ADVERTISEMENT

Junior High Soccer

Pinehawk

All State
Sep 16, 2003
How common are junior high soccer programs around Iowa? Someone told me that CR Prairie has a junior high soccer program and there must be more, but I wondered if anyone knew how prevalent they are?

Very few junior high soccer programs. Most of the kids that age who play soccer are with their club teams so there has never been a real big push to add soccer as a junior high sport.

Back in the eighties there were quite a few jr high soccer teams. Club soccer has taken over that niche, lets hope it doesn't impact high school in the future.

Thanks for the responses. I imagine that it's true that many kids are playing with their club team at that age. I wonder how many more kids would be playing soccer if it was an option though. I'm sure there are lots of kids that maybe don't have the opportunity or money for club soccer, or that might be coming from rec league programs and would be interested in playing for their school.
A junior high program might only be able to have enough players around higher population areas though I'd guess.
Club teams might look at it as competition, but I think there are kids out there who are never going to play club soccer, but that would play for their school. Which in turn would give some kids a couple more years of experience before varsity and help raise the level of play overall in Iowa.

Cedar Rapids School District has MS programs - several of the rural programs do club (if affordable) or AYSO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT