2
South Central Calhoun (183)
East Sac County (174)
Man NW Webster (164)
Alta-Aurelia (156)
Newell-Fonda (133)
West-Bend Mallard (75)
Storm Lake SM (57)

Could play each team from other half of conference 1 time and your half of the conference play twice totaling in 20 games - 1 non conf pickup somewhere. Who the heck knows- could get interesting in the next couple years with some reworks. Otherwise some huge travel coming for some teams.

Storm Lake to the Hawkeye 10? Glenwood is a ways away, but There are plenty of teams that make a 2.5 hour trip for conference games. I can see Spencer going with Algona, Humbolt, Spirit Lake, Esterville.
Trips to Glenwood, Shenandoah, Red Oak, Clarinda, Atlantic, St. Albert, Lewis Central and Creston are all between 2 hours - 2:50. I don't see over half of the conference wanting to make those trips, especially on week nights. It'd be hard to convince them to extend an invitation/acception.

Rumors on the street in NWIA are that the Lakes are going to be “recruiting” teams to join them. Don’t be surprised if WC gets into the Siouxland WITH enough votes and Unity to follow. The smaller schools in the Siouxland will look to join the War Eagle and potentially the Lakes. Look for Boji to leave and join the lakes.

Rumors on the street in NWIA are that the Lakes are going to be “recruiting” teams to join them. Don’t be surprised if WC gets into the Siouxland WITH enough votes and Unity to follow. The smaller schools in the Siouxland will look to join the War Eagle and potentially the Lakes. Look for Boji to leave and join the lakes.
Unity just tried to get voted in a few years ago and it didn't pass why would they change their vote now. If they voted no to Unity who they already play they won't vote yes to Western.

Unity just tried to get voted in a few years ago and it didn't pass why would they change their vote now. If they voted no to Unity who they already play they won't vote yes to Western.
Just rumor on the street sir. Obviously all speculation at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT